KUB219 Loader Cylinder Leak

Van Isle

Equipment
B7100D
Mar 12, 2016
Vancouver Island, Canada
Hi everyone, this is actually my first post. I'm not new to mechanical forums, so I know the rules, and did some searching and checked the stickies.

On my wife's grandmother's tractor that I use to maintain her driveway, till her garden, clear snow for her etc., the right side boom lift cylinder has just started leaking (not just a drip, it comes out pretty good when the boom is raised). It's on a KUB219 front end loader that is attached to a B7100 tractor. I just checked at the local Kubota dealership, and he said if it is just seals it would be about $200 with labour, but obviously he can't tell if there is scoring or bends or anything like that.

I have a few questions...I'm pretty mechanically inclined but have never touched hydraulics. Are replacing the seals on these fairly straight forward? He priced out the seal kit at about $80. Also, there are other hydraulic shops in town that might be a better deal, so I am curious if the seals on these are standardized sizes or if they have to come from a kubota dealer? Finally, if the the cylinder is shot, can a generic cheaper cylinder go in from a discount auto store or does it pretty much have to be a kubota cylinder?

Any tips or guidance on this would be super appreciated. Her late husband was a heavy duty mechanic so he may even have some of the specialized tools still around but thats just speculation and not sure if he ever had them...Basically I would like to save her some money, but if I'm going to have to try to fabricate my own spanner tools and spend a whole day doing this it will probably go into a shop (where I'm guessing it's an hour or so of labour).

Thanks!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Welcome to the forum.

A cylinder is pretty much a cylinder. To dis-assemble them, they are different. Some end caps are threaded, some have a piece that looks like key stock curled around in a groove with a hook on the end....and on and on.

Being of a mechanical mind, look to see how your are made, and proceed. The tools you have in your shop are probably all you'll need to get the cap off.

The dealer will have parts, and as you mentioned you can get them at a hyd. shop. They will be metric, but that's not a problem.

What will save funds is if you can get the cyl. apart and take it to the hyd. shop. Have them remove and reassemble. Then you know all parts are good not bent, scored, etc. and seals are on in order.

I would guess the seals at the hyd. shop would cost less then the package from the dealer.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
B219 cylinders are standard 2", (they were built by Aeroquip, a US company, for Kubota) so any hydraulic shop should have all you need to rebuild them. The end caps on mine were held on with large internal snap rings. There have been some threads recently on the difficulty of finding direct replacement cylinders for this loader, so finding a replacement cylinder may be more hassle than rebuilding the old one.
Check with Coleman equipment for the rebuild kits, should be way less than $80.

Attachments

Last edited:

seanbarr

Equipment
B7100DT (sold) - Branson 3520H
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
Head on over to Orange Tractor Talks and you'll find info there, including where you can buy seal kits. I did mine and it was actually fun & simple to do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Head on over to Orange Tractor Talks and you'll find info there, including where you can buy seal kits. I did mine and it was actually fun & simple to do!

And where did you think you were when you posted this? :rolleyes: :p :eek: :D :cool:

seanbarr

Equipment
B7100DT (sold) - Branson 3520H
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
Major Brain fart. I used the Tapatalk app which covers other forums as well.

(sitting in the corner with a dunce cap on my head)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Van Isle

Equipment
B7100D
Mar 12, 2016
Vancouver Island, Canada
Well that was actually a pretty simple ram to take apart (my first foray into hydraulics was luckily an easy one). The local hydraulic shop got me seals and he didnt' have a quote but figured it would be $35-$40 so that was good news. I'll have the parts later today and put it all back together tonight or tomorrow and hopefully no leaks!

Thanks again Lil Foot for the exploded picture, it was a huge help. (And everyone else that pitched in).