Knee pain from HST?

Mdkelley

Equipment
L3902, LP RCR1860, LP RTA1258, LP front 3rd function
May 26, 2022
Beaverton, mi
I will call the dealer about adding a cruise kit also, that would have been a nice option to know about at purchase time!

Blue316

Equipment
2016 L4060, Ford flail mower, etc.
Sep 19, 2021
Vashon Wa
I would also suggest wearing a shoe with as little heal as possible.
Maybe instead of putting your foot on the pedal just use the toe on the tip for forward and under to reverse.

Last edited:

catfishjim

Equipment
Jan 26, 2024
Ohio
I have had numerous problems with my knees and ankles once I started using a Kubota. It has taken me some time but I believe that I can shed some light on what may be happening. The step on my Kubota is over 16" off of the ground. To get on the tractor I must step up 16" and the grab the handles and pull myself up. After a day of working, cutting trees, and getting off and on my tractor my ankle and knee was swollen. So I had a welding shop weld another step on my tractor so that I only have to step up 8" at a time. Once I did this, my knee and ankle problems went away.

Attachments

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Kubota LX2610, 1951 Farmall M, 1967 John Deere 110 Rf, 2010 Arctic Cat 700
Apr 25, 2023
WI
20211102_113856.jpg

It is hard on my knee where the pedal is located especially trying to go backwards with the lost of 15% range of motion in my right leg. I liked the pedal set up of the John Deeres but couldn't beat the Kubota deals. 2 years ago I stopped drinking soda and coffee and drink water, water, water and seemed to help my body.

A year later after the hardware was installed my knee and ankle were really swollen after running equipment or on my feet all day.
20220824_204654.jpg

Apparently I had a torn pcl, and acl and 3 screws were digging into my meniscus. After 3 screws got changed out and braces with physical therapy for the swelling went down. Pulled muscles are tricky sometimes. Sometimes you don't notice them I had a bad acl and meniscus on the left knee for over 6 months no sign or pain until one day the knee locked in bent, went to the doctor and " you tore your acl and meniscus 6 months ago and blew it out, how did you not notice it ?"

Water, ice, and elevation a soft brac, compression socks all really help .

Last edited:

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
By necessity I fabricated hand controls for both the HST pedal and clutch pedal on my L2501.

The HST pedal hand control is bolted on, no welding required, and does not change being able to use the foot pedal. I have had many able bodied operators use my tractor and the hand control lever has never been a issue, as a matter of fact some users prefer it over the pedal. This might be a solution for those that experience foot/leg pain from extended periods of operating.
( I am not offering to build or supply controls).
I do not have a good picture of how I mounted the control on the HST pedal and right now do not have access to the tractor.

IMG_4703.JPG

Reactions: 3 users

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Kubota LX2610, 1951 Farmall M, 1967 John Deere 110 Rf, 2010 Arctic Cat 700
Apr 25, 2023
WI
Go see a Doc! I get both knees shot up a few times a year. Occasionally the right knee gets drained. You could have some fluid build up? Your age has nothing to do with it. I had a total hip replacement at 38 years old and 4 years later the other hip was done. Im 60 now and will be looking at getting the socket that the ball ot the prosthesis rides in replaced. I worked/played hard physically all my life and lift weights heavily starting at a young age. When Im gone at least I will have gotten all the milage my body had to offer! :rolleyes:
That's crazy. I was supposed to have a knee replacement at 34 but the surgeon said I was too young for that so he pieced my knee together.

slider_buck

Equipment
2023 l4060
Dec 20, 2023
Ohio
Get you a grand series. I have the HST plus on mine and could literally run the HST pedal with my fingers all day long if i had to. Very easy movement.

John D 2

Equipment
B2601 54inch MMM, carry all, boom pole, fertilizer spreader.
Jun 6, 2023
Texas
On my B2601 it wasn't my knee, but my Achillies tendon.
After reading several comments about the reverse pedal being over sprung, I decided to reduce the force needed by removing one of the springs.

It made all the difference in the world. My tendon no longer hurts, and the tractor is much easier to operate in reverse.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Anyone get a sore knee after operating the HST pedal for a few hours? I have never had unexplained pain and a swollen knee in my life (usually it is obvious what I did when I have pain), and now have had pain and swelling a couple times just in my right knee in the past week. I noticed this again today after a couple hours on the tractor last night and the only thing I can think of that has changed at all in my routine is running that tractor foot pedal. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what might be done to prevent or eliminate the situation.
Many years ago I was using my Ford 8n to push snow ( 4 speed with R) I did it for about two hours - my left leg was so sore I could barely walk!!!! NOW that was a clutch - not a HST pedal, but the pain was the same!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I'd guess the tractor model and the seat model and seat setting are the determining factors. How one's body is positioned, height in relation to pedal that would irritate a particular body part.

Reactions: 1 user

SHAWZER

Equipment
Kubota 3680
Nov 14, 2023
Meaford , Ontario
My right knee would be sore after 5 -6 hours in a F3680 blowing snow .

I moved the seat ahead a few notches and that seemed to help .

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
From what others have reported, the amount of force required and position of the treadle is different on different models. So, if any of you are still having issues, it might be worth going down to a dealer and trying some different models.