king kutter tiller not fitting

Ugly

Equipment
BX22 with Fel and grapple,deck,front blower,backhoe, push blade, sweeper, plow
Dec 28, 2015
Elysian, MN
I purchased a new king kutter tiller last fall, model #TG-48-XB-OK and would like to put it on the back off my BX 22 but the pto shaft is about six inches to long. Do I need a custom quick hitch or cut the shaft off? Any suggestions would be appreciated. The landpride was not suggested by my Kubota dealer for just personal tilling, he said it wasn't worth it but now I wonder. Please help!!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Most implements come with a standard length pto shaft for a universal fit. This is a pretty common problem. You got a couple options.

Option 1: Install a quick hitch on your tractor. That could make up the distance you need. If you already have a quick hitch, see option 2 and 3 :D

Option 2: Cut the pto shaft down 6" so it fits. Double check to make sure it doesnt bind after cutting shaft down and tiller is installed. You have to separate the pto shaft in halves. Then take 6" off each of the halves. Sawzall with a metal blade, hack saw if your feeling froggy, or a cut off wheel on a chop saw will do the trick. Just make sure and cut the shaft down on the ends that sleeve each other. Not the ends that attach to the tractor and implement :D

Option 3: buy a shorter pto shaft

Last edited:

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Easy way is to just cut the PTO shaft to the right length. All set.

Grumpyjoe

Dec 21, 2016
Miller
Rather than start a new thread for the same problem I too have this problem. I have a BX25d and when I fit the tiller up to the 3pt I only have a few inches left between the joints on each end. The photo is not real clear but I only have 4 inches of plastic sleeve between each hub. If I take off the plastic sleeve I might have enough shaft to still allow sliding and sufficient engagement.

Attachments

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
I purchased a new king kutter tiller last fall, model #TG-48-XB-OK and would like to put it on the back off my BX 22 but the pto shaft is about six inches to long. Do I need a custom quick hitch or cut the shaft off? Any suggestions would be appreciated. The landpride was not suggested by my Kubota dealer for just personal tilling, he said it wasn't worth it but now I wonder. Please help!!
Just cut it to fit.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Rather than start a new thread for the same problem I too have this problem. I have a BX25d and when I fit the tiller up to the 3pt I only have a few inches left between the joints on each end. The photo is not real clear but I only have 4 inches of plastic sleeve between each hub. If I take off the plastic sleeve I might have enough shaft to still allow sliding and sufficient engagement.
With the implement at the most extreme down location on the three point, and PTO the most level [shortest PTO length], (Put blocks under the tires if tiller need to go go lower to get the PTO level), then mark the length between the shield bells, now lift the three point up and mark that distance.

Remove both sides and lay on bench measure how much depth you can get out of the inside shaft and 1/2" min extra and what depth you need to put in if the depth is not deep enough you will need to add a quick hitch to move the implement back to get the proper depth.
You need at least 1/2 the length of the shaft engaged all the time or you will have problems.

Yes you will cut it down, but you cut both sides down, and if you notice the PTO shield is cut different than the metal shafts, copy the length it is now, for proper over lap.

Ugly

Equipment
BX22 with Fel and grapple,deck,front blower,backhoe, push blade, sweeper, plow
Dec 28, 2015
Elysian, MN
I'm not to crazy about cutting the pto shaft off that much so does anyone have a suggestion as to where to get a quick hitch reseasonable or should I build one?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Depending on how the tiller mounts, you may be able to fab up some extensions to push the tiller back a little further. :)

08quadram

Equipment
bx2350d; Taylor Way 48" tiller; Farm King 50" snow blower
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
I have a Taylor Way tiller. I believe it is the exact same thing as you have. Made be same company. I had to cut quite a bit of my shaft also. I believe the requirements were a min. Of 6" overlap. Not hard to do.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
To help push it back a little you can get a simple cheap and effective Quick Hitch from Harbor Freight.

Grumpyjoe

Dec 21, 2016
Miller
I bit the bullet and cut the shaft to fit. I have 2 inches slide available and maybe at full extension 3 inches engagement. To get 6 inches of engagement I would have to buy the quick hitch at another $200 or modify the lower pins. I watched a few videos and everyone had a short shaft like mine or the quick hitch.

So is 3 inches of PTO shaft enough for 23 HP? I cannot see snapping the shaft and if it did I would just buy a new shear pin shaft. Then I would have to rebuild all the damage too I guess but is that likely? Can a 23HP tractor break a 3" engagement?