King Kutter Side Discharge Finish Mower Restoration.

EricTA

Sep 7, 2013
Columbus, Ohio
Guys! As my first post I would like to contribute my King Kutter FM-72-Y restoration. I had recently purchased a L3301 with a FEL and Grader Scraper. I was looking for a way to further utilize the tractor. My first thought was to buy a finish mower and that it would help with the break in process. So, off to Craigslist I went. Being relatively new to tractors I was fairly shocked at how expensive finish mowers were (and are). But I suppose my timing was just right. I found the King Kutter about 8 miles from my house. I met with the guy talked him down to 200$ and away I went with my new(old) finish mower. It was missing a the front tires and that was all.

So, began the next part of the restoration I hooked it up to my PTO of my tractor and tested it out. Well that ended up in a big cloud of smoke. At the end of the night I needed a new belt and realized i had a seized idler pulley and a couple of bad spindles. So i took to the internet ordered the parts and began my restoration.

Disassembly:

I completely dissembled the mower. this task would of been brutal if it would of not been for my Air Cat impact and a lot of PB blaster. All in all it was not too hateful of a job. I was not concerned with saving the bolts as i planned on putting new ones on anyway. I took care to place all of the bolts in plastic bags and labeled them to their respective locations. As with any disassembly i feel this is the most permanent part.

Now it came time to get all of the rust out. This was the most tedious task (as with any project). I ended up buying a corded grinder from Home Depot (Life saver as i was swapping out batteries every 10 min) and enlisted my DA sander. I probably spend around 12 hours sand blasting, sanding and grinding all of the parts. Aluminum Oxide was my friend when it came to cleaning the gear box.

Knowing that unless I had the whole thing hot dipped I would not be able to get all of the rust off. Again off to the internet I went. Home Depot sells a rust inhibiting primer and I knew it would be perfect for this project. With keys in hand off I went to Home Depot. I ended up buying 8 cans of primer and was crossing my fingers it was enough. The primer went on easy and smooth I laid down 2 coats. Wiping the surface in between coats.

On to the Paint.
I ended up using Majik Impeliment paint from Tractor Supply. Of course I painted it Kubota Orange. For any one who cares the mixture I sprayed with was 8 Oz paint, 1 oz reducer and .5 oz hardener. I ended up spraying 3 coats on all of the surfaces.

Reassembly:
after a quite pricey trip to several hardware stores i found all of the hardware i needed. It was quite difficult to find full thread 5/8 in bolts 4.5 inches long. I upgraded all the hardware to new 8.8 bolts and used nylon locking nuts on everything. From the Factory I cannot believe their lack of belief in using washers. I used them on everything i could. Surprisingly reassembly was very simple. The only thing that threw me off was the fact that I had to use my old spindle pulleys. The new ones were not the same size as the old ones.
Turns out my PTO shaft was also seized up also. A little heat and a torch fixed this. I tried to save the PTO shield that was on it but it was a failure. I ended up buying a new PTO shield as well. Cutting and assembling it was a breeze. While measuring the PTO shaft i ended up having 9" overlap between the shafts well withing the manufacturers suggested 6".

All things considered in got about 600 in it total and a new finish mower. It was a well worth while project.

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Awesome job......you cheated however!!:eek::)
Having a lift makes it easy! OK - kidding, maybe a tad easier!:p

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Very nicely done. Looks great. Everything always looks great color matched up. It is a ton of work to disassemble the mower, get all of the old paint and rust off, and do all of the mechanical repairs needed, but worth the effort when you get it all done, and the money you save when you can find a decent used one. I did the same thing on a Land Pride FDR 1672 I found used. Stripped it all down, replaced both idlers, one bearing spindle tower, and seal on the gear box. Then primed and painted Kubota orange. Saved about $1500.00 from buying the same model new. Mower works like brand new.

View attachment 28493

View attachment 28494

View attachment 28495

View attachment 28496

View attachment 28497

Last edited:

EricTA

Sep 7, 2013
Columbus, Ohio
Nice work! Now tell me about the Challenger, and what is under the car cover?
The Challenger is a 74 Triple Black SE. Why someone painted it red is beyond me. It was going to be our next project car but the wife and I decided to sell it as we have no time to give it the love it needs. Both of us work 50+ hours a week and have a kid. Needless to say our time is well spoken for. Sometimes I hate adulting, lol.

Under the cover is my 2002 Trans am. It has a fully forged 6.0L LQ9 iron block. behind that is a 6 speed T-56. It is really fun to drive. I have a couple projects planned for it here soon.

EricTA

Sep 7, 2013
Columbus, Ohio
Very nicely done. Looks great. Everything always looks great color matched up. It is a ton of work to disassemble the mower, get all of the old paint and rust off, and do all of the mechanical repairs needed, but worth the effort when you get it all done, and the money you save when you can find a decent used one. I did the same thing on a Land Pride FDR 1672 I found used. Stripped it all down, replaced both idlers, one bearing spindle tower, and seal on the gear box. Then primed and painted Kubota orange. Saved about $1500.00 from buying the same model new. Mower works like brand new.

View attachment 28493

View attachment 28494

View attachment 28495

View attachment 28496

View attachment 28497
Man I wish I could of found a rear discharge unit. Everything I have read people love them. Very good job on the mower BTW!

Camlocker75

Equipment
L3830, L3901, JD 5103
Dec 30, 2015
Alabama
That turned out great. I like the color match....great minds think alike:D I've done a few of these over since I've bought my land. I can't justify the price of a new one when there is still alot of life left in an older unit for alot less. There is some TLC and elbow grease required, but I enjoy it.

I bought this Woods RM59 for and it works flawlessly. Fella had it under a pecan tree and had alot of surface rust, but nothing critical. After a few hours of primer and paint, good as new. Very heavy duty unit for a finish mower:

2014-07-07 001 1086.jpg 2014-07-07 001 1062.jpg

I also purchased a Land Pride RCR2560 rotary cutter for $500.00. I did have to put on a new gearbox (online deal) since a driveshaft bearing was bad, but still came out alot better with a heavier cutter than buying a new one. Did the same thing, primer and paint...good to go.

20170114_122405.jpg