Keeping garage walls clean...HELP

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
We moved about 18 months ago into a home where we have a 3 car garage. Prior to that we only had carports. Well last weekend I decided to paint the floor with the Epoxyshield and it turned out great....so far (Before and after photos below). After doing that it looked so good I figured i would paint the walls. When I was removing my flags and pictures I was astonished at the spider webs.

Does anyone have any tips on keeping them down to a minimum? We have a monthly pest control service and have no bugs in the house so I can't really fault them, or can I? I try to blow them that does no good. I sweep them but with the photos and various critters hanging on the walls you can't really get it that way.

Attachments

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
You'll really appreciate the slick painted floor the first time it gets wet and you slip and fall on your ass and bust your melon on the concrete. Spider webs will be the last thing on your mind.............. Did that too because it looked nice. When I found how treacherous it was, I rented a floor sander and roughed it up. Been good ever since.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Mlarv

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 19, 2020
Crossville TN
I did the same to mine over the summer. I used light grey on the walking areas and gun metal grey were we park. I used a non skid mixed in the expoy so it is not slick. I have a Kubota Side Kick I parked on it two weeks later and it pulled up the expoy shield. on three of the four tires. I hope you have better luck. As for the spirder webs I painted my walls a satin finish. Makes it easy to clean, makes it brighter and seems to keep the spider webs down.

aaluck

Equipment
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
You'll really appreciate the slick painted floor the first time it gets wet and you slip and fall on your ass and bust your melon on the concrete. Spider webs will be the last thing on your mind.............. Did that too because it looked nice. When I found how treacherous it was, I rented a floor sander and roughed it up. Been good ever since.
I added a good bit of play sand in the mixture. If YOU would have taken the time to research the slipping issue BEFORE you started and properly prepared the floor and paint you wouldn't have had to 1/2 a*^ the job by 'roughing it up'. See the sand added to the mixture does the 'roughing' for you, no need to destroy the finish with a floor sander.

That's called 'common sense' and 'planning'. Like when you walk into a car dealership and the pretty painted concrete floor no one slips on...because they planned ahead and added texture, not make texture AFTER you are done.

Been raining here for three days straight floor has been very wet and haven't slipped yet not even a budge, but thanks for the concern. As usual, your comments have nothing to do with the OP and as usual add nothing to the conversation.

• Love
  • Dislike
Reactions: 4 users

aaluck

Equipment
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
I have a Kubota Side Kick I parked on it two weeks later and it pulled up the expoy shield. on three of the four tires. I hope you have better luck.
I hope so too. I know that can be an issue. Seems to be hit and miss.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
When I was removing my flags and pictures I was astonished at the spider webs.
Just think of them as the (free) "monthly pest control service" for the garage. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
Spiders eh?!
Some places here have a thingy on the wall that sprays a fly killer once every so often (Konk?) I wonder if there’s one to kill spiders?

I’m about to put steel up inside my shop rather than drywall. (One I can afford the 2x4 to strap it) Hoping it will be easier to keep clean and not need painting to rebrighten up after tractor/welding/wood stove smoke.
DC774CC9-658F-4E05-B376-16B016D5F55E.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Your floor looks great! I use metal interior walls and find large smooth surfaces are easier to keep clean. If you live in the country then dust, spider webs and critters are a given. Buy a decent shop vac and clean regularly. If you make things so air tight to stop critters you will need some sort of HRV/ERV to keep the air fresh and mold out.

Konk works great. If you chain smoke a carton of unfiltered Marlborough's every day then breathing poisons won't be a worry. Cleaning nicotine from all surfaces will leave you a sticky smelly mess though.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
You'll really appreciate the slick painted floor the first time it gets wet and you slip and fall on your ass and bust your melon on the concrete. When I found how treacherous it was, I rented a floor sander and roughed it up. Been good ever since.
^^ that's not how it works ^^
when done properly epoxy is not slick. Using floor paint is the cheap, slippery, crappy way out. Epoxy mixed with sand and/or flakes is plenty grippy, even wet, and even coated with a gloss clear coat. sorry you took a sander to your floor... eeek.

OP, Best way to stop bugs from getting the garage is make sure all the doors are sealed completely, and do perimeter sprays inside and out with TalStar P. I have a rubber seal on the ground and on the door. Plus the entry door.

Lots of snow, rain, and fluids are spilled on my garage floor all the time

Reactions: 1 users

Mlarv

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 19, 2020
Crossville TN
I hope so too. I know that can be an issue. Seems to be hit and miss.
I contacted Rustoleum to see what they could do for me. My garage floor is just under 1600 SQft so I used a lot of their product to cover it. The funny thing is it only happened in three little spots the rest is fine.

Attachments

aaluck

Equipment
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
I contacted Rustoleum to see what they could do for me. My garage floor is just under 1600 SQft so I used a lot of their product to cover it. The funny thing is it only happened in three little spots the rest is fine.
Interesting. At least it is limited to those areas

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
I use this in my garage and house:

basically you spray every edge and the entries of the garage and around the doors. You'll need to reapply every few months but it has worked wonders around our house for keeping spiders at bay. There is also exterior stuff too if you run into issues with spiders in the eaves of your house.

The floor looks great btw. Maybe there is a clear or something you can put over the top to reduce the risk of it lifting up like what Mlarv experienced?

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Here's a reputable site with lots of information and the chemicals for all kinds of infestations:

I've used their mosquito and cricket sprays with good results.

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
I figure if they don't help a bit of oil based paint and no one will know but me, and now everyone that reads this thread(-;
If I'm honest those are the ones that bug me the most. Like no one else knows or can see it but every time I can see that is just a little off. Like that one spot on the trim that got paint on it because you accidentally missed the edge with the razor by just enough when cutting the painters tape back. It drives me nuts even though I know it shouldn't and if that is my biggest problem in life I've got it good but still...

Mlarv

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 19, 2020
Crossville TN
I thought I updated this. Restoleum came though and is sending me a coupon for another gallon to repair the spots. I used Lock Down primer and it is not supposed to be used before Epoxy just water based according to their official site. I showed them that the Lowes site said it could be.