K-348-7 Finish Mower

MahalKo

Equipment
B6100D
Jan 7, 2010
Columbus, OH
I took this unit out to cut a field, and the blades keep falling off. The bolts are getting loose

The blades are attached with 3/8-16 left hand (LH) threaded bolts.

I am using a B6100 DT. The PTO turns clockwise (CW) looking at if from the rear of the tractor. The blades should turn counter clockwise, hence the LH threads. However, if I'm looking at it correctly, the blades are turning CW and spinning loose.

I believe this mower was made by Woods for Kubota. Did they make a CW and a CCW version?

Where have I gone wrong? Is it possible that I've installed the belt incorrectly?

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Alot of times the bolts have to be torqued on to a specific foot pound rateing. Might be a issue of your not puting the bolts on tight enough to hold. If its a used mower the last owner may have cross threaded the bolts onto the spindle and the hole is wallowed out and its sloppy. Go to the auto parts store and get a tube of thread locker if need be.

MahalKo

Equipment
B6100D
Jan 7, 2010
Columbus, OH
I was thinking the same thing about the bolts. I went to my local dealer and bought three new LH thread bolts @ $8.00 each! As well as three new blades. I'm hoping these new parts will resolve the problem of the blades getting loose during mowing.

Do you think I'm okay with the rotation of the blades. I have a CW turning pto and a K-348-7 finish mower. I may be looking at it wrong, but it seems like my blades are spinning the wrong way...

I am not bush hogging with it, but I am using it to cut a gasline right-of-way and two 1/2 acre set-aside fields. The grass is a bit tougher than the typical home lawn, but I'm not cutting saplings or heavy brush. If I spot a branch or large stick, etc. I dismount the tractor and clear the obstruction before proceeding.

The photo below show one of the fields I cut.

Attachments

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Yeah something sounds odd about left threaded bolts. Not being a smartass but its usually lefty loosie righty tighty, so I wonder why the threads on your blades are backwards. I know my Landpride finishing mower does not like to cut tall grass over 4 to 6 inches tall. It boggs down and doesnt cut well. I'm not sure if its because I have gator blades and its side discharge. If its a CW spinning PTO then the blades on the deck should spin in the same CW rotation. Maybe you need to invest in a bush hog for the thicker jobs.

Also for good measure and your own personal safty, walk the area first before you start cutting. Even when I do lawn maintenance for my regular customers I walk the lawn first to pick up kids toys and check to see if theres anything that can make a BIG mess if I hit it. Such as rocks or sticks that kids then to throw all over the place.

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
I believe this mower was made by Woods for Kubota. Did they make a CW and a CCW version?

Yes there is both rotations built by Kubota. I used to have a B6000E with CCW PTO. Implements were made specifically for this backwards application.
Can you look up that model number to see some of the specs as to rotation or gearbox versatility? Some implements will change direction and you might have to reverse it.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Boy oh boy the conflicts of US vs Grey Market tractors. I think MahalKo has a B6100 which should be the US version, so his PTO would spin in a CW rotation if Im correct from what I've learned here at OTT in the past. Your B6000 you used to own Aquaforce was a grey market tractor that had a CCW rotation of the PTO.

I think I've got this right with my OTT eDuMaKaShuN!

MahalKo

Equipment
B6100D
Jan 7, 2010
Columbus, OH
My local Kubota dealer was kind enough to provide me a copy of the K-348-7 user's manual. The blades rotate counter clockwise as you look down on the unit while it's in the cutting position.

The unit is made to run off of a Clockwise PTO, which is what the B6100 is equiped with. The manual also says to use the 2nd gear of the pto (~850rpm) at all times.

I have replaced the blades, flat washers, LH bolts, and lock washers. I added Locktite to the bolt threads and torqued them down tight with a 1/2"-dive socket wrench with a 9/16" socket.

I think the key is to avoid hitting hard objects with this type of mower. I know it's not a "bush hog", but it's all I've got right now, and I need my food plots prepared.

If anyone is interested in a copy of the users manual, send me a private message, and I'll e-mail you a pdf file copy.

--FR

weathergeek27

Equipment
B6100, L245, K-348-7 mower deck
Apr 13, 2016
US
My local Kubota dealer was kind enough to provide me a copy of the K-348-7 user's manual. The blades rotate counter clockwise as you look down on the unit while it's in the cutting position.

The unit is made to run off of a Clockwise PTO, which is what the B6100 is equiped with. The manual also says to use the 2nd gear of the pto (~850rpm) at all times.

I have replaced the blades, flat washers, LH bolts, and lock washers. I added Locktite to the bolt threads and torqued them down tight with a 1/2"-dive socket wrench with a 9/16" socket.

I think the key is to avoid hitting hard objects with this type of mower. I know it's not a "bush hog", but it's all I've got right now, and I need my food plots prepared.

If anyone is interested in a copy of the users manual, send me a private message, and I'll e-mail you a pdf file copy.

--FR
I know this thread is pretty old but do you still have the .pdf for the K-348-7 mower? Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

1947JDG

Equipment
B7100
Aug 26, 2019
Ionia, MI
I am also looking for a manual for this mower. If someone has one it would be appreciated. Thank you!

Pkelly57

Equipment
Finish mower
Oct 26, 2022
Odessa NY
I am refurbishing a 348-7 I picked up for free. I need 1 complete spindle shaft, bearings and blades. Also only have 1/2 of the pto. My Kubota dealer can't get the parts, but says the B348-7 is the same. I found those parts on Messicks but not ready to dump big money if they aren't correct. Anybody have a lead to a supplier for the parts?
This unit will be painted today and once I get the parts installed, will be for sale if there is any in out there