Just when I thought I'd seen everything....

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Kind of like a really slow speed PTO shaft. Lucky to not have broken some bones.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Utterly ridiculous and along the lines of leaving a key in the chuck, or working around lathes or mills with long hair or loose clothing. I remember hearing of a female student who had briefly attended the engineering school I went to, who was strangled to death when using a lathe. She was working alone in a machine shop on campus (some Ivy League school) and was discovered some time later, and it turned out that her hair got caught up in the lathe and she was killed.

Loose clothing and rotating pto shafts are another risk factor. Neil did a video about that a few years ago where he had a farmer on the channel who lost a leg when his clothing got caught up in the pto shaft while it was rotating.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
If there were more people like that there’d be less people like that….😳

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
It was the dipsh%t behind him than turned on the lathe! Looks like a lawsuit.
No Lock Out Tag Out placed. No repercussions because they are kids.

I think these youngsters born in and after the mid 1990's fall into two categories: Stupid as heck, or brilliant but arrogant!

Disclaimer, I did some pretty stupid stuff as a teen, but who doesn't. And my dad said the same thing about my generation. But nothing that stupid!

But turning on a machine while your classmate is working on it! That POS doesn't know the difference between a joke and a nuclear bomb.

There's prisons and jails full of the lathe switch operator. And victims in piles in the process.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
That was totally avoidable. You can hear juvenile idiots laughing in the background, one of which undoubtedly turned the lathe on. It’s just luck the kid didn’t have a leg torn off. I’ll bet those laughing dumbasses would have gotten a real charge out of that.

When I was a kid, those laughing would have gotten justice a bit later. Maybe wondering why their car would never run again. Or why their lockers are always full of fun surprises.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The way it was videoed it looks like it was all planned. Youngsters make it a habit these days to do foolish things to post on the internet.

A year ago on 4th of July a neighboring house had a group of teen and older guys light off fireworks. We heard a loud explosion, the concussion moved pictures on the walls. This was about 1000' from us. I went outside to see what happened. Another neighbor was on his way there with a medical bag. He is a detective and trained in CPR, etc.

What they did was bundle a group of some kind of fireworks and put one in reverse, light that one and it ignites the bundle. Something didn't go as planned, it exploded when the one who ignited it was just turning to run. It blew the bottom of his foot off. I saw the boot the medics were examining and the entire heal was missing. There was a hole in the ground the diameter of a PU tire and 2 1/2 ft deep!

Last year there was no party there. I imagine the homeowner is keeping a low profile waiting for some statue of limitations to pass hoping his son's friend let's it slide.

Last edited:

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
It was absolutely planned. Kid said he was strong enough to hold the chuck from turning and was challenged by another student. This happened at a tech school.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
It was absolutely planned. Kid said he was strong enough to hold the chuck from turning and was challenged by another student. This happened at a tech school.
^^^^
If true, that would certainly put a different 'spin' on things (no pun intended). It would also make the entire situation more understandable (someone bragging or taking a dare).

Through time immemorial.....there have always been men/boys with more bravado than brains.

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
Even under those circumstances there is no excuse for the idiots to let it run that long before hitting the stop button.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Here's a link to the incident I mentioned above.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Utterly ridiculous and along the lines of leaving a key in the chuck, or working around lathes or mills with long hair or loose clothing. I remember hearing of a female student who had briefly attended the engineering school I went to, who was strangled to death when using a lathe. She was working alone in a machine shop on campus (some Ivy League school) and was discovered some time later, and it turned out that her hair got caught up in the lathe and she was killed.

Loose clothing and rotating pto shafts are another risk factor. Neil did a video about that a few years ago where he had a farmer on the channel who lost a leg when his clothing got caught up in the pto shaft while it was rotating.
I've seen the after effects of a dude with long hair getting scalped when some of his hair got got in a high speed roller on a printing press 😲😲😲

It wasn't pretty. Quite a few of the employees got their hair cut before their next shift as well

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I've seen the after effects of a dude with long hair getting scalped when some of his hair got got in a high speed roller on a printing press 😲😲😲

It wasn't pretty. Quite a few of the employees got their hair cut before their next shift as well
My ex is a dietician in Hawaii and I remember her telling me of a young girl she was working with (in her role as a dietician when the girl was in hospital) whose hair got caught up in a gas-powered generator. It ripped most of her scalp off and it was devastating for the girl, her family and for my ex too. It's next to impossible to repair that sort of damage.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
In the mid-70s …when folks flew in their Sunday Best…..I was flying for a small airline when a youngster traveling with family was standing at the baggage-claim carrousel… when his necktie became entangled in the belt-mechanism and the child was killed. Parents have to be alert to dangers when they allow children to do things intended for adults.

I drew the wrath of another parent when I cautioned the man about letting his approx 8-year old boy pump gasoline into their car. I pointed to the sticker on the pump which warned about the Law which prohibits (in Tx) persons younger than 12 from operating the pump.

Problem is…the hot-head adults these days can get violent …even if/when someone tries to help. (I get it… I wasn’t trying to butt-into his business…. but lots of time adults are not Adult.)

I wish the fire-marshal had been inspecting that day.…gasoline went EVERYWHERE when the kid withdrew the nozzle prematurely.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
In the mid-70s …when folks flew in their Sunday Best…..I was flying for a small airline when a youngster traveling with family was standing at the baggage-claim carrousel… when his necktie became entangled in the belt-mechanism and the child was killed. Parents have to be alert to dangers when they allow children to do things intended for adults.

I drew the wrath of another parent when I cautioned the man about letting his approx 8-year old boy pump gasoline into their car. I pointed to the sticker on the pump which warned about the Law which prohibits (in Tx) persons younger than 12 from operating the pump.

Problem is…the hot-head adults these days can get violent …even if/when someone tries to help. (I get it… I wasn’t trying to butt-into his business…. but lots of time adults are not Adult.)

I wish the fire-marshal had been inspecting that day.…gasoline went EVERYWHERE when the kid withdrew the nozzle prematurely.
I always thought withdrawing prematurely was very wise/desirable!

• Haha

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I always thought withdrawing prematurely was very wise/desirable!
Apparently, …when it comes to my nitwit brother…. so did Daddy.