Just bought a B2601

IAkubotaGuy

Equipment
B2601
Mar 26, 2023
Iowa
Hi All,
I just bought a new B2601! Brought it home and unloaded off of the trailer drove it around the front yard and shifted from M to H while moving. I got the grinding sound and I’m hoping I didn’t screw up my new tractor it only has 1 hour on it. What do you guys think? I know I should have read the manual before I did anything.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
It’s probably fine. You are supposed to be stopped when you change from M to H or to L.

Reactions: 2 users

number two

Equipment
B3030HSDC L2501HST
Mar 26, 2021
Northern Lower Michigan
Welcome!
You will make many more mistakes as we all do.
Get familiar with the operators manual and think about every action you do with all the levers and such.
Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 user

IAkubotaGuy

Equipment
B2601
Mar 26, 2023
Iowa
Welcome!
You will make many more mistakes as we all do.
Get familiar with the operators manual and think about every action you do with all the levers and such.
Good Luck!
Thanks I appreciate it! I began reading the operators manual this evening and that’s when I saw the “break in” information and how your supposed to shift. I thought “ What did I do!” I only did it the once but I feel like a dummy!

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Thanks I appreciate it! I began reading the operators manual this evening and that’s when I saw the “break in” information and how your supposed to shift. I thought “ What did I do!” I only did it the once but I feel like a dummy!
Not to worry, it will be fine. As already noted....come to a stop before changing gear ranges. All you heard was the tractor 'protesting', unlikely any damage was done. Enjoy your tractor. (y)

Grindstone

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Mar 10, 2022
CT
Mistakes happen; we all make em. Also always make sure to check that you take the break off before you start moving. Ask me how I know that. "Hey why is my tractor acting sluggish?"

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Study your owner's manual enough so you can explain to someone else all the functions of the levers and pedals and how/when to use them. That will help to eliminate grief in the future!

Welcome to the forum and don't hesitate to ask questions about your new machine!!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Historically 'tractors' do NOT have sychros in their trannies just simple,cheap straight cut gears. THAT's why you have to stop before changing gears.

Reactions: 1 users

Shadetree605

Equipment
kubota b2100
May 1, 2022
north little rock, ar
Mistakes happen; we all make em. Also always make sure to check that you take the break off before you start moving. Ask me how I know that. "Hey why is my tractor acting sluggish?"
haha..i'm gulity of this as well ^^. went to move one day..and for some reason it would not move ?, hmmm..did my hydro go out again ?..nope ..i forgot to take the parking brake off !..lol.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Hi All,
I just bought a new B2601! Brought it home and unloaded off of the trailer drove it around the front yard and shifted from M to H while moving. I got the grinding sound and I’m hoping I didn’t screw up my new tractor it only has 1 hour on it. What do you guys think? I know I should have read the manual before I did anything.
Gotta be stopped to change range on the B. One or two of the 3 JDs allowed you to do it on the run.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
haha..i'm gulity of this as well ^^. went to move one day..and for some reason it would not move ?, hmmm..did my hydro go out again ?..nope ..i forgot to take the parking brake off !..lol.
We ALL know that YOU must have been the FIRST person to EVER forget to take the parking brake off.:ROFLMAO:

My Barn

Equipment
Kubota, Ford
Sep 14, 2022
Michigan
Hi All,
Welcome... All should be well? My Ford has a (manual) 12 speed and has synchronizer. Our Kubota HST has a 3 speed should be stopped before changing a range!
Each has one has a use...For moving stuff the HST is great. Enjoy your new Kubota it's a learning curve.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
It happens. I would not try to make a habit of it, but I can’t imagine it’s too much worse than grinding a gear on a manual transmission when learning to drive it…only one way to learn. Try to limit the unhappy sounds. 🥃

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
i might have been ?..this is my first tractor i've ever owned personally, so..you are prob right ?!..lol.
The REAL question is, who holds the record for the number of times attempting to drive with the PB set,........ in ONE day?