Junk it or fix it

Tolbertjdt

Equipment
Kubota 175
Dec 8, 2012
Ragley,Louisiana, USA
My mom currently has a Kubota L1500. I wanted to do something nice, so I power washed it to get off years of dirt and grime. Afterwards I noticed that the oil had a white sheen to it. I dropped the oil tank and did a complete clean up and replaced the gasket before reinstalling the oil tank. After driving it for about 30 minutes, I noticed oil misting on the front tires. I started looking and saw that the oil is coming from behind the fan, hitting it and that’s why I was getting a mist. Any ideas what it could be? I was told that it might be the front seals and that those cost up to $300. Is it worth it to repair or should I just take it to the recycle place. It has the tiller if that helps with a decision.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Welcome to OTT. Yes, pictures would be helpful.
I would imagine that the tractor is worth fixing, unless it is a cracked block, etc. If you have been using it, and the oil loss wasn't noticable before (you didn't mention that it was), then it can't be but so bad. When you say oil tank, do you mean the oil pan? And when you say a white sheen, do you think that water is getting into the oil, or do you think that water got in there when you pressure washed it? Knowing where the water came from will be key in deciding whether to fix or not.

Tolbertjdt

Equipment
Kubota 175
Dec 8, 2012
Ragley,Louisiana, USA
Yes I mean the oil pan. Sorry ex-military air craft mechanic. We used it for a month before I decided to clean it. I thought maybe I blew the oil pan gasket so I took it off, cleaned it, and reinstalled it. Now most of the oil is in the hollow spot under the fan and radiator. I will get pictures of it tomorrow when I get over to the farm. Thank ya'll for the reply.

Profnohair

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1500, 42" bh, box blade, G6200HST, Mahindra 450 with BH, FEL, etc.
Please do not junk that tractor. At the very least you should part it out. Or sell the whole thing to a OTT user.........

That is a work horse of a tractor and parts can be invaluable.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
postimage.org

You can upload and even automatically resize them from there (800x600 is about right). Once uploaded copy the "Direct link" of each picture, click the picture icon in the toolbar above the posting box here and past the link.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Damn wait a minute was there a tractor in any of those links? I couldn't tell with all those good lookin women at the bottom of the page...

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
I use an ad blocker on my browser so I was wondering what you were talking about til I flipped it off... :)

It's probably the front crank seal. It's not an awful job but it's a bit of work. The tractor has to be supported and the front axle casting removed (the whole part under the crank pulley where the oil is dripping). Then you can remove the giant nut that holds the pulley on and the gear case can be unbolted from the block. Drift the seal out, press in a new one and slap it back together. Flip though my L175 Restore Thread if you want to see some pictures of the job, the L1500 is basically the same as the L175.

One thing to note. I found that if I tried to simply slide the gear case back on the crankshaft the spring inside the front oil seal get pushed out. I had to remove the ring the oil seal rides on, push that into the seal from inside the case and then very carefully slide that on the crank.