Is there a way to “tune” a L4060 into a 4760?

802Driver

Equipment
LX2610SU 60" Bucket Land Pride54" Box Blade Farm King 4572 Rear Blade
May 18, 2020
Manitoba, Canada
I only have three tractors. If it’s not one of those three, it’s none of my business what anyone does with their tractors or equipment. I fully and completely agree with that, which seems to the crux of your response.

It’s like any other decision. Weigh the definite benefits, definite costs, potential benefits, potential costs, and do what you think best. Personally I do not have direct experience with being put through the wringer by the EPA or having an otherwise valuable piece of equipment rendered useless and valueless by problems with software mods that are no longer supported and can’t by undone by anyone but a dealer who won’t touch it for fear of losing their dealership. I have witnessed several associates go through both those situations with on road and off road equipment, and that was close enough for me. However, if someone wishes to tune, delete, etc. not my business. Being this is a public forum where numerous readers may be considering these sorts of mods, just listing the issues I have seen others actually experience to aid in their decision making process. My initial response wasn’t really aimed at the OP, or anyone specifically, but was, I believe, on topic. The OP, or anyone else, can certainly do as they please without any criticism or condemnation from me.

Edit: And I do recognize while it seems most members here are from the US and Canada, laws vary. That again goes back to the cost/benefit analysis. May be a very different analysis in Australia or Canada or South Africa, etc.
I could have left out my opening comment, that doesn't set the tone well. I will agree it is an open forum and I'm not here either to mud sling or to force opinions, I do agree with your most recent post though.

Reactions: 1 user

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Ok my friend has a question.

Say you live in a country where your government agency mandates and enforces said emission equipment on your vehicles. Other agencies within same said government use your tax dollars to purchase vehicles for their official government work. Then use your tax dollars to have all the emission equipment removed from said vehicle.

Any thoughts on this?

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI

Say you live in a country where your government agency mandates and enforces said emission equipment on your vehicles. Other agencies within same said government use your tax dollars to purchase vehicles for their official government work. Then use your tax dollars to have all the emission equipment removed from said vehicle.

Any thoughts on this?
Wait a minute... Are you suggesting there are places in the world where there are rules for thee, but not for me? What kind of backwards lands could this be? I'm appalled!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Wait a minute... Are you suggesting there are places in the world where there are rules for thee, but not for me? What kind of backwards lands could this be? I'm appalled!
Hypothetically speaking, my friend has some crazy thoughts sometimes 🤣

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC

Any thoughts on this?
Sounds like SOP for the US. As in Obamacare mandate for everyone (except the Congress that passed it). Affirmative Action for everyone (except the Congress that passed it). I could go on but I think that’s enough.

Reactions: 2 users

Robert Galka

Apr 30, 2019
Winnipeg
I’m about to pull the trigger in tractor, loader and front blower - and like the price of the L4060...
but I’m also a Mustang guy and have seen how much HP you can get out of a stock engine just with a PCM reprogram, or “tune”.

So - that my question. The L4060 and L4760 look like they are exactly the same machines - only difference is you are paying for Kubota to “tune” the engine to a higher level of output on the 4760... (or is there something else I’m missing?)

Is there a way to do that yourself or hire a tuner - like in the car world? Can you buy a 4760 ECU module for your L4060 and make more power?

It sounds like I’m trying to be cheap - and I’m not - I’m just asking if anyone has a more cost effective way to get the HP out of the lower output L4060 without just paying Kubota to flip a switch in the software for you...

Reason I’m asking is rooted in this - I will be trading in a TC45DA with a rear blower and keep getting the impression that the L4060 is “just enough” for the front blower and that the L4760 would be “better”...
(Located in W NY and live in a lake effect snow band with a 1/2 mile driveway and lots of drifts)
Thanks in advance!
Did you just buy a L4760 and not bother buying a L4060? I need a little more power for blowing snow with my L4060 and I am thinking of getting a L4760 tune.

fishpick

Equipment
BX24 & L4760HSTC
Dec 16, 2017
The High Taxes part of lovely NY, USA
Did you just buy a L4760 and not bother buying a L4060? I need a little more power for blowing snow with my L4060 and I am thinking of getting a L4760 tune.
I got the L4760 from the jump. Dealer had one and the price was right.
2 regrets -
1- should have gotten the rear remotes and the 3rd function when I bought it
2- didn’t exist when I got it - but wish I had R14s and not the R1s

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You can NOT just simply tune up a L4060 to a L4760.
It requires a ECM program change.

Reactions: 1 users

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
*Salvage ecu from a l4760
*select 4760 from the special menu on the digital display for the transmission torque schedule(no programmer needed)

Positive the ecu is not married to the body/transmission ecu. Only thing you would be missing is compensation codes for injectors unless you got them from the same machine...:sneaky: Which would not matter that much in the grand scheme of things.
Would I, prob not.
Installing a turbo sounds much more fun. I collected all the parts to turbo my l3560. Just couldn't find a used kx40 ecu....

Robert Galka

Apr 30, 2019
Winnipeg
*select 4760 from the special menu on the digital display for the transmission torque schedule(no programmer needed)

Positive the ecu is not married to the body/transmission ecu. Only thing you would be missing is compensation codes for injectors unless you got them from the same machine...:sneaky: Which would not matter that much in the grand scheme of things.
Would I, prob not.
Installing a turbo sounds much more fun. I collected all the parts to turbo my l3560. Just couldn't find a used kx40 ecu....
I found a company who could reprogram my ECU for seven extra HP. I'm assuming it is just a L4760 flash? I checked several engine part numbers and the 40-47 share every part number that I looked at. The 54-60 models have different pistons and block, probably lower compression. They all have the same injectors. Lots of different models across the board share engine components with the Grand L models.

Adding a turbo would be a lot of work and money. I might as well sell mine and get a L6060. I had mine for sale for a few months and didn't get any reasonable offers. It would have cost me $24.000.00 to upgrade to a L6060.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico

Any thoughts on this?
Yes. My thoughts are that anyone doing this is committing an illegal act and should be separated from their government employment.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Yes 'tuning' is a SIMPLE procedure. The only hardware you need is a computer with a CANbus interface. You then learn a programming language and 'cut code' to access the various 'registers' or 'EEPROM locations' where the 'data' is stored. The 'fun' part is scouring the net to find out What data is stored in which locations. Once you have the 'memory map', you just change the 'data'. Just be 100% sure that the new data you enter IS 'good' else bad things, really, really bad things can happen.
If you do it yourself, $50 for the CANbus interface/cable as you already have a computer. I prefer my old desktop,though any laptop could work.
If you pay someone, pray they KNOW what they're doing...one wrong bit and oopsy !
As others have said 'tuning' is illegal, but then again so is jaywalking,speedingand a few other things....

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Heck there's a city bylaw in Hamilton that you MUST shut off your vehicle..'antiidling law', though I dobt anyone's got a ticket.
I F'ing got one last year in MI!!!!!!!!!!!

175 F'ing dollars too........I hate the F&^((&&&(( government.......

I tried to fight it and it was like I owed Pauly money.....

Rant off........

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA

Would I, prob not.
I’d love to fabricate and install a Turbo on the L3560, it’s the perfect candidate. However, even after some research, I haven’t found a reliable source to tune the ECU. But, I’m still looking and evaluating alternative solutions.

Mike

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
give the 'project' to some EE students. They can 'reverse engineer' the current ECU, add in turbo control and cut an 'ap' for you to 'tune from phone'.

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
I’d love to fabricate and install a Turbo on the L3560, it’s the perfect candidate. However, even after some research, I haven’t found a reliable source to tune the ECU. But, I’m still looking and evaluating alternative solutions.

Mike
That is where the kx40 ecu is key. It is the factory turbo version of the 1803cr.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Just spend the money and buy the digimaster and software.