Is the L3800 good for running a 5 foot bush hog?

Carl k

Equipment
L3800DT
Jun 3, 2012
Rice, Virginia
Hi,

Well I have the L3800 coming Tuesday. Principle use will be for bush hogging about 3 to 4 acres every two weeks on a little hilly ground, maybe longer if the weekends are rainy. I have a 5 foot bush hog. I currently have a 62 year old 8N that was struggling a little with the bush hog in thick grass. The L3800 puts 31 hp to the pto. The bush hog requires 25 minimum. So on paper the tractor should not have any problem running the bush hog. I assumed it would be OK, however, I never asked the forum if the L3800 was a good match. Kinda late now, but I just want to sleep better knowing I didn't make a mistake. BTW the L4600 was too big for my garage, that's why I chose the L3800. Please tell me I didn't screw up. Thanks

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
AW LAWD YOU DUN DID IT NOW! You picked the right size tractor. Yeah you'll be fine running a 5ft hog behind the L3800.

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
I thought that the reason we bought new bigger tractors was so we could by new implements!

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Your L3800 has more horsepower and torque than the 8N- you should have no problem at all.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
What they said, that's the size I would pick for it, plenty of power.

Carl k

Equipment
L3800DT
Jun 3, 2012
Rice, Virginia
Thanks everyone very much for your responses. Sure glad I didn't make a mistake on the new tractor. Now I can't wait till Tuesday. Carl

searay

Equipment
L3200, GMC Yukon, rotary cutter, pallet forks, box blade, post hole digger.
Dec 28, 2010
Courtice, Ontario, Canada
I have a 1 year old L3200, same tractor with a smaller engine and I purchased a 5 foot CASE rotary cutter that I have that I use with it, no problem!

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
The 3800 pulls a 5' rotary with Ease! Will pull a 6' just fine also.

I have been very, very impressed with my L3800! Ya did good! :)

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Carl K must still be out on the new tractor- I had hoped to hear from him, and maybe see a picture or two. Maybe he's sleeping in the seat tonight...

Carl k

Equipment
L3800DT
Jun 3, 2012
Rice, Virginia
Hi hodge,

I postponed delivery till today, Wednesday. I didn't want to do the buyer's orientation in the rain yesterday. There's so much I need to learn about this tractor I didn't want to be rushed between rain drops. Will call the dealer in a few minutes to let him know to bring it over. I will let you know what I think of the L3800 once I ride it around today. However, take everything I write with a large grain of salt, I can only compare it to the 8N.

Carl

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Pictures. Don't forget pictures.

Carl k

Equipment
L3800DT
Jun 3, 2012
Rice, Virginia
The Kubota arrived this morning. It is bigger than I expected. The dealer I bought it from didn't have any L3200s or L3800s on his lot so I had nothing to go by when I bought it except what I saw on the internet. (Another dumb move on my part, but I really wanted to replace the 8N, now!). I drove the L3800 around a bit with my 5 foot bush hog on today. No struggling at all. Haven't used it yet to do any bush hogging. I use the bush hog to mow my property every two weeks so I may have to wait a couple of weeks to see how well it handles the grass, but I expect it will easily run the bush hog. I will let you know. I don't think I made a mistake buying this tractor!

Now I have a couple of questions for those who have an L3800: 1) is there a fuel cut off valve I need to turn off when I put the tractor away. I didn't see anything in the owners manual about this. (Forgot to ask this of the technician who did the orientation with me.) 2) The tech said there was a mistake in the owner's manual about the engaged position of the 4 wheel drive lever. The manual says to pull UP on the lever to engage the 4 wheel drive. He seems to think pushing the lever DOWN engages the 4 wheel drive. The decal on the tractor also shows that the engaged position is UP. I tried both positions on the tractor and I can't tell which is engaged. Could someone help me with this? Does pulling UP on the lever engage the 4 wheel drive? Thanks for your responses.

PS - I will try to post some photos soon, but I'm technically challenged in this regard, will need help from my better half when she gets home. May have to wait till the weekend for photos.

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Yep, the L3800 is not a 'small' tractor. Congrats! You did well! :cool:

No fuel shut off valve on mine, first rig I've had that didn't have one. I will likely add one at some point.

Pull up on the knob for 4WD. Push down for 2WD. I use 2WD about 90% of the time, only 4WD when needed.

I mowed several hours with mine (5' hog) yesterday and graded 1 mile of gravel drive today. Every time I use the L3800 I like it more! :D

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I never turn the fuel off on my B7100; neither do we shut it off on my dad's Ford 3930. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no reason to shut it off for a diesel, other than to change a fuel filter.

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I never turn the fuel off on my B7100; neither do we shut it off on my dad's Ford 3930. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no reason to shut it off for a diesel, other than to change a fuel filter.
Just to change the fuel filter for me. I don't turn em off on anything.

Carl k

Equipment
L3800DT
Jun 3, 2012
Rice, Virginia
Homefront - It was pretty jerky when I had my bush hog on it. It acts as though the lever is stiff. It could be my imagination but it seems the lift is jerky because the lever has so much friction, or more likely the hydraulic valve is so stiff, that its almost impossible to move it smoothly and slowly at the same time. Anyway, yeah its pretty jerky. Maybe it will wear in.

Bluegill - Thanks for the feedback on my 4 wheel drive question.

I have one more question. Could someone please tell me what the color of new Super UDT oil is in the transmission sight glass. Checking the sight glass while the tractor is off in my garage I don't see a line of oil and air. I just see a solid very light green tint. I'm trying to determine whether the oil is a little over full or not even coming up to the glass at all. Thanks.

Last edited:

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
Congrats on the new tractor as for the 4WD I have a Grand L3830 and down its in 4WD and up its not as the decal indicates. Quick way to check is raise the front of the tractor slightly with FEL and back up just a bit youll see front wheels turn if in 4WD. Have fun with the new toy and yes plaese send pictures......Dan

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Congrats on the new tractor as for the 4WD I have a Grand L3830 and down its in 4WD and up its not as the decal indicates. Quick way to check is raise the front of the tractor slightly with FEL and back up just a bit youll see front wheels turn if in 4WD. Have fun with the new toy and yes plaese send pictures......Dan
The L3800 4WD lever is opposite your L3830. Up is in 4WD.

Carl, the trans oil is almost clear. You might need to get it out in good light to see it. Also look at the sight widow while it's running to see if oil is there.

The tech said there was a mistake in the owner's manual about the engaged position of the 4 wheel drive lever. The manual says to pull UP on the lever to engage the 4 wheel drive. He seems to think pushing the lever DOWN engages the 4 wheel drive. The decal on the tractor also shows that the engaged position is UP.
The manual and decal are right. Can't believe the tech doesn't know how to put this model in 4WD. :confused:

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Homefront - It was pretty jerky when I had my bush hog on it. It acts as though the lever is stiff. It could be my imagination but it seems the lift is jerky because the lever has so much friction, or more likely the hydraulic valve is so stiff, that its almost impossible to move it smoothly and slowly at the same time. Anyway, yeah its pretty jerky. Maybe it will wear in.
Mine is a little jerky, but only if raising Very Slowly. In normal use I don't notice it at all. If I hadn't read about the 'jerkiness' on this and another forum, I would have never notice it with my tractor...