Is no response abnormal

tums20

Apr 3, 2016
Cal
Went into dealer Wednesday to ask for quotes a week after stopping in and talking generalities. Asked for BX235 and B2301 TLB with thumg quote as well as a ROPS quote for my older B6100
Thursday night emailed expressing interest in hearing the quotes as I was in decision mode.... nothing

Is this normal? Grant you 2 years ago I went in and asked for my ROPS and they dropped the ball and I put it on the backburner
John Deere and Massey dealers have been more than forthcoming basically if this is the level of response how am I supposed to guess the response to an actual issue willl be handled. Not looking to bash but may I be missing something or the dealer here is so focused on large purchasers My small purchase really doesnt even generate a response

I should add the owner gave me his card and his email gets returned since they do not have that web address anymore

just ranting sorry really want a Kubota

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
No, but many explanations possible. Some sales staff don't do email well. Some blow off phone calls. In the long run, if it is not the owner or dealer that you are working with, it is really the service manager and techs that really count after you buy the tractor. Use treatment during visits to the dealership, if you can, to decide if it is a place you want to work with. If after 2 visits they can't return a call, maybe give up. I have gone elsewhere to buy a tractor when that happened.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
It shouldn't be normal, but unfortunately getting more common these days even with class 8 truck dealers.

Reminds me of back in 2008 when I first started wanted a compact tractor. I want a new Holland Boomer 30 horse. Tried every NH dealer around me and none would call back and when you went there it was like they had zero interest in selling you a small tractor.
Then one day I went to a NH dealer out of town. Sales guy was out so I asked the parts guy if he had a brochure. He went into the office and grabbed me the salesman's book.
I still have it.....it is a whole book on scamming the customer and ways to make every other brand of tractor look inferior. You can't even believe the stuff in it telling you how to deal with people. It is hilarious. And that is the day i got really turned off from new Holland, LOL.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I would say not normal also,

I am with Sheep - that person you "talked" to, may have lost your name and number, something happened in their little world to distract t them - yes I am making excuses for them.....but real world, things happen - mostly not good things either.

AS for email, some people just dont get it either.

Personally - I would give them another shot, go back EVEN if out of the way.......find the manager. Shake his hand and say "Been trying to get a quote from you guys, can I please get a fair deal on "X".

Make him feel as IF you have gone out of your way to try to buy and you really do not want to go to another dealer....blah blah....I call it getting the shovel out and slinging the $hit!

AND see what he will do. YOU know where you should be more or less price wise anyway, right? Where and how many dealers are in your neck of the woods?

Hook

Equipment
L3240 with LA514 FEL, Box Blade, Howard Rotovator, All Purpose Plow, Sub Soiler
Jul 6, 2010
Jackson, Georgia
I know this doesn't apply to Kubota tractors but years ago my wife and our youngest son and I stopped at a new car dealership during our search for a car for my son. I asked the salesman for a price on a certain model and he asked if I was going to buy the car that day. I said not without knowing what it costs. After a few minutes he came back with the sales manager and she posed the same question. Again I said I can't commit to buying if I don't know what it costs. They never gave me a price! We purchased the same model from another dealer. Sometimes buying a new vehicle/tractor is like fishing. If the fish don't bite you need to move.

Digger Dager

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M59 TLB, B3200 w/front snow blower, 3 @ ZD326 62" rear discharge mowers
Tums20, I would give them one more chance, then go to the next closest dealer.

We saw an M59 TLB on the local dealers lot, less than 2 miles away. A week later, before we could go talk to them, they had sold it to someone else 2 hours away. We understand, that's business. They wanted us to drive 2 hours to test drive someone else's unit.

Talked to a dealer 30 miles away. They had one on the lot. Asked if we could test it, they delivered it for free, we put 7 hours on it. We also bought it, and have since spent about $85,000 with them, for equipment, oils, parts and very few repairs.

The local dealer lost their Kubota licence, but I can't imagine why. ;)

Digger Dager

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I know this doesn't apply to Kubota tractors but years ago my wife and our youngest son and I stopped at a new car dealership during our search for a car for my son. I asked the salesman for a price on a certain model and he asked if I was going to buy the car that day. I said not without knowing what it costs. After a few minutes he came back with the sales manager and she posed the same question. Again I said I can't commit to buying if I don't know what it costs. They never gave me a price! We purchased the same model from another dealer. Sometimes buying a new vehicle/tractor is like fishing. If the fish don't bite you need to move.
Man, I hate it when a dealer does that and won't give you a straight answer. Most want to know what your looking for a payment.

Both of those examples will turn me off from a dealer fast. Holding keys hostage is another turn off. As well as trying to sneak in extra fees and charges in the financing.

If A plus B doesn't equal C then they have lost my business for good. ;)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

grandwazoo

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5200 TLB, Kodiak box blade, wicked root grapple, EA pallet forks
Dec 12, 2017
Finger Lakes
I have pretty thin skin when it comes to customer service or lack there of.
I was in sales as a young man, we are drifting away from taking care of the customer and caring in general.
85Hokie has a salient point that going in and asking for the manager might help and likely save you time. I walked in to the dealer close to me and the salesman didn't introduce himself and never cracked a smile, he could have been having a bad day. I don't want to try to win over a salesman, its not my job. Super easy to be friendly and shake a mans hand and be happy they want to do business with you. Lost art i am afraid. I took my money 30 miles further the salesman there was happy and grateful to take it. Glad I did! Hope you get your rig!

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
I had the same thing happen to me at a car dealer. I was in the market for a car and saw a used one at a dealer. I was going to buy new but stopped in to see what this one year old was going for. The salesman wouldn't give me a price. I asked a number of times how much. He finally asked me how much I would pay. I gave him a low ball number knowing that he would say no, and he did. All the time walking in the back to talk with the boss. "Are you going to buy it today?" I finally left and went to the dealer that I was headed to originally and bought new. The next day I stopped by the dealer where I was looking at the used car, same model, and told that salesman "You know if you would have given me a price on that car over there I may be driving that instead of this new one over here." I actually got a letter in the mail a couple of days later from the sales manager apologizing.

Move on. There are many other dealers out there.

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
Not having a web site sounds fishy to me.

May be a sign of going out of business.

Web sites are cheap.

And Email is not that hard.

Ray

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I had the same thing happen to me at a car dealer. I was in the market for a car and saw a used one at a dealer. I was going to buy new but stopped in to see what this one year old was going for. The salesman wouldn't give me a price. I asked a number of times how much. He finally asked me how much I would pay. I gave him a low ball number knowing that he would say no, and he did. All the time walking in the back to talk with the boss. "Are you going to buy it today?" I finally left and went to the dealer that I was headed to originally and bought new. The next day I stopped by the dealer where I was looking at the used car, same model, and told that salesman "You know if you would have given me a price on that car over there I may be driving that instead of this new one over here." I actually got a letter in the mail a couple of days later from the sales manager apologizing.

Move on. There are many other dealers out there.
My daughter ran into a bunch of those salesman when she was car shopping a couple weeks ago. Seems Honda in our area doesn't really want to sell cars. They pretty much had a take it or leave it attitude. Toyota seemed to be the same way.

Asked my daughter why she wasn't looking at other dealers. And all dealers have a pretty good selection of different brand used cars. She went to the Chevy dealership in town the next day. Test drove a mid sized Honda, mid sized Toyota, and bought a two year old Nissan Altima with low miles :D Chevy dealer wanted to make a sale :D

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Its the world we created.
Cell phones,web surfing and texting.
Many younger ones dont have any people skills whatsoever.
For many people if it seems unlikely they wont make a sale,why bother?
I know a wealthy man that went to the city looking to buy 2 new cars.
He wasnt wearing a suit or anything to indicate he had a huge wad of cash.
First dealer missed out on a sale of a lincoln continental and a mustang.

AKguy09

Equipment
LX3310/ Cab 1950 F- Cub
Nov 22, 2017
ellicott, colorado
I love Kubota tractors, I hate the dealers. Two different dealers here and when I call and want a price, they say they will have a salesman call back and it never happens. Unfortunately like others have said this is the world we live in. Poor customer service because if you want it they have it, not the service but the item.

21 acres

Jan 22, 2018
Dutchess county NY
I am also shocked at the unresponsiveness of my local dealer. I was actually worried when I first went in and gave my cell phone number that they would be too aggressive and call too much. The exact opposite happened. I had to call them 3 times to get a return call, and am still trying to get a price out of them. I can't believe Kubota doesn't mind that their network is horrible.

tums20

Apr 3, 2016
Cal
So i got a response with a 21.5k 25.5k quote for a BS23X or B2301 tlb not like the detailed quote i was promised with a " I was out sick and also on vacation" line This was the response to my second email really asking for their price. I responded with "Glad you feel better, looking at a 1025R unit as well" .... nothing
Then a day later responded with the 2nd quote i got from the JD dealer asking if they (the Kubota) dealer had any room on price still crickets

So the JD dealer has been totally helpful answered all questions
Ive been into my Kubota dealer 3 times asking for a B6100 ROPS cost to buy one as well

I believe even you in orange country know where this leads
This is the closest dealer dont want to have to drive a tractor 60 miles for warranty work to avoid them when JD is 5 miles away

Please talk me out of it lol

bgk

Apr 23, 2017
Accord, ny
So i got a response with a 21.5k 25.5k quote for a BS23X or B2301 tlb not like the detailed quote i was promised with a " I was out sick and also on vacation" line This was the response to my second email really asking for their price. I responded with "Glad you feel better, looking at a 1025R unit as well" .... nothing

Then a day later responded with the 2nd quote i got from the JD dealer asking if they (the Kubota) dealer had any room on price still crickets

So the JD dealer has been totally helpful answered all questions

Ive been into my Kubota dealer 3 times asking for a B6100 ROPS cost to buy one as well

I believe even you in orange country know where this leads

This is the closest dealer dont want to have to drive a tractor 60 miles for warranty work to avoid them when JD is 5 miles away

Please talk me out of it lol

I wouldn’t try to talk you out of it. So much about buying anything- whether it be a tractor, truck, motorcycle, ATV, etc. is the service level provided by the dealer you purchase from. I work as a lender/consultant in the auto industry and it has been proven over and over that the majority of consumers are willing to spend a little bit more for a better buying and service experience for the same product. I have to believe this carries over to this segment. Buy from someone who wants your business, not from someone who acts like it’s a favor to even respond for your greenbacks. For what it’s worth, I recently operated a friend’s new JD for two days. I was the tractor operating boob while he felled trees to be brought to his sawmill (he’s building his home). I’ve been used to my HST. Took about 10 minute to get used to the shuttle shift, but it was a very pleasant machine to run and the FEL was plenty impressive. His machine is a larger unit than mine. I believe it was around 40
Horsepower versus my 20 year old B2400, which is a damn awesome little machine I might add.

Last edited: