Is dyed diesel more expensive than clear in Ontario?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I gather the price depends on how much they figure they can squeeze out of a particular customer.
Do you really have such a "complex / feeling" that people are out to rip you off / take advantage of / or generally just mess with you? :confused:
You have eluded to that fact in quite a few posts! :(

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Do you have a more reasonable explanation?

If I walk into a grocery store and buy a bag of milk, the price I am charged is the same price you and every other customer would be charged. It's based on what the store considers a fair markup after their expenses. The price may be different than what other stores are charging, but it's the same price for every customer.

In the case of the fuel depot, I was told that there is no set price; the price is different from customer to customer. Some customers are charged more, some customers are charged less. When I filled a 20 litre jerry can from their dyed diesel pump, I was charged 105.5¢ per litre after taxes. Road diesel at gas stations in the area is going for 96.6¢ per litre after taxes.

It would actually be cheaper for me to take Redtoorange's 45 gallon drum, fill it with fully taxed road diesel at the gas station, and put that in my home heating oil tank or tractor than to buy died diesel.

Am I paranoid enough to think everyone is out to take advantage of others? No, absolutely not. I see examples of generosity, compassion and fair dealing all around. I volunteer with a couple of organizations and am surrounded by many other great people. I see large corporations and small businesses alike that contribute to their communities. I work with people that have a stellar record of altruism. I spend time on forums watching people like you try to help others out.

However, I am not naive enough to believe that every person and every corporation is governed by a sense of fair play. At the extreme end I've seen companies caught deliberately and actively suppressing information about the lethal nature of their product (eg: tobacco, Ford Pinto). I've seen someone shot, cut into pieces, the pieces doused with gasoline and set on fire in a public park as a warning to other witnesses.

And somewhere in between lies the practices of price discrimination and predatory pricing. In this day and age, the most common examples are online retailers using browser history, cookies, web bugs and other profiling techniques to offer different prices to different people based on their apparent wealth (eg: Amazon, Staples, Discover Financial Services, Rosetta Stone, Home Depot, etc.).

But it's far from a modern invention. It was outlawed in the US during the Depression. Heck, there's anecdotal evidence from Jerusalem almost 2,000 years before that.

miro

Equipment
snow blower
Feb 23, 2014
toronto
I'm not far from you in Muskoka, and my orange tractor is so fuel efficient that I would be concerned about the bottom third of the barrel.
I try to buy fuel based on seasonality, so I get winter grade fuel and summer grade fuel.
There are savings to be had, but I suspect that only applies, in any significant way, to operators who consume a lot of fuel. You can probably try contacting one of the local quarries (Brent) that do a lot of moving and crushing of rock , to see what price they get on dyed diesel.
M

Redtoorange

Equipment
B2650, BH77, 63" front mount snowblower, land pride bb,fel
Apr 7, 2017
Ont, Canada
Do you really have such a "complex / feeling" that people are out to rip you off / take advantage of / or generally just mess with you? :confused:

You have eluded to that fact in quite a few posts! :(

Gotta say, after 20 years working in a max/med prison I have a bit of a complex/feeling that are plenty of people out there looking to mess with me. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk