Is a glow plug a glow plug...a glow plug?

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
I'm all for supporting Kubota dealers and have appreciated Messick's for many parts. I have confidence that ordering from Messick's or the local dealer assures that I have the part that I need. I understand oil filters, air filters, fuel filters, fluids, etc., need to be top quality to keep the machine in top condition as much as possible. BUT...how drastic would it be to purchase after-market glow plugs? The cost for one BX23D glow plug at Messick's is $39. + shipping. After-market plugs are as low as $9+ and free shipping. Comparing pictures, they seem the same. Perhaps these are all made outside of the USA? Would the $39 product last longer? Or, depending on use, maybe this particular part doesn't need to be replaced that often?

I don't need glow plugs at the moment but am thinking of getting a set to have "just in case." My tractor is a 2004 and I'm thrilled to have it. My use of it could be described as "gentle." I do a little hauling, some tilling, some mowing but nothing that I would categorize as dramatic...or hard work! It takes longer to check all the fluid levels, etc., than I use it sometimes! (And, yes, I check the oil level and transmission oil level before every use...ingrained from my father.) I'm actually buying spares for many "disposable" parts since prices continually go up, shipping costs are extreme, and we "always need something!" Having things in hand makes repairs so much simpler.

All thoughts welcomed...I'd offer a penny for them but then I would feel cheap. :)

Tractor Gal

Reactions: 1 user

MountainMeadows

Equipment
L2501, JD 655, Ford 841, JD 6x4 Gator, Gravely 432.
Jun 6, 2022
Poconos, PA
I'd skip the aftermarket glow plugs. I also have a JD 855 tractor. I tried to cut corners on the glow plugs by buying NGK glow plugs from Napa. I had cold start issues from day one. I decided to order some JD glow plugs and that solved the issue. With the NGK's I had to keep the glow plugs on twice as long as the JD glow plugs.

The NGK's also looked identical to the JD glow plugs..........:)

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I'm all for supporting Kubota dealers and have appreciated Messick's for many parts. I have confidence that ordering from Messick's or the local dealer assures that I have the part that I need. I understand oil filters, air filters, fuel filters, fluids, etc., need to be top quality to keep the machine in top condition as much as possible. BUT...how drastic would it be to purchase after-market glow plugs? The cost for one BX23D glow plug at Messick's is $39. + shipping. After-market plugs are as low as $9+ and free shipping. Comparing pictures, they seem the same. Perhaps these are all made outside of the USA? Would the $39 product last longer? Or, depending on use, maybe this particular part doesn't need to be replaced that often?

I don't need glow plugs at the moment but am thinking of getting a set to have "just in case." My tractor is a 2004 and I'm thrilled to have it. My use of it could be described as "gentle." I do a little hauling, some tilling, some mowing but nothing that I would categorize as dramatic...or hard work! It takes longer to check all the fluid levels, etc., than I use it sometimes! (And, yes, I check the oil level and transmission oil level before every use...ingrained from my father.) I'm actually buying spares for many "disposable" parts since prices continually go up, shipping costs are extreme, and we "always need something!" Having things in hand makes repairs so much simpler.

All thoughts welcomed...I'd offer a penny for them but then I would feel cheap. :)

Tractor Gal
Why not buy one glow plug to keep around in case one fails on you? The chances of all three going bad at once is unlikely, you don't always need to energize the glow plugs to start the tractor, and I would opt for the factory glow plug too. Just my $0.02 and worth what you paid for it. :LOL:

I have two bad glow plugs in my F250 SuperDuty and bought eight new ones (Ford factory) for $7 each. I still haven't got around to changing them but I'll swap out all eight this spring. If the block heater is plugged in for a few hours my Ford will start first time, every time regardless of the temperature.

• Love

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I've run one well-used, one gently used and two new diesel tractors since 1991 and never had a problem with a glow plug. That's a part I wouldn't bother stocking.

Filters, fluids, pins, clips etc are things I do keep on hand. When Messick has their sale on I sometimes get a full filter set and a couple buckets of SUDT2. I also keep additional fuel and engine oil filters.

• Love

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
FYI:
Glow plugs are energized every time you crank the engine, so they get used all the time even if you don't preheat them.

And for what happens when you buy a cheap aftermarket glow plugs, I've got an engine here that someone did exactly that, and when the cheap glow plug failed and the tip broke off it destroyed the engine.
so the $15 he saved, cost $2,500K to fix.

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I too am of the camp - some things you can buy "cheap" other things you need to bite the bullet so to speak.

IF it spins or is inside the engine or HST - I would buy OEM - if it sits there and looks pretty, then buy the cheap brand.

Reactions: 2 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
FYI:
Glow plugs are energized every time you crank the engine, so they get used all the time even if you don't preheat them.
But are they energized for the same amount of time if you wait for the glow plug light to go out vs. crank and start right away?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas

Tractor Gal
Like you said…You don’t need glow plugs now…. so you don’t need one sitting on the shelf where you’ll someday forget where you put it….

But if you really MUST have a glow plug just sitting around…… then get the BEST glow plug you can… from Messicks or other Kubota dealer … that way when SOME DAY you actually NEED one…and you install it…and it doesn’t work…. you’l have a Kubota receipt for it from your dealer who may feel sorry for you and let you have another.

As for Pricing and being frugal…. the most Wasteful you can be with your money is to buy something you don’t need and may never need, …but which is readily available overnight should you ever.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
But are they energized for the same amount of time if you wait for the glow plug light to go out vs. crank and start right away?
The time that the GP's heat before your turn the key depends on the model,.
But all models heat as long as the key is in the cranking position.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Do not cheap out on glow plugs. Tips break, soft chinesium metal strips, engines die.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
FYI:

And for what happens when you buy a cheap aftermarket glow plugs, I've got an engine here that someone did exactly that, and when the cheap glow plug failed and the tip broke off it destroyed the engine.
so the $15 he saved, cost $2,500K to fix.
Same "cheap spark plug" issue for automobiles!
You buy 'el cheapo, or fail to replace at recommended interval, you risk piston/engine damage.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The glow plugs for my older L185 were in a NGK box when I bought them from the dealer. The box had Kubota stickers on top of most of the box.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
The glow plugs for my older L185 were in a NGK box when I bought them from the dealer. The box had Kubota stickers on top of most of the box.
NGK has been making all types of plugs for all types of applications for over 85 years - they are the leaders in their field. I would call them top notch for glow plugs. spark plugs and all the other sensors that they make.

While Kubota makes most of their tractor parts - including most of the engine and transmission parts - some of those parts are not made by Kubota.

There are those parts that are made to very high specifications that cost a coin or two and there are those that you can get cheap that you will need to cross your fingers in hope they last.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Anymore, quite a few electronic parts such as spark plugs, glow plugs and O2 sensors knock offs are being made and marketed on line as brand or OEM products. They are not and they may well fail and/or cause problems the true parts would not have. These scammers will actually put the fake part in a brand looking box. Had this happen with a Bosch O2 sensor my daughter bought on line recently. The part on the box did not look like the picture on the box and the word “Bosch” was not on the actual part. The one we pulled out of the car? It looked exactly like the one on the box and had “Bosch” printed on it. Amazon is no longer trying (or effectively) to police this activity with their off site product venders.

If the part is more than about 30% less than a brick and mortar vendor, there’s a reason. It may well be a knock off being sold as brand.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Get the OEM one's if you re going to "stock" them.

It's just not worth the small savings VS. major damage you're risking.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

Tractor Gal
Every glow plug I have received from Messicks is an NGK plug in an NGK box with a Kubota part number sticky pasted to it. Whats the part number on your old plug? Dollars to donuts its NGK.

CORRECTION

I jut looked and the last set I bought from Messicks is in a Kubota box and the end flap says NGK Y103V. The current price from Messicks is $14.06. The local Advance Auto has it in stock for $5.35.

Dan

Last edited:
  • Love

wp6529

Equipment
B7100DT
Oct 31, 2023
TX
When considering aftermarket parts for pretty much anything you need to assess where the part is used and what the failure modes could be. Aftermarket alternator, sure, perhaps it locks up and smokes a belt, no big deal, aftermarket internal engine components like glow plugs, as noted tip breaks off and destroys piston and cylinder and full rebuild, hell no. Heck I recall Ford had a glow plug tip failure issue for a while and lots of warranty losses on the damage caused.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
When considering aftermarket parts for pretty much anything you need to assess where the part is used and what the failure modes could be. Aftermarket alternator, sure, perhaps it locks up and smokes a belt, no big deal, aftermarket internal engine components like glow plugs, as noted tip breaks off and destroys piston and cylinder and full rebuild, hell no. Heck I recall Ford had a glow plug tip faiure issue for a while and lots of warranty losses on the damage caused.
I think you will find the Ford problem was an exhaust valve failure that took out the tip on the glow plug followed by the turbo. Ford's fix was better QC on the valves and a shorter glow plug to protect it in the event of valve failure. And of course that failure was with genuine OEM parts 😵

Dan

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Lots of good advice/information here, gentlemen. I would not have thought glow plugs could break off within the tractor and ruin the motor. I thought they were similar to spark plugs. At any rate, I understand the concept you have outlined about "cheap" parts.

Interesting that some Kubotas apparently use less expensive glow plugs! Here's the listing from Messick's for the BX23D. It says there are multiple options but none is given! Wonder what those are? Anyway, thanks for all the thoughts. By the way, I had thought they would all need to be replaced at the same time!

After trying to cross reference the Kubota part number, here's what turns up...NGK YE01! The Old Hokie wins again! These are $19.99 ea. Any thoughts on these?

Glow Plug
Part # 16851-65512 16851-65510
-replaces #16851-65510 GLOW PLUG

* multiple options for 240
$38.04

Last edited: