Interest in stabilizers?

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I have been, for lack of a better term based on my budding abilities, messing around with some stabilizer fabrication. As I have posted previously, I hate the turnbuckle stabilizers- I change my implements fairly frequently, and find them to be inconvenient. Not finding anything from dealers or online, I went about making some telescoping ones, like larger tractors have. After tweaking the design, I have made a set for myself, which I have used now for some months. I have included a photo- they are compact, strong, and quick to change. I can shift an implement or spread the arms in seconds.
I made another set, and put them on Ebay- they sold today, for $20. There were plenty of viewers and watchers, but only one person bid- have I made something that only appeals to me, or in your opinions, is this worth persuing? If there were enough interest generated, then I would make more and sell them. But, I don't want to invest in materials, to not be able to move them. Any input?
I really do like them- I know that many of you could whip up a set easier than I did, but I also know that there are other folks who would much rather buy them. While I am not looking for a pat on the back, an "atta boy!", or whatever, I am looking for either a "I wouldn't turn my nose up to a set", or a "that's the stupidest thing I've seen"- some input to help me decide what to do.

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h205/br549_red/?action=view&current=stabilizers001.jpg

Thanks- any input, as long as it's delivered kindly, is appreciated.
Mark

williecnc

Equipment
Kubota B7100 HST 4WD
May 22, 2010
Baton Rouge,Louisiana,USA
I was a watcher on Ebay. Great idea and good design. I think the economy is to blame for a tough sale of a new product right. I would love to buy a set for my B7100, just no extra income right now. Don't give up, keep trying!

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
I was a watcher too. while you have your basic function worked out, I think, you need to locate materials that will do the job without any major labor input. sure it will cause some redesign along the way but your almost there with a workable product that will have great appeal. If you think your fab skills are not completely up to the job, enlist some of the other great thinkers on this site or your locale to "cleanup" your product into a final design. again, I think, the worst thing you could do if your serious in building a nice stabilizer is fail to evolve through proto-types. If you don't someone will. think of it as a R&D period. maybe even have someone try them and return a report as to what works for them and doesnt. I think your almost there!

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Thanks. I really appreciate the set I have on my tractor, and know that others would, too. I am not looking to get rich, just cover my expenses and labor. The set on Ebay sold for material costs.
The right materials has been hard to find- the stabilizer needs to be small. I will keep working on it- that has been a lot of fun.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
The second set look better than the first draft. It's hard to hit a homerun right out of the gate but it looks like you are getting close. Your latest version look great to me. Things like this remind me of how I was brought up. When something was needed on the farm it was built more often than bought.

Necessity is the father of invention. Nice job Hodge.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&...&th=132b066548c5257d&attid=0.1&disp=inline&zw

My last revision- these will work for most, if not all, of the older and newer compact Kubota's, up to a 3300 SU. Let me know if you are interested in a set- they work very well.

I've gotten a couple of PM's that the link isn't working, so try photobucket...
http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h205/br549_red/?action=view&current=photo.jpg

They are $110 per set, including hardware. Shipping is $11.50 anywhere in the continental US.

Last edited:

Paulwestski

Equipment
Kubota L4240HS R-4's
Mar 14, 2011
Amherst County, VA
You might want to figure on putting a set of slotted holes to allow in between hole adjustments.
The factory Kubota ones that I have on my L3800 have the slotted holes. Just so you know the factory ones cost me $170.00 delivered.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Hodge you must be the fella I see on Craigslist in Richmond selling those stabelizer arms all the time!

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
How tight and sturdy does the arms keep attatchments on the back? I do alot of fine grading and I'm just used to turn buckles, any slight shift in a grading box to one side or the other can reuin your day and make you work twice as hard!

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Hodge you must be the fella I see on Craigslist in Richmond selling those stabelizer arms all the time!
Yep. That's me- trying different ways to put them out there.
I use mine to keep my 5' woods finish mower stationary, and I would say that it might have an inch or so sway from left to right- they keep it pretty tight. I can definitely keep my scraper blade where I want it, and my KK tiller stays put, also. I have hauled the tractor and the tiller numerous times on my trailer, with the tiller in the raised position (the only way it will fit on my trailer), and the stabilizers are holding up fine.
I don't have a way to machine a slot in these, and haven't found a need for one. The bigger ones sold for the larger Kubota tractors won't fit on the compacts.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Looking real good. I like them alot. You are way under priced. Charge $60 an hr and double the material cost for a start. good luck.
In this economy? I am having a hard enough time selling them as it is...