Intall new ignition L3000

JusticeBDunn

Equipment
Kubota L3000 Tractor
Feb 10, 2015
Chino Valley, AZ
I will be going to Kubota deal to purchase a new ignition switch. There is a chrome (likely plastic) collar on the outside of the dash holding the switch in place. The collar has 4 holes at 12,3,6 and 9. Is there a specific tool needed to remove this collar? Or how have any of you on the forum removed this collar to remove old switch and secure the replacement switch.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I use a pair of big wire cutters use them in the notches. ;)

JusticeBDunn

Equipment
Kubota L3000 Tractor
Feb 10, 2015
Chino Valley, AZ
Well - finally got the new ignition switch. The Arizona Kubota supplier sent the replacement ignition switch to the wrong place and it took them 8 days to find where they sent it:mad:

But at least the removal of the old ignition switch and the install of the new one was much simpler than I had anticipated. The back of the ignition switch has 4 plug leads off it and thought I would have to re-use those leads. But those plugs lead back to a quick coupler.

Still I was worried that my problem was not the ignition switch but something else. At any rate turning the key once and she fired right up:D.

Hope some other owner can use this experience.

JusticeBDunn

Equipment
Kubota L3000 Tractor
Feb 10, 2015
Chino Valley, AZ
Having the same old problem AGAIN:mad: I had posted that following the install of the new key/starter switch that it started right up.

A week later starting the tractor took several key turns before she started. Today - the dern thing is acting just like it did before I replaced the "Key starter switch".

Would appreciate input on what I should try now.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Is it cranking and not starting or is it not cranking at all?

If it's cranking and not starting, could be several things, stop solenoid would be one thing to check.

If it's not cranking it could be starter solenoid, Starter relay (if equipped), faulty / or maladjusted safety switch, bad wiring or battery contacts.

JusticeBDunn

Equipment
Kubota L3000 Tractor
Feb 10, 2015
Chino Valley, AZ
Wolfman: Thanks for your reply.

I did something that I have never before done when starting the tractor. After several attempts with all levers in neutral (no start) - I pushed the PTO lever forward of the neutral position then back into neutral. The tried to start again ....and low and behold it started up.

I did some work and then shut off the tractor. I did not try to restart with this new method as I wanted to check with the group if this was fluke or if there may be a problem with the PTO Safety switch not registering neutral.

Any thoughts on this weird issue???

Also what is "HST" ? This is often mentioned in the text of other messages.

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
HST is hydrostatic transmission.

The pto lever on the L3000 can be tricky. If you bump it just right with your foot while getting on or off and knock it up past the off position it would allow it to crank. Nothing is wrong it's just simply past the off position.

From my experience your problem may be the high/low shifter switch. If it's just a mm out of adjustment it won't start. I would have to move the shifter forward if I remember right and mine would fire right up. I hope this helps.