Installing a Grapple

Turfturd

Equipment
B7510
May 20, 2021
Missouri
Has anyone had any experience or advice on installing a grapple on an older tractor (2005 B7510)
I realize I will have to source a valve body somewhere.
But I think it would be a lot better than forks.
Just checking.

Thank you.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Has anyone had any experience or advice on installing a grapple on an older tractor (2005 B7510)
I realize I will have to source a valve body somewhere.
But I think it would be a lot better than forks.
Just checking.

Thank you.
I assume you have a pin on loader. That will be your biggest challenge. A valve is easy and cheap.

Dan

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You don't need a new valve body, just add a third function to the existing.
You might want to consider adding / adapting your loader to make it an SSQA compatible.

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: 'better than forks'
That depends on what the task is, the material and you.

Generally speaking a 'grapple' is supposed to be used to 'hold' a big wad of material, forks are like only having the lower 1/2 of a grapple.

I have the HLA 900# forks on my BX23S. After a few days it was surprising how much 'stuff' they can carry, since the loader rotates back a long way. If you 'load' them right, the 'stuff' doesn't fall off unless you drive crazy fast over bumpy ground.

Last week I saw that there's is a grapple for the BX23S at the dealer. While it would be a nice addition, I've moved mountains of stuff without it for the past 4 years, so I'll save my coins for something else.

I do recommend SSQA if you don't have it. While swapping 4 pin bucket for forks may be fun for you now, it won't be in the future ! No matter how old we get, we're not getting younger !

Reactions: 1 user

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Photos below of my 2005, L2800 with a bolt on grapple.... I still move gravel but can pick up what I want....

This is WR Long, Which you do not have to do any welding and it doesn't need the top of the bucket reinforced.

If you can weld and have some scrape metal, you can install "The Thumb" (and maybe save a buck...)

The Thumb - Add-on Grapple Attachments

The SSQA is nice and quick but it forces the load to be 4" further out in front (lose a little bit of lift) It also adds additional weight and adds to the cost of the whole project. The WR Long bolt on is 143 pounds extra weight.

Any grapple is better than no grapple!!!

I used this valve since I wanted Hydraulic Top Link and Side Link for the rear 3 point hitch (adding 3 was not much more $$ than adding just 1 valve for a grapple):

Attachments

Last edited:

D.jFarm78

Equipment
L2250 FEL& L4610FEl, BH, Grapple, Mower, Gannon , blade, disc, plow, rototiller,
Mar 20, 2020
Young, Az USA
Take a look at work saver they have adaptors and also a grapple that is electric for small models.

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
re: 'better than forks'
That depends on what the task is, the material and you.

Generally speaking a 'grapple' is supposed to be used to 'hold' a big wad of material, forks are like only having the lower 1/2 of a grapple.

I have the HLA 900# forks on my BX23S. After a few days it was surprising how much 'stuff' they can carry, since the loader rotates back a long way. If you 'load' them right, the 'stuff' doesn't fall off unless you drive crazy fast over bumpy ground.

Last week I saw that there's is a grapple for the BX23S at the dealer. While it would be a nice addition, I've moved mountains of stuff without it for the past 4 years, so I'll save my coins for something else.

I do recommend SSQA if you don't have it. While swapping 4 pin bucket for forks may be fun for you now, it won't be in the future ! No matter how old we get, we're not getting younger !
I have both and the forks will hold a lot. the grapple is great for moving brush a longer distance and moving piles of logs to keep them out the dirt also better for rocks you can even pull large rocks out of the backhoe spoil as a sort of a screening process. but I am using the forks more than the grapple.

Turfturd

Equipment
B7510
May 20, 2021
Missouri
Thank all of you for your replies.
I should of done my research on the cost of the grapple before even considering it. Wow they are proud of them.
I have a set of bucket forks now and I think that I can tolerate using the forks for now. At least until the economy turns around.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
They have always been very "proud" of grapples... Personally, I don't ever see prices going down ever. This is the new normal. If you think you want a grapple sometime in the future, get it now.

I read all the time about how new grapple owners wish they had gotten it sooner... I would not be able to afford a grapple now just like I couldn't afford it then. It's going to sting whenever you decide to buy... I don't feel my sting anymore. :)

I bought parts here and there... and saved up to buy more parts. Learned how hydraulics worked and did the work myself. Took about a year to get my setup done. I did get lucky and bought my grapple used....

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I'm one of those proud grapple owners. Cost is high. Yet, the grapple is on my tractor most of the time. I use it for all types of projects and next to my rotary cutter, it is my most used implement.

Tree branch.jpg

20211120_102247.jpg

20201221_113915.jpg

Resized_20200903_171636.jpg

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Grapples are very handy to have, but it is a shame that you ran into your shed with it! :ROFLMAO:
Resized_20200903_171636.jpg

• Haha

Turfturd

Equipment
B7510
May 20, 2021
Missouri
They have always been very "proud" of grapples... Personally, I don't ever see prices going down ever. This is the new normal. If you think you want a grapple sometime in the future, get it now.

I read all the time about how new grapple owners wish they had gotten it sooner... I would not be able to afford a grapple now just like I couldn't afford it then. It's going to sting whenever you decide to buy... I don't feel my sting anymore. :)

I bought parts here and there... and saved up to buy more parts. Learned how hydraulics worked and did the work myself. Took about a year to get my setup done. I did get lucky and bought my grapple used....
Old and tired. Thanks for the advice.
I have a set of bucket forks that I think would work great with a grapple. It looks like I may have to custom make it. I would still be curious about hooking up the hydraulics. I have basic knowledge of hydraulics, I just don’t know where to tie in.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I have a set of bucket forks that I think would work great with a grapple. It looks like I may have to custom make it. I would still be curious about hooking up the hydraulics. I have basic knowledge of hydraulics, I just don’t know where to tie in.
Heres a drawing from the LA352 loader parts list. If that's how your loader is connected, someone on here can fix you up.
Screenshot_20230131-154845-713.png

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
You just insert the valve for the grapple into the existing power beyond circuit coming from the loader valve.
  1. Disconnect power beyond hose from loader valve at hydraulic block and connect it to P on the new grapple valve.
  2. Connect T on grapple valve to the open port on the hydraulic block
Done.

Dan

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
...It looks like I may have to custom make it. I would still be curious about hooking up the hydraulics. I have basic knowledge of hydraulics, I just don’t know where to tie in.
Is your loader LA352? Do you have a valve that you plan to use?

First question to ask yourself, do you only need a valve for a grapple? (and not, 3 valves for Top and Tilt hydraulics also???) It's pretty easy to add them now.

If I only wanted 1 valve for a grapple, I would look at this valve https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydra...e-Wolverine-by-Prince-Mfg-MB11B5C1-9-7861.axd

What Kubota tractors use are "Open Center" hydraulics with power beyond. (Power beyond normally requires a plug to be inserted into the vale body.) Open Center uses 3 lines (other than the working ports) to make the valve work; IN port, high pressure out port (called power beyond) and the low pressure, return to tank hose (this is the only line that can be "T'ed" together).

You can look at cheaper Summit valves, but I have not dealt with them... in the link above there are instructions for installing the valve. See if they make sense... (or read my next part...)

What I did, was I mounted a valve above the FEL control (take off the plastic cover if you have one and use the holes to mount a plate to mount the new valve). Identify the power beyond hose of the FEL and hooked it up to the power beyond port of the new valve.

Then buy a hose to go from the old power beyond of the FEL to the IN port of the new valve. That completes the circle of power. Only thing left is to "T" the two, return to tank lines together.

It took me a long time to understand what's going on with hydraulics... so feel free to ask more questions if you don't understand something and we'll try to make it as clear as mud... 🤪

Turfturd

Equipment
B7510
May 20, 2021
Missouri
Is your loader LA352? Do you have a valve that you plan to use?

First question to ask yourself, do you only need a valve for a grapple? (and not, 3 valves for Top and Tilt hydraulics also???) It's pretty easy to add them now.

If I only wanted 1 valve for a grapple, I would look at this valve https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydra...e-Wolverine-by-Prince-Mfg-MB11B5C1-9-7861.axd

What Kubota tractors use are "Open Center" hydraulics with power beyond. (Power beyond normally requires a plug to be inserted into the vale body.) Open Center uses 3 lines (other than the working ports) to make the valve work; IN port, high pressure out port (called power beyond) and the low pressure, return to tank hose (this is the only line that can be "T'ed" together).

You can look at cheaper Summit valves, but I have not dealt with them... in the link above there are instructions for installing the valve. See if they make sense... (or read my next part...)

What I did, was I mounted a valve above the FEL control (take off the plastic cover if you have one and use the holes to mount a plate to mount the new valve). Identify the power beyond hose of the FEL and hooked it up to the power beyond port of the new valve.

Then buy a hose to go from the old power beyond of the FEL to the IN port of the new valve. That completes the circle of power. Only thing left is to "T" the two, return to tank lines together.

It took me a long time to understand what's going on with hydraulics... so feel free to ask more questions if you don't understand something and we'll try to make it as clear as mud... 🤪
Hello again
My loader is a LA304
Yes if I understand you right I would like to add a valve for the grapple. That would give me a cylinder that I could use for the grapple?? Right?
I do have the single lever for tilt and boom up and down.
Thanks again.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hello again
My loader is a LA304
Yes if I understand you right I would like to add a valve for the grapple. That would give me a cylinder that I could use for the grapple?? Right?
I do have the single lever for tilt and boom up and down.
Thanks again.
Electric or manual valve? Electric valve operated with a button on the joystick is usually prefered for a grapple but manual vakve next to joystick is a lot cheaper.

Dsn

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I was wanting a manual valve. I am not a fan of the electric ones.
A single spool manual valve is easy and inexpensive. This is specifically designed for the standard L series but the concept works for just about any recent Kubota with an open loader station. Just have to tweak the hose lengths and mounting bracket.

Dan