Installing a block heater

tomasaur

Equipment
L245DT
Feb 17, 2020
Gales Ferry
I'm looking to install a block heater in my L245DT. The ones I've seen online go into a freeze plug hole, but unfortunately, all the instructions I've found assume that the plug is removable with an allen wrench. What I have looks like a pressed in cap. You can see it here, looking at the left side of the engine just in front of the starter. (that orange wire coming in from the left attaches to the battery to hook up a trickle charger, in case you were wondering)

Is this in fact the freeze plug hole, and if so, how do I remove the cap? If it's threaded, then I should be able to unscrew it by tapping the edge with a hammer and cold chisel. If it's not, then I shouldn't be thinking of putting a block heater there, yes?

Thanks in advance,
Tom
IMG_3772.jpg

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
Yes that does look like a pressed in not a threaded freeze plug. You will need a block heater that has a expanding rubber seal to goes in the hole after you pop out the sheet metal plug.

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
If you need to install a block heater, you should add a battery warmer as well ! A lot of timers now have TWO receptacles..perfect for the job.
A warm battery can easily have TWICE the power a cold one does..which means engine turns over quicker, starts faster,less stress on battery...everyone wins

Reactions: 1 user

Pony Doc

Lifetime Member

Equipment
SSV75 Kioti LK3054 Oliver 1250
Dec 15, 2020
Central Colorado
A lower radiator house heater is another option. I have a block heater in one machine and a radiator hose heater in another, they are equally effective, including in sub zero (F) temperatures. They take about the same amount of time to warm the engine. My current radiator hose heater is at least 10 years old.

Reactions: 2 users

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
I'm looking to install a block heater in my L245DT. The ones I've seen online go into a freeze plug hole, but unfortunately, all the instructions I've found assume that the plug is removable with an allen wrench. What I have looks like a pressed in cap. You can see it here, looking at the left side of the engine just in front of the starter. (that orange wire coming in from the left attaches to the battery to hook up a trickle charger, in case you were wondering)

Is this in fact the freeze plug hole, and if so, how do I remove the cap? If it's threaded, then I should be able to unscrew it by tapping the edge with a hammer and cold chisel. If it's not, then I shouldn't be thinking of putting a block heater there, yes?

Thanks in advance,
Tom
View attachment 74901
To remove a pressed in core plug, take a punch and hammer and hit the plug along the left or right edge of the plug. This will generally "spin" the plug so that it is on edge relative to the hole. Remove it with a pair of pliers. Of course, you'll want to drain the coolant before you do this. My Kubota block heater has a threaded steel insert that I drove into the core plug hole and then I merely threaded the block heater into that and installed the electrical cord. Took me about a half hour including draining the coolant.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I installed a freeze plug block heater when I first had my Kubota delivered. My freeze plugs are pressed in. I used a 1/8” drill bit dipped in heavy red grease ( to collect metal shavings) drilled a hole in the freeze plug, after draining some antifreeze. Using a slide hammer, like you use to pull dents on sheet metal, removed the freeze plug. The heater element taps back in place in the freeze plug hole, using a brass punch.
It warms the engine in 15 minutes amazingly well. On single digit or negative days, I’ll plug the tractor in, enjoy a warm cup of coffee, then start the tractor.
It took longer to drain and refill the antifreeze than installing the heater.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I'm surprised no one's mentioned the obvious... DRAIN THE BLOCK BEFORE you puch into the core plug....
it ONLY becoame 'obvious' to me as the coolant gushed all over the friggin place 4 decades ago...

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
I'm surprised no one's mentioned the obvious... DRAIN THE BLOCK BEFORE you puch into the core plug....
it ONLY becoame 'obvious' to me as the coolant gushed all over the friggin place 4 decades ago...
"Of course, you'll want to drain the coolant before you do this."

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
It's a shame that your memory is better today than it was 40 years ago. I just can't imagine that you needed to be told to drain the block before removing the freeze plug. I think that you were in such a rush to put the block heater into the block that you just forgot to drain the block!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
This is the model you want:

Don't drill the plug, too easy to drill right through the cylinder wall right behind the plug.
Just tap it sideways then pull the plug out with a pair of pliers.