Insight gained after making an operating mistake

ejb11235

Equipment
BX23S, Braber BBR4G 4' Box Blade & LRM5G 5' landscape rake
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
On Saturday I nicked a post on a woodshed with my FEL. I was backing up and turning, and I was aware of the danger of hitting the post. So I straightened out and backed up a little to get away from the post before continuing my turn. Problem is, I didn't back up quite enough, and as I turned, I took a small chunk out of the corner of the post ... maybe about 1/4" of wood.

Although the damage was minimal, I was chagrined at having made such a newbie mistake. After giving some thought to the incident I was able to pinpoint exactly the problem: after backing up and continuing my turn, I hoped that I had backed up enough, instead of knowing that I had backed up enough. I mean, <swear word>, I watched the FEL swing around and I remember thinking "I hope that clears". Well it didn't.

So I have concluded that if at any time I am operating and I think "I hope that...", then that's a huge red flag.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
You’re not alone. BTDT

Reactions: 3 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
On Saturday I nicked a post on a woodshed with my FEL. I was backing up and turning, and I was aware of the danger of hitting the post. So I straightened out and backed up a little to get away from the post before continuing my turn. Problem is, I didn't back up quite enough, and as I turned, I took a small chunk out of the corner of the post ... maybe about 1/4" of wood.

Although the damage was minimal, I was chagrined at having made such a newbie mistake. After giving some thought to the incident I was able to pinpoint exactly the problem: after backing up and continuing my turn, I hoped that I had backed up enough, instead of knowing that I had backed up enough. I mean, <swear word>, I watched the FEL swing around and I remember thinking "I hope that clears". Well it didn't.

So I have concluded that if at any time I am operating and I think "I hope that...", then that's a huge red flag.
Yup.....
We have experienced all too much "hope and change" already!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Don't feel too bad.....

I only have just north of 100 hours on my machine and so far I have ripped off a gate, nicked my garage siding twice with my bucket and hit my garage door twice with my ROPS, and backed into 5 or six trees with the back hoe and I was doing some landscaping yesterday and I think I may have ripped up my neighbors cable line with the backhoe. (jury still out on this, but they just texted me and asked if my cable was working)

My SIL just got a new Vermeer S925TX and with less than 10 hours on it, he sheared off my back gate latch yesterday.

Sh!t happens fast on these things.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota

If that's a "Newbie mistake"........ what do I call mine after 40 to 50+ yrs???? :unsure::ROFLMAO:

I had my BXpanded tooth bar for less than a week before I put a nice little "slice" in the metal OH door trim on the shed. (That tooth bar is SHARP!) At least the trim is dark grey in color. One day I'll put some JB weld in the slice and no one will notice. But for now.....it's still my daily reminder.

And I won't mention the host of other blunders that get fixed quick before someone notices!! :ROFLMAO:

Anyone who says they haven't had an "OOPS" probably haven't taken delivery of their first tractor yet!!

ejb, you're in good company!! LOL!

David

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
Don't feel too bad.....

I only have just north of 100 hours on my machine and so far I have ripped off a gate, nicked my garage siding twice with my bucket and hit my garage door twice with my ROPS, and backed into 5 or six trees with the back hoe and I was doing some landscaping yesterday and I think I may have ripped up my neighbors cable line with the backhoe. (jury still out on this, but they just texted me and asked if my cable was working)

My SIL just got a new Vermeer S925TX and with less than 10 hours on it, he sheared off my back gate latch yesterday.

You sir, are a very honest and forthright man! :)

Reactions: 1 user

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
Don't feel too bad.....

Clearly I am an amateur when it comes to doing damage. You sir set the bar high. o_O

• Love
  • Haha

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
I think tractors are like sawmills, any sawyer that says he hasn’t sawed into his backstop is stretching the truth. I have the same thing happen on my tractor, you think you have enough room, but you’re not quite sure, but you go ahead anyway. Then oops😱, and then you wonder why you didn’t listen to that little voice in your head who surely knew you didn’t. The good thing about it is that I have a poor memory, and tend to forget the little thing that get busted up from my tractor, so it’s like it never happened 😂

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
You are definitely NOT alone in the "I THOUGHT" I was good department!!!

Day 2 of my grand new BX - loaded up some firewood in the FEL - and proceeded to back up will raising the bucket............

you guessed it - a large piece of wood came backwards out of the FEL and smacked the hood !!!!!

I was pissed - but only at my stupid self!!!! Dent is still there as a reminder of what I did wrong.

I back up all the time still - WITH MY hand off the stick! ;)

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
I have the same thing happen on my tractor, you think you have enough room, but you’re not quite sure, but you go ahead anyway. Then oops😱, and then you wonder why you didn’t listen to that little voice in your head who surely knew you didn’t.
Exactly this. Which is essentially why I posted in the first place ... to remind people, if they want to, to listen to that little voice.

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
You are definitely NOT alone in the "I THOUGHT" I was good department!!!

Day 2 of my grand new BX - loaded up some firewood in the FEL - and proceeded to back up will raising the bucket............

you guessed it - a large piece of wood came backwards out of the FEL and smacked the hood !!!!!

I was pissed - but only at my stupid self!!!! Dent is still there as a reminder of what I did wrong.

I back up all the time still - WITH MY hand off the stick! ;)
I try remind myself what we skiers and snowboarders say ... "tools not jewels". Not that I'm trying to abuse my equipment, but it's not a yard queen; I'm using it for real work.

For months I failed to tighten the hose clamp that holds the triangular warning sign to the backhoe. I noticed that it was loose and even though I kept telling myself I should tighten it, I never got around to it. Well the other day I noticed that it had shifted around so when I closed the bucket, the bracket got squeezed between the cylinder and the dipper arm and dented the dipper arm. I was irritated, but then I said "ah, f**k it, it's a piece of construction equipment and this doesn't affect anything so just let it go and get on with your day."

trial and error

Equipment
B7100dt manual trans. homemade FEL, 4 way hydraulic dozer blade
Feb 16, 2023
NY
If any of you all are feeling bad My father hit their above ground pool with the corner of the bucket on his 9n many years ago it only made a small (less then 2inch) dent/hole but the damage was done and that dent with the fixed gash in the liner is a permanent reminder to him. In his defense that tractor has never had brakes and it is a bear on their anything but flat property. Same tractor not as many years ago I was operating it and even though I had operated it 100's of times I stalled going up their driveway, panicked and dropped the bucket but it was too late. when the tractor started rolling backwards down the driveway (somehow I knocked it to neutral after stalling) I steered it away from the house and garage all while it was picking up speed I bailed when it went over the "turn around area" in the driveway after which there is a steep bank that leads to the only flat but small peice of property they have. It continued its course and hit the old parked junk s-10 we had sitting at the edge of flat spot and the next steep bank which is full of trees. Somehow the 55 gallon drum/counterweight hit square on one of the wheels of the s10 and did virtually no damage to either. Needless to say I fired the tractor up which is a chore on a old 6 volt carburated machine and parked it then went inside for a change of shorts and to check for damage to myself. I was banged up but I could have been under a tractor if I stayed on and it had rolled on its side or completely over. All that to say yes stupid stuff happens in a matter of less then a second and even the best of us just when we think we got it all figured out get a rather rude awakening
Sorry for the thread highjack

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
If any of you all are feeling bad My father hit their above ground pool with the corner of the bucket on his 9n many years ago it only made a small (less then 2inch) dent/hole but the damage was done and that dent with the fixed gash in the liner is a permanent reminder to him. In his defense that tractor has never had brakes and it is a bear on their anything but flat property. Same tractor not as many years ago I was operating it and even though I had operated it 100's of times I stalled going up their driveway, panicked and dropped the bucket but it was too late. when the tractor started rolling backwards down the driveway (somehow I knocked it to neutral after stalling) I steered it away from the house and garage all while it was picking up speed I bailed when it went over the "turn around area" in the driveway after which there is a steep bank that leads to the only flat but small peice of property they have. It continued its course and hit the old parked junk s-10 we had sitting at the edge of flat spot and the next steep bank which is full of trees. Somehow the 55 gallon drum/counterweight hit square on one of the wheels of the s10 and did virtually no damage to either. Needless to say I fired the tractor up which is a chore on a old 6 volt carburated machine and parked it then went inside for a change of shorts and to check for damage to myself. I was banged up but I could have been under a tractor if I stayed on and it had rolled on its side or completely over. All that to say yes stupid stuff happens in a matter of less then a second and even the best of us just when we think we got it all figured out get a rather rude awakening
Point well taken!

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
No worries on the thread hijack. Eventually this thread is a place for us to remind ourselves of what can happen and to not be complacent.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Your wife is not writing an obit so this is far from the worst mistake you can make.
BTDT

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Had 2 hours in my tractor and ran right into the garage door header with the ROPS - doh !

My neighbour, with 5-6 decades running tractors backed right over my mailbox.....and it was on the opposite side of the road from his driveway when he was snowplowing with his 1965 International. (there may have been alcohol involved ) but I recall he said something like "I thought I had room" (to get a running start at a big pile of snow)