Injector Question

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
I've noticed my L175 acted like it was loosing a little power running up hills in 4th gear, so first thing that crossed my mind was air in the lines.
Cracked the first injector, no air, just solid fuel. Cracked the second one, but as soon as the fuel dribbled out (not squirting) the motor wanted to die, unlike the first one.
I'm guessing the injector needs attention.

Last year I installed some refurbs I got on ebay. No matter what I did, they wouldn't work, so I put the old ones back in.

Suggestions on whether to get them rebuilt or try to find already rebuilds.
What say you group?

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Your question, "whether to get them rebuilt or try to find already rebuilds."

Rebuilt is rebuilt. Only difference is how meticulous the rebuilder is. I would check the prices of new, and compare that to the price of rebuilt (and get references of rebuilder's' work). Then you have to determine value received verses value paid!

I've had good success with rebuilt injectors. Some in 6.5 Chev, some in 730 Case. I know the rebuilder and can go in his shop while he was testing. He tested the pop-off pressure, and on the 6.5's he asked me if the engine was running when I removed them. That's how bad there were. Pressure was under 1500 when it should have been around 2250.

Good guys know their stuff, others know they won't see you again and don't care.

It's all about time and money. Only you can decide how much you want to give up of each.

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
I can get new from Messick's for about $62, no big deal.
Question is, is the injector bad, and if so (which I'm guessing it is) is it sucking air when the tubing nut is cracked?

Last edited:

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Keep in mind that the one where there was no change is the bad injector. It is unlikely it is sucking air. Hopefully it has not ruined the piston and cylinder. A misfiring injector is dynamite on pistons and cylinders. Fix it ASAP and I would not use it till it is repaired.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
When you crack an injector line with it running, it should miss on that cylinder and slow down, and yes on a 2 cylinder probably die.
If you crack a line and nothing happen besides fuel coming out, that cylinder is doing very little or nothing at all.

Considering age and hours You would be better off if you can buy both of them new.
The ones that are for sale on EBay are cheap and flawed, I have not heard of anyone that got a perfect set, most leak.

And I agree with Kuboman's assessment!

Last edited:

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
When you crack an injector line with it running, it should miss on that cylinder and slow down, and yes on a 2 cylinder probably die.
If you crack a line and nothing happen besides fuel coming out, that cylinder is doing very little or nothing at all.

Considering age and hours You would be better off if you can buy both of them new.
The ones that are for sale on EBay are cheap and flawed, I have not heard of anyone that got a perfect set, most leak.

And I agree with Kuboman's assessment!
Thanks, great advice.
Your description as to what happens on a good cylinder is just the opposite of what one (that being me) would think.
Just ordered one earlier, will order the second right now.

Last edited: