Increasing fuel at the injector pump

zoomy

Equipment
l5740,6' Brush mower, Bobcat 873,Marshal tree saw, 48" Pallet Forks, Bobcat T770
Feb 22, 2014
Mundelien, IL
Has anybody increased their horsepower by increasing the amount of fuel delivered by the injector pump by adjusting the fuel bypass valve?
Just saw a video made by the guys at Everything Attachments and was amazed that they increased the PTO horsepower from 76 hp to 107 hp by turning the screw 1.5 turns. Would like to do this on my L5740. When using my 72 inch brush mower it starts to bog down when going thru 3 foot tall grass even when traveling at 3mph.
Not looking to max out the power but I could use 10-15 more ponies.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Knowing Kubota's as well as I do I find it real hard to believe that you could get such a large increase in HP just by adjusting a valve.
I'll look up the Video as see what I can find out. :confused:

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
With a turbo motor I could see that working. With an NA motor...not sure if increasing fuel will = hp...at some point you're causing an inefficient burn....

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I was always under the impression that when increasing fuel, then you need to back the timing off slightly to compensate. I would love to see the video of what they did on what machine

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Just as I suspected the video is it not a KUBOTA, it's a New Holland and a completely different motor and injection system.
You can not just lump all the tractors into a pile, and think all the adjustments and rules are the same for all. ;)

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGWSIFyvdRw

Last edited:

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
My L3200 is barely at the limit of it's cooling capability as it is, I would not want to try to get any more power out of the motor without adding auxiliary coolers for both coolant and oil.
These are about as efficient of units out of the factory as they can possibly be, that's a hallmark of Kubota. In some ways, it can be a problem like with the lack of cooling overhead on these 3000 series units.
I would never monkey with these settings. If you need more HP, get a larger tractor and sell the smaller one. They hold their value so well, you would only be out a few thousand.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I wouldnt go twisting in things in hopes of a horsepower gain,my luck would be something would fall apart inside and engine would 'splode.
I saw something on somewhere to crank up the fuel-made more smoke. Great, i thought. More soot in my face....

zoomy

Equipment
l5740,6' Brush mower, Bobcat 873,Marshal tree saw, 48" Pallet Forks, Bobcat T770
Feb 22, 2014
Mundelien, IL
I kind of suspected it was too good to be true. The video makes it seem this is a common practice to up power output.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I would have some serious reservations by just turning up the fuel. Usually to do it correctly, the timing would need to be backed off slightly as well to compensate for the extra fuel. You see them do it quite often in the hot rod shows when they change to a bigger fuel injectors and start adding turbo's. Usually when I have some yahoo mess with my injection pumps at work, they create more problems then what it's worth. I just had two deutz shipped in from another location that I immediately sent to the dealer for Injection pump work. They just fired the guy at that location who was "turning" up the fuel. Ones over fueling and dumping diesel into the oil. The other has three out of the four ports on top of the IP stripped out and free flowing fuel. Guy also tried to retard the timing on the IP and dropped the gear when he pulled the timing cover. Guy did about 5k worth of damage between the two motors. Thats not counting the 2k it cost for a new cylinder and head on another unit he "turned" the fuel up on