In need of advice Front Diff overhaul kit?

gonzo2850

Equipment
kubota L2850
Jan 26, 2022
conover
Hello i'm new to the Orange tractor world and am in need of alittle guidance. I bought a 1995 L2850 and the front pinion bearing is destroyed aswell as the nut. you can literally wiggle the shaft around like a hot dog down a hallway. There's some oil leaks by the wheels aswell so before I dig deep into just doing a complete overhaul i'd like to get an idea on some decent parts and gaskets, where I can get them for a reasonable price. Thanks

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Hello i'm new to the Orange tractor world and am in need of alittle guidance. I bought a 1995 L2850 and the front pinion bearing is destroyed aswell as the nut. you can literally wiggle the shaft around like a hot dog down a hallway. There's some oil leaks by the wheels aswell so before I dig deep into just doing a complete overhaul i'd like to get an idea on some decent parts and gaskets, where I can get them for a reasonable price. Thanks
Do not expect to find a "kit."

Once you disassemble the unit and know what you need, you will need to buy the parts from Kubota, excepting, perhaps, standard bearings.

SDT

gonzo2850

Equipment
kubota L2850
Jan 26, 2022
conover
Do not expect to find a "kit."

Once you disassemble the unit and know what you need, you will need to buy the parts from Kubota, excepting, perhaps, standard bearings.

SDT
ok, any tips or things I need to look out for in this disasembly process?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Do you have the WSM (aka service manual)?
Almost all the parts will have to come from kubota directly.
You can look at the parts diagrams and get part numbers here:
If you don't have a good local dealer, hit up Messick's or Coleman equipment to get the parts sent to you.

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
ok, any tips or things I need to look out for in this disasembly process?
Most pinions come out the back, and the diff carrier out the pass side axle tube. You will more than likely need to drop the whole axle off the frame to work on it. Drain it first, and don't forget about the p/s lines, and axle vent if it has one.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Buy parts from your Kubota dealer. Be sure to thank them for stocking parts for a 27 year old machine. If you think K parts are expensive try comparing against NH or JD.

Special_K_Side

Equipment
R-520,S,ST
Aug 5, 2022
British Columbia, Canada
Hey! Have had a Few R520 and 520s front diffs go bad on me in the past few months. Unsure of what you are working on or the differences. Your best bet (as per other replies) is just drop it and investigate! I had two R520S front diffs blow a week apart and dropped them both and managed to build one out of two (Shafts, bearings, planetary and crown gears had too come from Japan) but bearings able to be cross referenced from Timkin/Sks. All I needed was a vice, RTV for seals and one built out of two! The rest of the other rebuild
Was a nightmare! Had to buy a 254$ American socket from the great folks at ImperialNewton for the pinion nut and have it machines to
Fit (wall thickness too great) tourqued it on with diff in place ebrake on (bucket down) simple yet MacGyverish!

Reactions: 1 user