In market for budget welder

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I did a little sheet welding with my 110 Craftsman flux box using Vigo's method. MIG with .023 solid wire would work better. One 'secret' is to fit the joint tight - you don't have time to lay metal down to fill gaps.

TIG is the best for thin stuff. I've watched guys TIG thin (0.065" wt) SS sanitary tubing with no filler.

coast40

Equipment
L2250, Bobcat 331, Mitsubishi BD2J
May 16, 2022
Oregon Coast
I did purchase the yeswelder mig 205ds yesterday on amazon.

After considering the reasons/projects I have in mind as well as reading more about spool guns, I opted not to get one for some of the reasons you mentioned above. As mentioned, the yes welder meets my requirements today. I'll continue with my current projects using flux core until I feel more comfortable, then transition to adding gas and added 240 outlet. Then later on, I'll add an ac/dc tig for aluminum (a large part will be thin).

Thanks everyone.

Dan
That was a great price! You will love slag-free welding. Congrats!

Reactions: 1 user

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
I think Yeswelder recently changed the color on all the welders and so the older 205DS got even cheaper. Which is crazy because anything $3-400 for this functionality is fantastic in my opinion.

Do you think it would be slightly 'better' on thin metal with 0.030 wire?
btw, I called yeswelder and asked about running 0.030 as the website says 0.035 only and they said it can be used - note the wire setting for flux does not have a 0.030 setting, only 0.035 they said.
So on the 205ds the current and wire feed speed are tied together, so while you could put .030 flux core and tip in it, you can't really optimize the settings for it, although it might be close enough. Another issue i might be imagining, but if i remember correctly.. the machine did not come with a drive roller for .030 flux core? Drive rollers for flux core have ridges/teeth to grab the wire better, but while i know it came with one for .035, i dont think it came with a flux core style .030 drive roller. Something you could fix or work around, regardless.

I think the advantage of the .030 wire is not worth chasing, personally. Using the method i mentioned makes it basically impossible to put holes in any reasonable thickness sheet metal. BUT, it would only be practical for short welds since you can't 'run beads' like that. If you are really wanting to do large quantities of thin metal welding with this machine I would get it setup for TIG and start focusing in that direction.

dan_m

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 9, 2020
Georgia
I think Yeswelder recently changed the color on all the welders and so the older 205DS got even cheaper. Which is crazy because anything $3-400 for this functionality is fantastic in my opinion.

So on the 205ds the current and wire feed speed are tied together, so while you could put .030 flux core and tip in it, you can't really optimize the settings for it, although it might be close enough. Another issue i might be imagining, but if i remember correctly.. the machine did not come with a drive roller for .030 flux core? Drive rollers for flux core have ridges/teeth to grab the wire better, but while i know it came with one for .035, i dont think it came with a flux core style .030 drive roller. Something you could fix or work around, regardless.

I think the advantage of the .030 wire is not worth chasing, personally. Using the method i mentioned makes it basically impossible to put holes in any reasonable thickness sheet metal. BUT, it would only be practical for short welds since you can't 'run beads' like that. If you are really wanting to do large quantities of thin metal welding with this machine I would get it setup for TIG and start focusing in that direction.
I was told by support it comes with 1 roller which can be used with flux core and solid (normally solid doesn't have groves while flux does -but i suspect both can be used with roller with groves) and it suppots both 0.030" and 0.035". They sell one of their website for use with 0.023" and 0.030" which can be used with the mig 205ds I was told.

As I understand, using the smaller 0.023 or 0.030 wire will need to lessen the tension (3.5 per support) and can be manually adjusted to lower amps/volts to accomodate. It's something I'll have to play with to see how it really works. I'm just going by what I was told by support so take that for what it's worth - I'm not expert by far :)

Dan

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I was told by support it comes with 1 roller which can be used with flux core and solid (normally solid doesn't have groves while flux does -but i suspect both can be used with roller with groves) and it suppots both 0.030" and 0.035". They sell one of their website for use with 0.023" and 0.030" which can be used with the mig 205ds I was told.

As I understand, using the smaller 0.023 or 0.030 wire will need to lessen the tension (3.5 per support) and can be manually adjusted to lower amps/volts to accomodate. It's something I'll have to play with to see how it really works. I'm just going by what I was told by support so take that for what it's worth - I'm not expert by far :)

Dan
We expect an OTT user report. I've read several on-line, but one from a trusted OTT member would carry much weight.

dan_m

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 9, 2020
Georgia
Mig 205ds was just delivered. I opened the box and looked at the roller, it's knurled so can be used with flux core. I actually didn't see any yeswelder website that were not knurled.

After i get done burn time with it, I'll post an update - there's at lest one person who is looking for a review ;)

Dan

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Mig 205ds was just delivered. I opened the box and looked at the roller, it's knurled so can be used with flux core. I actually didn't see any yeswelder website that were not knurled.

After i get done burn time with it, I'll post an update - there's at lest one person who is looking for a review ;)

Dan
I asked an ebay seller about rolls and consumables. After 2 tries, he replied "The machine will come with two drive rollers, one V type 0.8/0.9. one W type 0.8/0.9". Sounds a little suspect, what about 0.023"? And I'm not sure you can buy a direct replacement. If that things all it's cracked up to be, though, you could probably adapt a roller from something else. It may outlast the rest of the machine anyway.

And he says Tweco Mini/#1 consumables which would be nice. I like using the black insulator instead of the nozzle with flux-core.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I learned on a stick welder. Glad I did. Currently own a flux-core (sometimes called MIG). But I'm not a professional, but a hacker at home guy.

I don't know much. But I know that it's a good skill to have. And the best of the best in anything, are those who do it every day as a profession.

Humbly stated: If a life depends on your welds or could put people or property in harm's way: Hire a professional welder. Those guys and girls know their stuff.

If you're just fooling around and building stuff that won't kill if it fails... weld on.

Reactions: 2 users

dan_m

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 9, 2020
Georgia
I asked an ebay seller about rolls and consumables. After 2 tries, he replied "The machine will come with two drive rollers, one V type 0.8/0.9. one W type 0.8/0.9". Sounds a little suspect, what about 0.023"? And I'm not sure you can buy a direct replacement. If that things all it's cracked up to be, though, you could probably adapt a roller from something else. It may outlast the rest of the machine anyway.

And he says Tweco Mini/#1 consumables which would be nice. I like using the black insulator instead of the nozzle with flux-core.
I set up the mig 205ds today on my cart. I can confirm it came with v-groove roller (installed) for solid wire as well as v-knurked for flux core.

It also came with .030 contact tip installed and extra .030 and .035. All labeled in metric (.8 and .9). The nozzle installed appears to be a gas nozzle. I'll see if i can find a flux core one so there's less gap between wire and nozzle. I did Replace the included gas nozzle on my HF welder with flux one, it's different size than yeswelder uses.

Dan

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
So, arguably you don't really need the nozzle at all for flux-core wire, although it might help a little bit in steady air and a lot more in wind? Dont know, haven't tested, but i run without it. Gives the best visibility, but then of course you 'notice' that not only is the tip itself live when welding, but the threads you screw that nozzle onto! So what's a guy to do, put the nozzle back on, or tape/heat shrink that area and keep going?

I haven't done anything yet but i probably will heatshrink over it and keep going with no nozzle!

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
So, arguably you don't really need the nozzle at all for flux-core wire, although it might help a little bit in steady air and a lot more in wind? Dont know, haven't tested, but i run without it. Gives the best visibility, but then of course you 'notice' that not only is the tip itself live when welding, but the threads you screw that nozzle onto! So what's a guy to do, put the nozzle back on, or tape/heat shrink that area and keep going?

I haven't done anything yet but i probably will heatshrink over it and keep going with no nozzle!
These:

Used one for a while, but they're a little fragile. Went back to the regular metal tip.

coast40

Equipment
L2250, Bobcat 331, Mitsubishi BD2J
May 16, 2022
Oregon Coast
I set up the mig 205ds today on my cart. I can confirm it came with v-groove roller (installed) for solid wire as well as v-knurked for flux core.

It also came with .030 contact tip installed and extra .030 and .035. All labeled in metric (.8 and .9). The nozzle installed appears to be a gas nozzle. I'll see if i can find a flux core one so there's less gap between wire and nozzle. I did Replace the included gas nozzle on my HF welder with flux one, it's different size than yeswelder uses.

Dan
You might want to keep the new welder as MIG and arc, and keep the small welder fluxcore. Not having to remove flux is a real advantage. Hope I didn't misunderstand.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I'm usually the last to know, but I see Lincoln has come out with a Weld-Pak 180i MP DV for $900 on-line. That's multi-process, dual voltage for about the price of the Weld-Pak 180, MIG 230v. It's right with the HF Titanium Unlimited 200 but no TIG torch included.

If I hadn't ordered a Yeswelder MIG-205DS, I'd probably buy one of these.

dan_m

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 9, 2020
Georgia
You might want to keep the new welder as MIG and arc, and keep the small welder fluxcore. Not having to remove flux is a real advantage. Hope I didn't misunderstand.
If I did that, I'd follow one of the many tutorials and convert it to DC from AC.

Dan

dan_m

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 9, 2020
Georgia
I'm usually the last to know, but I see Lincoln has come out with a Weld-Pak 180i MP DV for $900 on-line. That's multi-process, dual voltage for about the price of the Weld-Pak 180, MIG 230v. It's right with the HF Titanium Unlimited 200 but no TIG torch included.

If I hadn't ordered a Yeswelder MIG-205DS, I'd probably buy one of these.
My issue with the weld-pak 180 is it's not 110v which was a requirement for me right now. when researching i found several that i liked except they were not 110v. Also, even at $900, that's still close to 3x what I paid for the yeswelder.

Dan

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
My issue with the weld-pak 180 is it's not 110v which was a requirement for me right now. when researching i found several that i liked except they were not 110v. Also, even at $900, that's still close to 3x what I paid for the yeswelder.

Dan
Right. This new model is MIG, stick, lift TIG and 110/220v vs MIG-only and 220v only with the older model.

My Yeswelder was delivered yesterday.

BT3101

Equipment
L3130 GST, FEL, Taylor Way BH W/Subframe, Rotary Cutter, Pallet Forks
Mar 20, 2016
Evansville, IN, USA
I thought this would be best place for this question. I currently have an old (10+ years) harbor freight 90amp flux core welder (running hobart wire). I'm teaching myself and was told a stick welder would be easier to learn than flux core. There are so many welders on the market, looking for input. Currently I only do steel (not sheet) and looking to get a better, but not professional quality welder ($500 or so budget). Anyone have any opinions? looking at usual local sales places, the used equipment is high (miller, lincoln electric, hobart, etc).
I use 120V but will be adding 240v in future so I'm looking for dual power.
I also am wanting to get into tig (steel not aluminum) down the road after getting better at welding.
uses would be general projects around home (truck, trailer, tractor), incorporating steel elements in woodworking (frames/legs for tables, work benches, etc) for for 1/2" max thickness.

I'm considering the following, but open to others if anyone has any suggestions.
forney 180st
yeswelder mig 205DS
primeweld CT520D (also plasma cutter).

thanks
I know this thread is a few months old, but thought I'd reply in case you haven't made a purchase yet.

I currently own a Hobart 150amp MIG and a Primeweld 225 amp TIG/Stick. I also have a Primeweld 60Amp plasma cutter and CNC table.

I enjoy and use all 3 types of welding, since each has their applications & circumstances where they are best.

First, I agree with Hatman: inside, 1/2" or less, MIG with 75/25 Arg/CO2 is the way to go.

Primeweld is an awesome company w/3yr postage paid warranties and 24/7 US based customer service.. For $549, they have a dual voltage 180amp MIG with a spool gun (for aluminum). They are getting really high reviews.

Edit: sorry, didn't read your recent post. Looks like maybe you already made a purchase.

Code

Equipment
l3301, fel, lp boxblade, 12" lp auger, lp bush hog, z421 zt, lawnvac leaf vac
Dec 19, 2020
Central, Va
Little late to the thread. So is the mig-250ds at 319 a good deal? I am also starting out mostly 1/4 stee bar/flat/angle with some sheet in the future. Short term is to fix some cracks on my zero turn canopy brackets and weld hooks on the 3301 bucket. Dont have 220 in shop yet so 110 only for now. Thanks