In market for budget welder

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Little late to the thread. So is the mig-250ds at 319 a good deal? I am also starting out mostly 1/4 steel bar/flat/angle with some sheet in the future. Short term is to fix some cracks on my zero turn canopy brackets and weld hooks on the 3301 bucket. Dont have 220 in shop yet so 110 only for now. Thanks
Yes, but I think you mean 205 - the 250 is 220v only. I was going to post that Amazon price of $319, in case anyone was interested. $349 on eBay was the best price I saw a couple of weeks ago.

BTW, I received the rod holder cable with the correct connector in the mail today, which was pretty prompt, so I feel good about them. Just be aware that this is a Chinese deal, and minor changes are sometimes made. These things have been out a couple of years, so you'd think they'd have it all worked out.

For me, the Yeswelder fits the bill since I don't anticipate needing a TIG torch or spool gun. [rant on]I got frustrated yesterday (it was hot) trying to touch up a frame I'm making out of 3/4" IMC (intermediate metal conduit) with 0.035" FC. After I checked the wall thickness later, I saw it was thinner than I was thinking. The gasless setting only goes down to 1.6mm and 80A, and others have said it runs hot on the uncorrected settings. I'm wondering if I can just use the MIG settings. I'm not used to controlling voltage and current both, I thought stick was constant current and MIG/FCAW was constant voltage. It would help to see at least a logic diagram or an explanation to understand what the settings do. For example, are the voltage and current settings upper limits and the power is limited by which one is reached first? Does it dynamically change wire speed to try to meet both current and voltage (surely not)? When you manually override the voltage does it change anything else (I'd hope not)?[rant off]

I laid some good beads with FC and stick, so I know it's capable. I just need to spend some time getting used to it.

Code

Equipment
l3301, fel, lp boxblade, 12" lp auger, lp bush hog, z421 zt, lawnvac leaf vac
Dec 19, 2020
Central, Va
Yea 205. Fat thumbs on mobile and tired. I think ill be picking one up

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I've been reading along because I've been looking for a welder myself. Mainly wanting the Miller 220 multi process for Mig, stick, and both a/c and d/c tig. Not exactly a budget friendly option, but it does it all. My son ended getting the Esab rebel which has the same functionality. He chose it over the Miller because it can use standard torches while the Miller uses Miller torches which are proprietary and can be more costly/less options. So now I'm hoping to 'borrow' his and avoid buying one altogether ;)
esab.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Did y
I've been reading along because I've been looking for a welder myself. Mainly wanting the Miller 220 multi process for Mig, stick, and both a/c and d/c tig. Not exactly a budget friendly option, but it does it all. My son ended getting the Esab rebel which has the same functionality. He chose it over the Miller because it can use standard torches while the Miller uses Miller torches which are proprietary and can be more costly/less options. So now I'm hoping to 'borrow' his and avoid buying one altogether ;)
View attachment 86435
Did you consider the new Lincoln I mentioned on post 75?

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Did y

Did you consider the new Lincoln I mentioned on post 75?
I looked at it but marked if off the list because it only does DC tig, no AC tig. He wants to tig aluminum for some reason and I didn't argue. I'm looking forward to messing up some aluminum ;)

Code

Equipment
Dec 19, 2020
Central, Va
My yes welder was delivered today. Down the rabbit hole i go. Any Youtube recommendations?

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
My yes welder was delivered today. Down the rabbit hole i go. Any Youtube recommendations?
I like Mike Festiva, but I don't remember if he does Yes specifically. Let me know what you find, I need all the help I can get!

Sep 3, 2022
America
Study metallurgy - a large part of sticking two things together is knowledge of what's being stuck! Here's a list of free PDF books on the subject.
Youtube has some amazing welders. I like this guy:
and this channel:

I got started sweating copper joints with my father using propane. Later got into jewelry making (silver, sterling, nickel, etc.) and shortly after high school got my first Oxy-Acetelyne torch. I learned to weld many metals (including aluminum) with a torch and did a bit of bodywork and fabrication with it. Later got a mig (use gas - migs with the flux core miss the "ig" that makes it so much easier), and just recently found an unbelievable deal on craigslist for a Lincoln Tig. I'm not a great welder, but I can make things stick, and at this point that good enough!

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020
I like TimWelds, he also has a video series you can purchase, $60 if I remember correctly.

Code

Equipment
Dec 19, 2020
Central, Va
Thanks for all the links . Much appreciated

dan_m

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 9, 2020
Georgia
Thanks for all the links . Much appreciated
There are a lot of welding videos online but I haven't came across anything specific to yeswelder, other than reviews.

Weld.com has some good videos as well. Good one that comes to mind is one explaining welding rod choices/numbering.

I C Weld is fun to watch, he's a heavy equipment welder and he does a good job explaining the why's of how he approaches jobs.

Get some scrap metal or start some small projects - you'll learn as you go and there's nothing wrong with that! One of my first welding project was 3 guide brackets made from 3/16" x 1" flat bar for a rolling gate I made for my front porch. I did more grinding than welding but they are still in use after several years and they allow me to sit in a rocker on the front porch with the pooch, wave at the neighbors and sip an adult beverage while watching the sun set. Not much better in this world than enjoying the fruits of your labor.

Dan

UPDATE :
I forgot to mention Weld D. I like that the wrong and correct ways are illustrated.
Also allistairc123 has some interesting videos to watch of heavy equipment repair. Similar to I C Weld but doesn't give as much detail. Both I C and allistairc123 give some good insite in how to approach repairs regardless of size.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users