In frame honing of good bores.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Interesting thread…and interesting techniques… and Each to His Own….

Here’s my opinion on such repairs and observations on THIS one:

Kubotafreak: Fine workmanship as far as your work goes. I mean that…even tho’ I wouldn’t necessarily agree with honing cylinders to improve compressions.

When low compressions are found…the next thing to do, IMO, is to perform a “DIFFERENTIAL” compression-test. This may go by other names…but it’s basically placing a piston on TDC and then injecting air into the cylinder via the spark-plug port or injector port….. and listening for any escaping air.
Escaping air (Hissing) at the intakes is a leaking intake valve—- Hissing at the exhaust pipe is a leaking exhaust valve—- and hissing at the oil-filler-cap is a piston/ring leaking into the crankcase.

If a valve is leaking …it’s a valve job.

If it’s a piston/ring….it’s a bottom-end job. It is NEVER a “cylinder-honing job” with the piston in-situ… alone.

Cylinder walls are honed into a “cross-hatch” pattern for ONE PURPOSE: To Quickly Seat piston Rings. I hope it’s obvious this would be on a NEW or REBUILT engine.

[ It’s my opinion that de-glazing cylinder walls by honing intending to improve compressions is an “Exercise in Futility!” …unless New Rings are also installed.]

Cylinder-walls become glazed because rings did not properly “seat”. Oil by-passes the rings into the upper cylinder and burn into the walls and sometimes contaminate valve train. This can be due to several issues: Obviously failed pistons/rings… but, …in new engines, Primarily Improper Break-In of new engines, …possibly attributed to use of synthetics and “snake-oils” during break-in… and/or improper operations and lack of speed-variation during break-in. Cylinders can glaze if engines pass too much oil via leaking valve-stem-seals also…but the PRIMARY reason is improper break-in (which can include “baby-ing” a new engine. A new engine should experience the full-range of operations during break-in. (Kubota is wrong IMO to suggest that “full throttle” operations should be avoided in early hours of operation. I believe ALL regimes of operation should be experienced for proper break-in.… only avoid full-throttle/hard-work for “extended periods” for the early hours. IMO)

With the above opinion in-mind…there is no reason IMO to ever hone a cylinder with a piston “in-situ”. While the grease-dam Kubotafreak uses is imaginative…it is not a good method IMO because grease will attract the abrasive and the subsequent WD40 will only wash it down into the piston/ring/cyl-wall interface….but that is a subjective matter and involves individual technique…and so he might defend it… I’ll just reiterate that the entire process of honing with a piston still in the bore is a bad idea and no reason for such process is valid. None.

Why? Because cylinder cross-hatch-honing is entirely for the purpose of Seating RINGS… and it does that by MATING the ring-to-cyl-wall interface…primarily by CUTTING the minute cross-hatches and ring-surfaces which become “polished” with each other.
RE-honing an engine somewhere thru it’s operating life (after break-in) at BEST only adds unnecessary wear to rings and cylinders by wearing-away important surfaces…. as already said…”at BEST”. It will not “save” anything..it’s only a waste.…and a hazard to the engine. IMO

The old-timers’ comments/opinion about an oily-rag-test of the cylinder wall is just another interesting but useless process. Cylinder walls that have been honed should be honed using Stoddard or “safety” solvent…Never oil, ATF, or any other lubricant. Solvent will continuously wash-away the “fines” of metal and abrasives from the stones and walls. Oil will “burn” or “coke” and embed into the walls and that is what the old-timer demonstrated…his only advice-failure was in allowing oil to be used during honing.

(The technique I use when honing cylinders is to use a container of solvent resting above the engine along with a siphon blow-gun resting on top of the cylinder with it’s pick-up in the solvent. A short blast of the gun will start the siphon…which will continuously flow solvent into/onto the hone as it cuts the cross-hatch….and washes the cyl-walls immediately and keeps them clean.)

From the pics, it looks like the pistons/rings have failed to control oil…which has glazed the cylinder walls and contaminated the valve-stems. A differential compression-test would have revealed this defect and all this wasted work accomplished so-far could have been saved.
I had this opinion before reading to the end…. but just saying that probably won’t convince a reader that I didn’t come up with this until after Kubotafreak revealed the failed piston…. but it is true.

Summary: Honing with a piston in-place to de-glaze a cylinder is a false-hope of curing the real problem…unless you are willing to accept the fact that you are about to re-seat piston-rings and deliberately remove ring and cyl-wall material… falsely creating the same results as many hours of engine operations. It may fool a potential buyer of used equipment…but it’s not a ”proper repair” for longevity.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Geohorn has joined the chat! Long read there, but ill take it.

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
Cylinder walls are honed into a “cross-hatch” pattern for ONE PURPOSE: To Quickly Seat piston Rings. I hope it’s obvious this would be on a NEW or REBUILT engine.
... the entire process of honing with a piston still in the bore is a bad idea and no reason for such process is valid. None.

Why? Because cylinder cross-hatch-honing is entirely for the purpose of Seating RINGS… and it does that by MATING the ring-to-cyl-wall interface…primarily by CUTTING the minute cross-hatches and ring-surfaces which become “polished” with each other.
RE-honing an engine somewhere thru it’s operating life (after break-in) at BEST only adds unnecessary wear to rings and cylinders by wearing-away important surfaces…. as already said…”at BEST”. It will not “save” anything..it’s only a waste.…and a hazard to the engine. IMO
It's always been my understanding (and backed up by very limited experience) that honing/deglazing only helps new rings seat so I don't disagree with the above, but why doesn't it work for later on in the operating life of the engine? The above explanation would seem to apply equally to used rings. Can Geohorn or someone else explain that please?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Used rings are already seated/matched to cylinder walls. If you re-hatch cyl-walls they will aggressively re-address rings and reduce their size and tensions. If cyls are re-hatched..then NEW RINGS should be installed.

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
I wonder how many of the naysayers here have actually cut open a used oil filter and really inspected it? Ever held a magnet under the unfolded pleats and seen the oil "dance" a little in the reflection? The oil filter is not there just in case a little external dirt finds it's way into the oil -- it's there because even a perfectly healthy engine sheds metal and any bits that are larger than the oil-film thickness cause a cascade of greater shedding.

Of course, this is self evidently true and absolutely irrefutable. In fact, it seams to be a philosophy that some people live by. <sarcasm> It's best to cower in fear of messing up than to try anything new. </sarcasm>

I thought OP laid it out very reasonably that this method was clearly going against convention and had justifiable reasons for doing so.

The level of sanctimonious reactions to this thread is astounding.

But, the implicit character attacks -- wow, I'm really glad some of you folks are NOT my neighbors.
I have cut open quite a few oil filters just out of curiosity of engine condition(used car lots usually will let you take the filter if you spin a new one on and refill the engine),

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
Used rings are already seated/matched to cylinder walls. If you re-hatch cyl-walls they will aggressively re-address rings and reduce their size and tensions. If cyls are re-hatched..then NEW RINGS should be installed.
I understand the reasoning, thanks for the reply GeoHorn.

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
New parts showed up. Anyone doing these, pay very close attention to ring/piston orientation.

DC960E15-D6DB-4854-8F30-7CFCDEB02E92.jpeg
87CA9B11-AAB1-4CB6-B757-61456D0353A1.jpeg
FAF4F862-90FA-4C6A-8264-631902FCBEAE.jpeg

Joisey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB
May 31, 2015
Wild, Wonderful West Virginia
I have no dog in this fight, but I respectfully disagree with the quote " If you do some research, the last 10% of the bore not honed will not amount to much. First of all it is considered the no wear zone. So the original hatch is still there, as proven by visual, and measurements."

There is wear in the cylinder where the piston reaches bottom dead center. The rings reverse direction and move sideways, taking advantage of the necessary slight side clearance between the ring groove in the piston and the ring. The wear at the top of the cylinder from this same action is more pronounced, this being due to less lubricating oil on the rings/cylinder at the top of the piston stroke.

Moly rings hold oil and take some ungodly amount of heat but have one enemy. DIRT. One piece of grit from the hone will eat those rings alive. You have a zero percent chance of getting all of the grit out with the pistons in the bores.

Your engine, your money, your choice.

destey

Equipment
1984 L275
Mar 11, 2022
USA
Rebuilt snowmobiles, never a diesel so I might be out of my lane here but I think the problem came from the WD40 washing everything, grease included, into the piston ring landings. Bunch of grease, shavings, gook etc started cooking off in the ring areas and ended up on the cylinder walls. Diesel takes special oil, regular oil can't handle the high compression and, I forget what it does technically, but it breaks down. That grease washed in by the WD 40 was not good enough like diesel motor oil. I just looked into that because I picked up the wrong oil for my kubota that I just bought. Assumed it used regular 10w30 but that was a bad assumption. Ran it for like an hour with regular non diesel oil then my dad told me that was not good, shut it down and put the correct oil in. Is my engine ok you guys think? Sorry to hijack.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Rebuilt snowmobiles, never a diesel so I might be out of my lane here but I think the problem came from the WD40 washing everything, grease included, into the piston ring landings. Bunch of grease, shavings, gook etc started cooking off in the ring areas and ended up on the cylinder walls. Diesel takes special oil, regular oil can't handle the high compression and, I forget what it does technically, but it breaks down. That grease washed in by the WD 40 was not good enough like diesel motor oil. I just looked into that because I picked up the wrong oil for my kubota that I just bought. Assumed it used regular 10w30 but that was a bad assumption. Ran it for like an hour with regular non diesel oil then my dad told me that was not good, shut it down and put the correct oil in. Is my engine ok you guys think? Sorry to hijack.
Sure…it’ll be fine.

Reactions: 1 user