Impact Wrench Recommendations?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
."I haven’t ever used a battery impact. From a distance they look almost too good to be true"

Idk If they wil last 30 years. But they are the cats meow for quick and easy no compressor no hose no cord just grab and go
Yep! They're capable of some serious torque too. I had to buy a torque multiplier and 3/4" socket set for the M1078 last year since 600 ft-lb is the norm on that beast and the M18 won't touch those lugnuts. Either way, the M18 is way better than the IR impact which I haven't used since upgrading.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I have a cheapie pneumatic 1/2" Campbell-Hausfeld. Has done everything I've asked of it.

Got a 1/2" Dewalt (?) corded impact 10+ years ago. Okay, but kind of anemic. Don't like the ring-type retainer, like @mcmxi mentioned. Don't use it much or look for it. Use the C-H pneumatic.

I have Milwaukee M18 tools/batteries. Never thought of an impact.

At one time was looking at H-F impacts, but didn't get one.

I don't use an impact regularly like @Daren Todd does. Maybe once a month.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The other big plus with battery powered impacts over pneumatic models is that they don't require lubrication i.e. oil in the air line. It's one of those tools that you buy and wish you'd bought sooner, or it is for me at least.

Reactions: 1 users

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I have a cheapie pneumatic 1/2" Campbell-Hausfeld. Has done everything I've asked of it.

Got a 1/2" Dewalt (?) corded impact 10+ years ago. Okay, but kind of anemic. Don't like the ring-type retainer, like @mcmxi mentioned. Don't use it much or look for it. Use the C-H pneumatic.

I have Milwaukee M18 tools/batteries. Never thought of an impact.

At one time was looking at H-F impacts, but didn't get one.

I don't use an impact regularly like @Daren Todd does. Maybe once a month.
Yeah, Mines out daily and used on 5/8" and 3/4" bolts. Between field installs and tearing down equipment it gets used quite a bit.

Quite often hammering on a jack out bolt for a rusted on part.

I keep telling the tool truck vendors they need to make me a field tester for their impact guns. I could quickly find the weak points tearing down a 12" or 14" pump that's rusted solid. 😁😁😁😁😁😁

Reactions: 1 user

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
The other big plus with battery powered impacts over pneumatic models is that they don't require lubrication i.e. oil in the air line. It's one of those tools that you buy and wish you'd bought sooner, or it is for me at least.
The person who came up with lithium ion battery's and combined it with the brushless technology in a cordless impact is an absolute genius👍👍👍👍👍

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yup, probably never made a penny off it, made China trillions of sawbucks AND has begun the destruction of the Earth...

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I have the m18 Milwaukee along with several other Milwaukee tools. The wrench works great. The only drawback is that it is much bigger physically than a 1/2” air impact so getting into tighter places is difficult. I still occasionally use the air wrench for difficult to reach places. The portability of the cordless wrench is great.

icspots

Equipment
BX2380 LA344 Loader MMM
May 10, 2023
Mid-Atlantic
This is one of those things that I convinced myself for years to just push through and do without. I always just had a bigger wrench, or a longer pipe. Note, I don’t own a compressor or any air tools. Note I was also wrong and should’ve bought one years earlier.

I finally got the cheapest plug in electric impact I could after I had a bolt in my car’s rear suspension seize up, and be just in the right position I couldn’t throw a cheater bar on without catching it on the ground or the chassis. Impact took it right off, but it was a stupid huge and heavy wrench….. like 15” long with a deep socket on it, so totally unsuitable to accessing anything even partially obstructed. At the time I had dewalt 12v tools, but they stopped developing that platform in favor of the 18/20v platforms, so I was looking to do a platform change for any new tools if I wanted battery compatibility.

I would’ve loved going to Milwaukee or ridgid just for the really broad platform options, but couldn’t really drop the money on it at the time. Ended up getting a series of unpredictable deals, discounts, and rebate cards on a set of ryobi brushless tools so ended up paying less than half on tools and batteries as I would’ve on one of the pricier brands. Not saying ryobi are the end all be all, but the 1/2” impact isn’t huge, has plenty of power, and has four power settings (including an auto setting which will stop spinning when it starts/stops getting resistance).

If you’re already in the milwaukee system I’d confirm whether your old batteries are in fact not compatible with the new tools, and vice versa. If not just shop around for what’s right for you. Maybe you find some silly deal on multiple tools. Nothing wrong with having a couple of tools on their own platforms, especially if you get a deal that comes with a battery and charger. Just doesn’t help you for battery cross-compatibility (though some batteries can be used on other brand tools with an adapter). Hell, if it’s an occasional use tool you could always go with the HF cheapo tool with their protection plan. Can return for any reason within the plan term, so you could take it back in perfect condition the day before it expires and just renew it.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Having been a mechanic for years, I can tell you this.

All pneumatic tools are great on day one, when brand new, but they all make a slow "Death March" to the sh!t can.

I have had Snap-on, Matco, IR, Craftsman.......etc.

Rebuild kits have always been a mixed bag of results for me, and I have never been fully satisfied with the performance even when I sent them back to the factory. My experience has been that they are "ok" for a month or 2 after rebuild, then they begin to noticeably lose power again.

Since I am no longer a mechanic I replaced my Snap-On pneumatics with AirCat stuff on Amazon a few years ago.

They have been pretty good for this weekend warrior.

tbk5

Equipment
L3710, L3010, ZD1211, RTV900xt, GR2100, lots of 3pt equipment
Sep 24, 2013
Central AL
Except I already have a 1/2in and 3/4in drive pneumatic impact wrenches and an air line with oiler on the compressor. :D But if I didn't, I would go with a Milwaukee M18 becasue I have lots of M18 tools and batteries.

tbk5

Equipment
L3710, L3010, ZD1211, RTV900xt, GR2100, lots of 3pt equipment
Sep 24, 2013
Central AL
Having been a mechanic for years, I can tell you this.

All pneumatic tools are great on day one, when brand new, but they all make a slow "Death March" to the sh!t can.

I have had Snap-on, Matco, IR, Craftsman.......etc.

Rebuild kits have always been a mixed bag of results for me, and I have never been fully satisfied with the performance even when I sent them back to the factory. My experience has been that they are "ok" for a month or 2 after rebuild, then they begin to noticeably lose power again.

Since I am no longer a mechanic I replaced my Snap-On pneumatics with AirCat stuff on Amazon a few years ago.

They have been pretty good for this weekend warrior.
LOL. I agree, The 3/4in impact that I inherited from dad is a beast but the trigger doesn't work. I set up the wrench then plug the line on. Yee haa--look at her go....

• Haha

trial and error

Equipment
B7100dt manual trans. homemade FEL, 4 way hydraulic dozer blade
Feb 16, 2023
NY
This is one of those things that I convinced myself for years to just push through and do without. I always just had a bigger wrench, or a longer pipe. Note, I don’t own a compressor or any air tools. Note I was also wrong and should’ve bought one years earlier.

I finally got the cheapest plug in electric impact I could after I had a bolt in my car’s rear suspension seize up, and be just in the right position I couldn’t throw a cheater bar on without catching it on the ground or the chassis. Impact took it right off, but it was a stupid huge and heavy wrench….. like 15” long with a deep socket on it, so totally unsuitable to accessing anything even partially obstructed. At the time I had dewalt 12v tools, but they stopped developing that platform in favor of the 18/20v platforms, so I was looking to do a platform change for any new tools if I wanted battery compatibility.

I would’ve loved going to Milwaukee or ridgid just for the really broad platform options, but couldn’t really drop the money on it at the time. Ended up getting a series of unpredictable deals, discounts, and rebate cards on a set of ryobi brushless tools so ended up paying less than half on tools and batteries as I would’ve on one of the pricier brands. Not saying ryobi are the end all be all, but the 1/2” impact isn’t huge, has plenty of power, and has four power settings (including an auto setting which will stop spinning when it starts/stops getting resistance).

If you’re already in the milwaukee system I’d confirm whether your old batteries are in fact not compatible with the new tools, and vice versa. If not just shop around for what’s right for you. Maybe you find some silly deal on multiple tools. Nothing wrong with having a couple of tools on their own platforms, especially if you get a deal that comes with a battery and charger. Just doesn’t help you for battery cross-compatibility (though some batteries can be used on other brand tools with an adapter). Hell, if it’s an occasional use tool you could always go with the HF cheapo tool with their protection plan. Can return for any reason within the plan term, so you could take it back in perfect condition the day before it expires and just renew it.
Nothing wrong with ryobi for occasional use, their tools (ie 1/4" mpacts and 1/2" drills) tend to be a little bulkier but that ussually is not an issue for a "weekend warrior" they also come from the same parent company as many others including ridgid and I believe milwakee they just have slightly less quality parts overall which again is probably fine for 95% of people working on their own stuff. I would stay away from the H.F stuff just becuase they tend to not keep battery platforms for nearly as long as the other tool brands, and also they are getting to be (almost) as expensive as the other brands for anything worth getting in the power tool area especially their 1/2" impacts and large AH batteries by the time you factor in the cost of a larger battery and charger from H.F. you could have at least got a ryobi combo or even maybe been close to a ridgid combo

Last edited:

Sparky Prep

Dec 24, 2022
South Florida
I recommend a battery impact. I personally own a DeWalt 1/2" impact, 3/8" impact. and 1/4" impact, and I love all 3. You can't go wrong with Milwaukee, either. I also own a Ingersol Rand 1/2" pneumatic impact, and it is EXCELLENT, but I rarely use it anymore due to the convenience of the battery tools.

icspots

Equipment
BX2380 LA344 Loader MMM
May 10, 2023
Mid-Atlantic
Nothing wrong with ryobi for occasional use, their tools (ie 1/4" mpacts and 12" drills) tend to be a little bulkier but that ussually is not an issue for a "weekend warrior" they also come from the same parent company as many others including ridgid and I believe milwakee they just have slightly less quality parts overall which again is probably fine for 95% of people working on their own stuff. I would stay away from the H.F stuff just becuase they tend to not keep battery platforms for nearly as long as the other tool brands, and also they are getting to be (almost) as expensive as the other brands for anything worth getting in the power tool area especially their 1/2" impacts and large AH batteries by the time you factor in the cost of a larger battery and charger from H.F. you could have at least got a ryobi combo or even maybe been close to a ridgid combo
The Ryobis are definitely bulkier than some of the comparable ridgid and Milwaukee. Then again I saw when I was cross shopping some of those smaller tools don’t put out the same torque. Granted I’m not generally needing 600 ft/lbs of torque, but this thing has easily taken off everything I’ve needed it to.

They aren’t something I would want to use all day every day doing construction, but for normal upkeep and projects they’re fine.

Oh absolutely. The HF comment is really more because of their protection plan. You don’t have to wait for it to break to return it. Have a coworker who bought a new miter saw from them with the intention of destroying it during a barn build. The guy literally told him to get the protection plan, then return it for replacement the day before it ran out and they’d swap it no questions asked. Brand new saw! But for battery tools that’s a different calculation to be sure.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I’ve had the same lug wrench my dad gave me when I got a car…it was used then, but shiney…it’s in my truck now….but it is used so rarely it has some corrosion on it…works just as good as when I got it, the problem I don’t work the same…I don’t have the shoulders of a young man any more…every year I think I will buy an impact when they go on sale but I always seem to miss the sale or pucker at the price, and I wonder why when I need to rarely use the lug wrench. Maybe this year? Either way it will be a Milwaukee as that is my battery platform.

trial and error

Equipment
B7100dt manual trans. homemade FEL, 4 way hydraulic dozer blade
Feb 16, 2023
NY
I’ve had the same lug wrench my dad gave me when I got a car…it was used then, but shiney…it’s in my truck now….but it is used so rarely it has some corrosion on it…works just as good as when I got it, the problem I don’t work the same…I don’t have the shoulders of a young man any more…every year I think I will buy an impact when they go on sale but I always seem to miss the sale or pucker at the price, and I wonder why when I need to rarely use the lug wrench. Maybe this year? Either way it will be a Milwaukee as that is my battery platform.
Just do it lol they are only going up in price

• Haha

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
LOL. I agree, The 3/4in impact that I inherited from dad is a beast but the trigger doesn't work. I set up the wrench then plug the line on. Yee haa--look at her go....
We have two earth quake 1" pneumatic impacts at the shop. One for two bays that's dedicated to semi trailer lug nuts.

The other is in the other two bays and gets used for large bolts where the torque needed is over 1000ft/lbs

Each gun weighs 20+ pounds. So they only get used when required and hang on the wall for the majority of the time.

It's seen a lot less use since I got my 40vlt 3/4" drive cordless impact 😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
That’s the way my current impact works! And why I’m looking to replace it…

For a few minutes I had the thought to make up a whip with a ball valve in it to put between the impact and air line so I could cut it off and on with the valve on the whip. My adult son was with me (replacing a spindle on his mower deck) while I was scrounging up the parts from the random excess air stuff drawer and as I was explaining what I was doing he said something to the effect of “Good grief, you really are turning into Grandpa with that squirrely sh…”. So now I’m buying an impact. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Except I already have a 1/2in and 3/4in drive pneumatic impact wrenches and an air line with oiler on the compressor. :D But if I didn't, I would go with a Milwaukee M18 becasue I have lots of M18 tools and batteries.
I have a couple of dryers in series and a dryer and oiler in series mounted to the wall in the garage but I still opted for the M18. I have an IR needle gun and other pneumatic tools so still have a need for the dryer and oiler. I have a DeWalt 1/4" impact too that's useful for smaller stuff of course. I'll buy a 3/8" impact at some point, and most likely a DeWalt like this one.

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
I have a couple of dryers in series and a dryer and oiler in series mounted to the wall in the garage but I still opted for the M18. I have an IR needle gun and other pneumatic tools so still have a need for the dryer and oiler. I have a DeWalt 1/4" impact too that's useful for smaller stuff of course. I'll buy a 3/8" impact at some point, and most likely a DeWalt like this one.

DeWalt is stepping up their game with that one. I have the older version DCF 899 with 30% less output and I thought it was a beast.