I'm getting to the point of not wanting to let anyone use any of my things any more.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
You'd think I'd learn, whether it's friends borrowing trailers or flail mowers or whatever, and doing some sort of damage, but no one seems to take care of anything any more. This past weekend I had a friend come over to help me switch around the M6060 wheels and weights. He's currently had my 16ft dump trailer for close to three weeks so I didn't feel too bad about having him help me in return. I had him drive the tractor since he's older and recently had COVID for at least the second time.

At some point towards the end of the afternoon, a neighbors tenant stopped by (I've known him for a couple of years now) and figured he'd help despite not being asked, and jumped in the MX a couple of times. Once they both left and I was putting tools away and moving tractors, I noticed that one of them had scratched up the cab frame which is really annoying. I've got in and out of that tractor hudreds of times and never once scratched it. I'm really at the point of not letting anyone borrow anything ever again.

I have Kubota gray paint and will try to match it up, but it's annoying that I have to fix other's carelessness. Yes, I realize that it's a tool, and tools will get damaged, but I still try to look after things.

mx_scratches.jpg

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 7 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
And that is one more reason I dont let people play with my toys

Reactions: 5 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
You can borrow my hand-tools, my dog (who will ignore anything you order her to do if I don’t also encourage her), and my SIL (good luck with him)…. but not my guns, wife, or tractor…in that order.

I‘ve borrowed my neighbors backhoe (and he does the same with my stuff if I operate it)….but only because he sent his worker with it to operate it. If I need something I don’t own … I rent it or, if more than once, …I buy it.

• Haha

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Kinda curious as to HOW those deep scratches were made......
I've only loaned out my BX23s ONCE in 5 years,has about 65 hrs on it....it came back cleaner and a full tank of fuel in it !
I don't loan out my '97 F150 or the dump trailer though.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Looks like a belt-mounted key-chain or phone-carrier may have done it.

Reactions: 2 users

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
Tool(s) in back pocket?

Reactions: 1 user

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Dude. Ive been at thay point for 20 years.
I was thinking keys also. Tools in the back pocket would probably ventilate the seat vinyl.

Reactions: 3 users

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
That's very disappointing to see. I have one friend, my best friend who we each borrow pretty much anything tool or equipment related.

Reactions: 1 users

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I've been at that point for a while. There are a select few that I will trust. In the same token, I loath to borrow anything. If I need it, I'll buy it.

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
I was gonna say jeans(rivet) did that. I almost dont let my wife drive my car because her fancy diamond ring puts cuts in all the leather steering wheels. Dont know about everyone else, but its very annoying to feel that gash(scratch) in the leather as it spins in your hands when turning.
Begrudgingly loaned a table saw to my sister in law. Saw came back with the cord cut off…. She is dead to me now. Its just easier to say NO, and look like a selfish *** for 3 seconds. I hardly let people help either, they always rush things, and thats how mistakes happen. Like never trust how someone else to lock the hitch to a trailer…

• Wow

sitric

Equipment
L2850DT Ferguson TO35
Jan 13, 2023
Michigan
My tractors were made to work, and get dirty. I suppose the first scratch might be bothersome, but I use them and expect if I let someone else borrow them, they will use them. Shiny paint doesn't make them perform better. If they come back broke, then I would expect the user to fix, or at least pay.

• Dislike

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
You'd think I'd learn, whether it's friends borrowing trailers or flail mowers or whatever, and doing some sort of damage, but no one seems to take care of anything any more. This past weekend I had a friend come over to help me switch around the M6060 wheels and weights. He's currently had my 16ft dump trailer for close to three weeks so I didn't feel too bad about having him help me in return. I had him drive the tractor since he's older and recently had COVID for at least the second time.

At some point towards the end of the afternoon, a neighbors tenant stopped by (I've known him for a couple of years now) and figured he'd help despite not being asked, and jumped in the MX a couple of times. Once they both left and I was putting tools away and moving tractors, I noticed that one of them had scratched up the cab frame which is really annoying. I've got in and out of that tractor hudreds of times and never once scratched it. I'm really at the point of not letting anyone borrow anything ever again.

I have Kubota gray paint and will try to match it up, but it's annoying that I have to fix other's carelessness. Yes, I realize that it's a tool, and tools will get damaged, but I still try to look after things.

View attachment 103976
Did they apologize and offer to make it right or say nothing at all? Personally I’d be pissed at no apology or offer…but it’s a delicate situation if a friend…maybe they did not know, but those from the pic that’s not easy to do in casual use IMO….certainly more than a scuff or abrasion….shit my 3pt hitch doesn’t have scratches like that. For me I share simple tools and help, and that is about it. I’m odd at best and I can get wrapped around axle if people disrespect me or my stuff…I am not quite to the end of spectrum as Francis in STRiPES, but I am difficult at best…I know it and my friends / family know it. I am more willing to come bring my tools or machine and help with if it is reciprocated, but I don’t let the high dollar stuff be lent out…firearms, machines, etc. it’s just better for everyone to draw the line that I got issues and leave it at that. (It’s not you it’s me). Personally I don’t like borrowing as if I do so much as scratch I would be obligated to fix as I know how I would feel…so I rather trade the personal help and leave it at that.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
3 things I never lend out:

my chainsaws
my wife
my tractors

no particular order btwo_O;)

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
I liked your post, not because of the damage, but I believe in what you say. I don’t like to borrow stuff, and I’m hesitant to lend stuff out. A big thing is pride. Others quite often, and usually the younger generation, didn’t have to earn that dollar to buy stuff, and subsequently take no pride in theirs, or other’s possessions and accomplishments.

Reactions: 6 users

trial and error

Equipment
B7100dt manual trans. homemade FEL, 4 way hydraulic dozer blade
Feb 16, 2023
NY
That's a tough one, I don't own a lot of "fancy stuff" not that, that should matter. I have however clawed, and fought for everything I do have. Albiet it isn't much. I am hesitant to borrow stuff because even though I am responsible and careful, stuff happens and I ussually don't have the financial means to replace those items. I try to return stuff better then I find it ( not always possible) for instance I borrowed my neighbors log splitter last year for a weekend. It has been used and used and has bent log cradles and fenders. I bent the cradles back as best as I could and got the fenders to where they where no longer scraping the tires I also offered to return it full of fuel but he said he was getting ready to store it and would rather it come back empty to which I obliged. Took most of the fuel out and let it run dry with a dose of stabil storage in what was left. I also cleaned it off before returning. And bought him a case of beer ( not worth much but it was the thought). The advantage of this exchange was, it made buying a splitter of our own a easy sell to the Mrs. We picked one up a few months later when it went on sale. I don't have alot to offer others in the form of tools or machines what I do have I try to help others with, and thankfully my list of friends is pretty short so not too many people come knocking on my door lol. My point is this it is important to know who you are loaning stuff to, how do they take care of their stuff? Are they mechanically inclined enough to be able to repair something if they break it? Are they careless in general? Do they seem to be hardworking honest blue collar folks like myself ( toot toot lol) or are they total numbskulls who have more $ then brains and leave their lawnmower out in the rain

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
I have a friend I do trust with stuff that I forgot about in my earlier post… I borrowed Chuck’s truck and flatbed trailer to haul and test a tractor another friend…a long time family friend Richard…. wished to sell, and who assured me it would be perfect for me, (as he knew my place and had been out here many times.)

The little Ford diesel tractor was too small for my job (mow/shred 27 acres) and I said so when I showed up with the truck/trailer to haul it to my place. (I didn’t know it when we first talked but when I arrived…. I saw it… It was a tiny thing ..almost a lawn tractor…..a model 1100….with a 48” shredder.) I didn’t want to even load it up….. But Richard said, “you’re gonna be surprised..take it home… mow your place with it…you’ll see! Really!”

So I loaded the little “toy” Ford, brought it home and after 30 mins it overheated and blew a head gasket. I used the starter-motor to load it back onto the trailer.

Hauling the little tractor to the dealer so I could get it repaird (and pissed off at myself for ever believing and accepting Richards’ assurances)…. it began to rain heavily.

The right-rear-outboard tire on Chuck’s dually blew-out and collapsed the wheel-rim when it blew. 🤬 The truck began to fish-tail…the long loaded trailer didn’t help..and I barely managed to get it off the road, onto the shoulder without colliding with the 5-o’clock traffic all around me on the slippery rain-soaked street.

I called Chuck. He was just getting off work himself and came to my location,…we removed the wheel and took it and the damaged rim to Discount Tire where I spent $275 on a replacement tire and wheel of similar quality. I then delivered the little tractor to the dealership for repair. I then drove the 100 miles round trip to Chuck’s to return his truck/trailer and retrieve my own truck…drove another 90 miles to get back home.

One week later the dealer called…. blown head gasket and cracked head. $ 2900. I paid the repair invoice and Richard was notified the dealer would deliver his little tractor to him.

Irritating thought: Richard said, almost in an off-hand remark, “Yeah…that’s what happened last time too.” (When he suggested I buy it from him he never mentioned it had ever overheated and had a head replaced. I was somewhat more than non-plussed that a family friend would attempt so hard to sell me his too-small tractor over my protests and not mention it had a history of overheating.)

But, ….I FIXED BOTH MY FRIENDS EQUIPMENT because I borrowed it and it broke while in my possession. That’s the way I do things.

That’s the way Chuck does things also. (He borrowed my pressure-washer and when he returned it to me he also handed me the original recoil-starter-assy…which had broken during his use…and he’d taken it in to a dealer who he paid to replace the recoil starter.
I told Chuck, “I wish you hadn’t done that, Chuck!”
He said, “Hey…that’s how you and I always do things when we borrow each others stuff.”
I said, “Yeah…but I wish you’d have called me first…..it was still under warranty and that recoil starter had been replaced under warranty once already.… This is the SECOND one!” 😳

But that’s how we both roll.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I go the other way. We're not super wealthy, but we're comfortable. Our neighbourhood is reasonably close knit, lots of retired farmers. They like to borrow equipment, and they're sensible but they're farmers. They break things. I accept that as part of the cost of being in a community. Mostly they'll fix if they break, but how they fix isn't how I'd fix. I just take it to the shop and get it fixed properly, or get the part myself and fix it. Costs me a few hundred dollars a year, but my stuff still works like it should. And I can borrow their stuff, and they help with other things that I sometimes need.

I get it, if I was tight on money I'd be more careful. In that case, I'd mostly loan me and the tractor together, rather than just the machine (and, I usually do that even now when I can).

Horses for courses, but if I don't loan things to people, then they don't loan to me. And old farmers have lots of equipment that I'd never buy myself.

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Looks like a belt-mounted key-chain or phone-carrier may have done it.
Or maybe a knife with a clip in a pocket, but I can't imagine not being aware of doing it. The friend who came over to help doesn't look after his tractor at all, plus his hearing isn't good. He was telling me that he regularly forgets to put the fuel cap back on. No wonder he had to replace the fuel pump at 400 hours.

However it happened, or whoever did it, I'm done saying yes to folks who want to borrow or use things. And I'm definitely not letting anyone use my tractors or even sit in them. It's just not worth the trouble or stress. I'll fix the scratches on the MX because it bothers me to look at them and move on.

Like many here I rarely ask others for help and don't borrow things. Thanks to everyone for letting me rant about this.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Forty years ago, I had just bought a small Poulan chain saw. A friend at work mentioned needing to do a little work at his family farm in east Texas one weekend. So I volunteered my saw, figuring he grew up on a farm so knew how to care for tools. Monday morning, he brought it back and mentioned it was hard to start. That afternoon when I got home, I tried to start it. The rope was about a foot too short. He had broken the starter cord and 'fixed' it.

I'll lend certain tools to certain people, but some tools don't get lent out. My BIL is the only one that borrows my tractor, and, so far, only to dig pet graves. I watch people, and it they don't respect the few tools they have, they don't borrow mine. And if I have to ask for their return, no more loans.

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Great thread @mcmxi !
If a friend or family wants to borrow something, I generally go with it and do the work.
As you all know, you kinda have to know if the borrower actually works with their hands...

Reactions: 5 users