Idling vs shutdown and restart

foobert

Equipment
BX2380
Mar 25, 2021
Washington
Tractor is running, but you just stopped to wait for something else and you anticipate it’ll be X minutes until the next movement. What’s your personal threshold time for letting the tractor idle while waiting vs shutting it down and restarting? What’s your rationale for that number?

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I go with 10 minute rule. If it's gonna be longer than 10 min or so, I shut if off.

I will add to your question, about idling. Is "wet stacking" a thing on these little diesel engines? On larger diesels they often set a 'high idle' as to not idle too low and wet stack.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
No Wet Stacking on these machines, that goes way back to the 2 Stroke days..... I do remember them, I think>:D

Reactions: 1 user

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
It would depend on several things. The newer tractors start really easily, so no reason to let idle for more than a few minute like 5. That would work for the newer BXs.

The tractors with common rail engines and dpf filters it is counterproductive to idle them once they have reached operating temperatures. For some people depends on temperature, and whether they are trying to keep an ac running in a cab, but for that need rpm higher than idle. In bitter bitter cold might leave it run.
In tractors with dpf, it is a risk that if you ignore the tractor for too long it will ask to do a regen, and no one will be around to up the rpm to let it regen.

Reactions: 2 users

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
In the winter I will let it idle with the aeat unattended for 5-10 min max depending on the tractor operating temp and the outside temp. In summer I just shut off every time I plan to work out of my seat. If the engine has been worked hard and hot I let it idle a few minutes to cool stuff down safely. Warm engines start easily. Idling is a waste of fuel and engine hours.

If I'm working on the PTO I shut down every time.

Reactions: 6 users

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
In the winter, it is on unless I am fueling it up. More concerned here with the cold on the battery. Newer battery, then less worries. In the warmer months, I leave it idle for no more than 5 min. That covers, moving stuff out of the way, loading wood in the bucket or hooking up a 3pt attachment. The only exception to 3pt work would be for attachments that have a PTO hookup. I'll catch the lower arms on the attachment and shut it off. I'll then connect the PTO shaft and upper link, get back in the seat and start it back up. No emissions on my B3200 or B1800 to worry about.

Mlarv

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 19, 2020
Crossville TN
If I am moving dirt etc and my wife has the XG850 running back and forth to dump it in the spot we want it then I will idle and maybe get the next load ready. If I am jumping on and off to run both of them, thenI shut it down. I pretty much shut it down if I am off of it for more than a few minutes.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Are the new fuel systems a closed loop system? If they are, idling isn’t as much of an issue as there is no over fueling. Regen could be an issue as sheepfarmer pointed out.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I have Diesel on the sawmill as well as both tractors. I try to not let them idle much over 5 minutes. It just seems like a waste plus the unnecessary wear.

shelkol

Equipment
bx-2200, Woods BH6000 backhoe, Tach-N-Go quick attach bucket, snow blower
Nov 12, 2015
Westford, Massachusetts
shelkol.com
A friend of mine, when not using the tractor, moves it to an area away from where he's working and lets it idle to get the mosquitos away from him.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Bark

Equipment
L4701/FM2560LA765/BB2560Pittsburgh disk Titan P forks
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
Having to worry about the dpf filter I don't let it idle unless I have been running it hard. Old habit from old cars and equipment that had to cool off a little or else heat soak would cause engine damage and you had to cool the turbo or it would get toasted. Not sure if these newer machines need a cool off period.

Also I totally agree with what mikester said:
If I'm working on the PTO I shut down every time.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Regarding PTO driveline attachment: On my old 9N that required depressing the clutch and manually engaging the gear-driven PTO... I would let it idle while hooking up the PTO without fear of entanglement. However, with the PTO-clutch engagement of the Kubota I ALWAYS SHUT DOWN WHEN CONNECTING THE PTO.

As for the engine alone: Since I have a non-emissions-controls older model (pre-98) I will let it idle for 5-10 mins because I imagine that is less wear/tear than shut-down/start-up. Longer periods I shut it down.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Are the new fuel systems a closed loop system? If they are, idling isn’t as much of an issue as there is no over fueling. Regen could be an issue as sheepfarmer pointed out.
I am not sure what is meant by a closed loop system, but the L60 series sends fuel in a loop that includes the fuel cooler and back to the tank because of the compression of fuel in the common rail. I don’t know the circuit in the newer B’s and BX’s. Interesting question.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I am not sure what is meant by a closed loop system, but the L60 series sends fuel in a loop that includes the fuel cooler and back to the tank because of the compression of fuel in the common rail. I don’t know the circuit in the newer B’s and BX’s. Interesting question.
What I mean by closed loop is that the computer controls the amount of fuel based on readings from the exhaust O2 sensor.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
I never even contemplated this before. I shutdown to hook up the PTO, shut down to listen to the wife, and shutdown when I make a coffee. Other then that i never really thought of a time to idle except in the winter I let it run to operating temp on the gauge no matter what I’m doing before I shut it off.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
For me I let her warm up 5 to 10 minutes at 1000 rpm's before going to work.

If I'm using it I let it run, off and on to hook up to a log, adjust the top link, potty break, water break, change implements, etc.

If I plan to not use it for about 10 minutes or more then I switch it off, For this time when I crank it the temp gauge returns to normal pretty quick.

L4600 year model 2012 so no emissions to worry about.

I'm not a engine guy but just seems to me letting it idle at 1000 rpm's, low idle for me is 750 just seems it would cause less wear than shutting it down and cranking it every time I'm off and on it. I work alone so in a 10 to 12 hour day on the farm I'm off and on it a lot, 5 minutes off here and there all day.

Be interesting to hear from a diesel engine mechanic what his or her opinion is of this question.

Good day friends.

Jay

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
A friend of mine, when not using the tractor, moves it to an area away from where he's working and lets it idle to get the mosquitos away from him.
And horse flies! They can be terrible here in season if there's a hot vehicle of any kind around. They swarm it!

Borgf15

Equipment
MX5400
Mar 4, 2020
ID
Not sure if these newer machines need a cool off period.
My OM says to let idle for 3-5 min before shutdown to allow the turbo to "slow down." Interesting...not sure if they really meant to say "cool" down or what.

Reactions: 1 users

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I was of the opinion that letting a hot engine idle to cool down was a good idea.

But I wonder if it makes much difference with a thermosiphon system -- no water pump. With the engine shut off, the fan does not pull air through the radiator, but on the other hand, there's no combustion adding heat to the system either.