I want to take the back tires off

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
First off what tractor?
Your gona find out that those tires get REALLLLLLLY heavy when filled :eek: So maybe you might think about them coming out and filling them there, if its on a big tractor.
However, if you want to do it, a set of jackstands under the axel will work. Jack her up and set one on each side close to the tire let it down and take off the tire and wheel.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
A set of sturdy jackstands comes to mind. Not knowing tractor size im just guessing. If it has a loader, lower it after it is blocked as its difficult to jack with bucket on ground. Some good blocking will hold tractor as well, but its more difficult than using stands. If its equipped with backhoe,then bucket and stabilizers should be lowered too. I would never depend on hydraulics to hold up tractor,always use blocking or stands.as Skeets mentioned, having wheels filled on tractor would be easier. Even taking tractor to tire filler would be tons easier.

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I would have to agree with everyone else. Once a set of tires are filled, they really will take the man out of you getting them back on. Let alone, getting them out of the truck after hauling them home from the shop. it's really a two person job installing filled tires along with a good floor jack to do the lifting. One person to balance the tire and another to do the jacking. Much easier to take the whole tractor to someone to get the tires filled if it's feasible.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I would have to agree with everyone else. Once a set of tires are filled, they really will take the man out of you getting them back on. Let alone, getting them out of the truck after hauling them home from the shop. it's really a two person job installing filled tires along with a good floor jack to do the lifting. One person to balance the tire and another to do the jacking. Much easier to take the whole tractor to someone to get the tires filled if it's feasible.
I did it the hard way on a 53 ford, Daren is exactly right along with the others......

have THEM come to you ! OR take it too them (whole tractor)

now....if you own a BX, rears arent that awful bad to pick up - even full of fluid. But once the tire size gets up there....the pain comes with it too!:eek::)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
One thing not mentioned is that when jacking up the tractor it will pivot on the front axle.
Having a loader mounted on it and lowering it will keep it from tipping side to side.
If no loader, jack it up and set it on jack stands, leaving the jack in place, but just snug, as a third point, then remove the tires.
If it's a large tire equipped tractor consider using either another tractors loader or a engine hoist to lift the tire and hold it, they get real heavy when they get off center.

I have seen the aftermath of several owners that have jacked up their tractors in the center, pull a tire off and have the tractor violently flip to the other side, some even coming off the jack and crashing to the ground. :eek:

And like others have said, Sometimes it's just easier and safer to take the whole tractor in and have them load the tires.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I didt not want to mention it, but i knew someone that lost their life due to a filled tire, it was a very large one, but if something goes bad, it happens fast.
Play safe.

Last edited by a moderator:

filix

Mar 23, 2015
arundel
Thanks a lot guys. I really really appreciate it. I thought about the weight. I'm very new at this. That's why I ask questions. Glad your here to help me. I wouldn't want to hurt myself or my tractor. B7800.

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
L3901, with not enough attachments
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania
I just did wheel spacers on a L3901 prior to loading the tires. It was a two man job reattaching the tires. I wouldn't do it loaded. many places will do it on-site or you can do it yourself.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
When I jack up something with a lot of space between that something and the ground, I like to build a wood cribbing, out of wood 4 x 4's or 6 x 6's. The wood compresses a little, and holds the item being lifted. As I don't use loader tractors very much, I tend to use wheel weights, they are just easier for me to manage by myself. I would have a tire service come and fill the tires, on site, many farm tire services offer this option. I have handled a set of 18.4 X 34 tires, in my youth that were filled with CaCl3, and don't want to do it again...:D