I wana ask sumthin

DADL3901

Equipment
L3901
Jun 22, 2015
Huntsville, AR
By the time your child realizes his parents are not as stupid as they thought, they probably have a child that thinks they are that stupid!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
By the time your child realizes his parents are not as stupid as they thought, they probably have a child that thinks they are that stupid!
Amen on that statement......

I got three boys - 24-23-19......one day they gonna realize that the ol' man aint as crazy as he seems....... ok - I am - just dont tell 'em!;)

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
I need help. My wife (age 84) and I older yet live by ourselves. We have two freezers in garage jammed full, freezing compartment in fridge hardy will close.

All the cupboards jammed full. Basement is so full of stuff, only aisle left. So, she and her daughters take a bi-weekly trip to Sams, Cosco and Good Will. Comes home with enough stuff to feed the large family that is no longer here.

Kinda interesting to bring a can of Redi-Whip cream out of the fridge with expiration date two yeas back and the darn stuff still seems OK. With that experience, no way to convince her to slow it down. you guys are no help with my problem, but a fix is noted below.

The only saving thing I know about is that I installed a walk-out basement door some time back and that parking the dumpster out in back will be a short walk for the kids some day for basement stuff. One also would best be parked in front of garage for non-basement stuff.

Not funny. A buddy of mine passed on and I had the importunity of operating his blue tractor with loader for two full days. Filled two large dumpsters. Had to throw out a lot of useful stuff, but I had no place for them, nor time to sell anything.

I also had the fun of helping a mother in law when he passed on. It was across the river from NYC and the landfill charge pretty high per ton.
Several truckloads, including wood stoves and steel pipe. He was home-spun doctor making his own medicine. Had a few large jars of acid. The landfill guys got mad when that was dumped, raising clouds of acidic mist as they ate at the garbage there.

SO THE MORAL TO THE STORY IS PREPARE A PLACE FOR THE DUMPSTER.

Last edited:

Corney

Equipment
L1500DT, front end loader, mower, tiller, snow blower
Thank you for that perspective on life!

At the age your wife and you are at I can only imagine the times you have been through.

I am sure that you children appreciate your plan!

My Grandparents were your age when they past away about ten years ago. They lived of a farm and we had the advantage to have a really big fire!

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
My mom moved back to the neighbourhood after being away 25 years. She doesent want to ask for help, saying she doesent want to be a burden. I asked why she moved back then?
Mom needs help, i get that. Funny i was the good for nothin so and so in my youth, now helping mom whenever she need it.
Its ok, freezer full of goodies and refreshments of whatever i want.

All i ask is that she doesent saddle us with a bunch of stuff nobody needs. 7 shovels,5 rakes 2 push mowers and various other things none of us need.
Mom is cool with that. Gave mowers away, best one to neighbor, who now mows moms lawn. Bonus.
From many years of always being prepared to preparing for something much different. Almost 84 and still driving.
Myself and my wife are the nearest to mom,my dear wife helps with all kinds of things. Visit twice a week.
Did i mention we never even spoke for 15 years?
Im over it.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
cerlawson,

Having cleaned out two parents homes after their passing, I know the stress.

I remember cleaning out my dad's garage in CA before they moved. We had a dumpster and started filling it up. My dad came back from the dumpster with a 100' spool of number ten ground wire. Of course it was useful but we had to part with it. I thought of him yesterday, when I passed a similar spool in my workshop.

When my mother-in-law had a heart attack in S.C. my wife headed out to help. Two months later, she was back as her dad was feeling poorly. A week later, he passed and the entire task of the funeral, going through the house, sorting and getting rid of stuff fell on her. It took two months but she got the house ready, had an auction selling box "lots" of stuff, including both of their cars. The house sold the next week. She lost 26 lbs and half of her hair from the stress. The auction staff and preparation made it much easier.

Just went to an "estate sale" last week in Carefree. Entire house was tagged and priced by the auction company and it was pretty picked over by the final day. They made quite a bit of money and split it with the family. Much less stress.

That said, I am going through stuff this winter to pare down.

I swear.

:)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I just hope that when I die!
My wife doesn't sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them :eek:
And really I want to live long enough to be a burden to society :D