I wana ask sumthin

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I buy TP buy the case. 96 rolls, I think. Use them in my Frantz oil filters.

I don't have just a stock pile of foods, I have a stockpile of everything I might EVER need according to my wife!

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
put up 24 quarts of salsa, 60 quarts of chunked tomato's, 49 quart's of tomato sauce - that is just tomatoes. Three freezers. 1 walk in pantry and 1 48" in the kitchen. paper products and other "stuff" in a 8' x 10' closet. 125 gal tank of drinking water. amo ;), 550 gal of heating oil (enough for 1 1/2 yrs), 200 gal diesel, 4 yrs worth of wood (using wood heating only) . . . .

:eek: Shi*! I have to run to the store for a snickers bar - talk later.:mad:

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
My wife and I grow many of the veggies that we need and she cans what we need for the year. Since the kids are all grown and have left home we are really growing more veggies than we can consume in a year. We really don't want to down size the garden so we have started donating our excess crops to the local food bank. We also have a big chest freezer in the garage that has a lot of meat in it. We are trying to get away from relying on the freezer to store meat so we are making jerky and canning some meat too.

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Wait...what?

Doesn't EVERYBODY live that way? Well, except for city-dwelling knuckleheads that think all food comes from the store.

Grew, butchered and froze 4 dozen chickens this summer. Do that every year.

Got six lambs in the pasture with and an appointment at the end of this month that will put at least one and probably two of them in my freezer. Rest will be sold/swapped.

Maters, Taters, carrots, and beets from the garden in various types of storage. (Dang rabbits got all my beans...)

Pantry is 12 feet long and has floor-to-ceiling shelves full of canned goods and other staples on both sides. We go grocery shopping once a month and always buy extras to keep the pantry topped off.

Whole house generator and 250 gallon pig full of propane just for the genny. Another one full of propane for the stove. 200-ish gallons of diesel for the tractors. Two-plus winters worth of firewood split and stacked under cover.

Bring it...:)

Edit to add:

I used to have quite a stash of ammo and devices to dispense it with. But there was this unfortunate boating accident...

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I used to have quite a stash of ammo and devices to dispense it with. But there was this unfortunate boating accident...

Yeah what he said,,,,thats my story and Im stickin to it :D

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
What's ammo?

I have a selection of freeze dried Mountain House yummies from these guys. Great company and low shipping costs.

http://beprepared.com/

Having a little freeze dried stuff that last 25 years is a handy back-up. Four months of food in #10 cans will fit under a king sized bed.

I also got into packing my own beans away in 5 gallon buckets lined with Mylar and sealed with oxygen depleters. One grilled rabbit, seasoned with Lawry's and pinto or black beans makes a pretty delicious meal if the grocery store is "temporarily" out of business.

Its all insurance.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Wife and I were at a friend's pot luck a few years ago. My wife brought home made ice cream. She'd go to the local dairy and get fresh milk, use the cream to cook up a custard then use that to freeze into ice cream.

She was telling another person her recipe. Apparently a couple of "younger" folks heard them talking. In line to get a plate of food, I heard one tell the other, "Don't get any of that ice cream. It's made from cow's milk!"

This is the reason only "old" folks do as described in this thread. Younger generation sees everything on TV in a box, can or pill. Consume them and all will be good, nothing else required. Have no idea where it comes from, how it got in the box, can or pill, and don't care. Why would you have/store something you don't need, just go to the store and get it? So why do all that WORK?

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
My daughter, who used to have a pretty good brain in her head, showed up this Spring with her baby boy, and he was wearing a necklace.

My wife inquired as to what the necklace was for. Rolling her eyes as if educating and old fart was too much trouble, she proceeded to tell my wife that the necklace warded off the whooping cough that was going around. If my wife knew anything about the internet she'd know. It was on all the kiddy blog sites. God help my wife should she say anything against what the "experts" on the internet say.

ARFKM?

This is the kind of herd mentality social media and the 'Net has created.

My son-in-law, on the day my grandson was born, had the abject ignorance to tell me that because of the complications associated with births these days, in 5-10 years, no kids are going to be born outside of hospital neo-natal units.

Really?

No more kids born in farmhouses? In fields? The old methods are just kaput now eh? Tell that to any pregnant mom in the third world. Last I checked, the population rate there was still positive.

(sigh)

Humblebub

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX 2370 with MMW, FEL and snow blower
My three grand children were born at home with a professional mid wife present. Three very healthy kids. Australia has a progressive home birth support system that we could learn from. I was not a fan of this due to spending my entire life in the NA mind set. I was wrong.

dandeman

Equipment
BX2230, LA211 FEL, RCK60B Mower, GCK60BX Bagger; Ford 4000, bush hog, blade, etc
Aug 9, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
www.dan-de-man.net
Two food pantries, two refrigerators, one in kitchen and one in basement.

Unfinished, but heavily insulated basement to store extra bulk supplies of lots of stuff, wood shop area, metal shop area, electrical shop area, do my own car repairs in a warm and dry in basement with on grade garage entrance door. I call the basement my adult play room. :D:D

Course two tractors.. umm well three if I count the really old one (set up in long term storage), that I might eventually use.

Two wood stoves, one upstairs, other in basement. Enough land to have more fire wood than I can use... 3 welders to make stuff.

Detached garage, so cars, tractors, etc. not stored out in the weather.. Makes them last a lot longer..

Did I tell you about my 2000 4Runner 4x4?? Only 15 years old, but still seems (and looks) new to me... just broke in good... :)

Grew up rather poor, but learned from my Dad, to get a lot of needed things, build it.. He built the house I grew up in. Wife & I were the general contractors for the house we live in, did a lot of the construction work ourselves..

Just recarpeted about 2/3's of the house and we did all the painting, restaining trim, re-spraying ceilings and other prep work.. Got snooty question from relative as to why we were doing so much work ourselves, as opposed to hiring it out (umm can't you afford to hire it out?) . I said "Because We Can" i.e. have the skill to do it ourselves.

clay45

Equipment
L2050DT, TSC 5ft Rake, Tartar 5ft rototiller, TSC Middlebuster, TSC CarryAll
Feb 6, 2015
SC
.. Got snooty question from relative as to why we were doing so much work ourselves, as opposed to hiring it out (umm can't you afford to hire it out?) . I said "Because We Can" i.e. have the skill to do it ourselves.
I used that same line or said " I'm fortunate enough to know how."

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Sorry to de-rail this excellent thread...

I am standing in line at the post office yesterday and the two ladies in front of me are talking about social media and kids today. One of the ladies has a daughter who teaches at John's Hopkins. The daughter has noticed the same thing we are seeing.

The kids coming out of this prestigious school equipped with a doctoral degree are completely ill-equipped for life because they have almost zero life experience upon which to make decisions. Few of them know how to comparison shop, buy a car, or buy a home, not that many want to undertake the long-term commitment to the latter.

Nobody ever taught them the basics. Somehow, they skated through life, insulated from these opportunities to learn. Basic budgeting is tough for many of these kids, now on their own. After putting their future on "plastic," many are doing the same with basic life needs and credit cards are getting loaded up.

One of the big reasons home ownership among millennials is so low is because of the huge student debt load these kids are shouldering after graduation. Most graduates have student debt north of $80k and they will spend over a decade and a half paying off this debt. While not being able to afford the mortgage right after college, the sting of such a long financial commitment sours them to future commitments, like homes or even automobiles today.

The long-term effects on our society may be profound. And the truly sad thing is, any of the degrees these kids were sold on by the colleges are not degrees you can actually find work in. Those that find work discover their income at or below minimum wage jobs for the first year or two.

How long can this go on?

Corney

Equipment
L1500DT, front end loader, mower, tiller, snow blower
We are new to this garden and canning process. We grew a box garden for salads, fresh veggies and herbs. Turned out great.

My bride has taken up canning and freezing food.

We planted apple trees, plums, pears, cherries, Saskatoons and raspberries on our two acres. That will take awhile to amount to anything but it will some day.

Attachments

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
I do the same thing I repurpose everything I can , fix things rather than buy a new one if possible. I fill the freezer with dove , quail, deer, wild hogs antelope and elk process all game myself I can vegetables that are grown here at the ranch .I don't pay to have anything done that I can do myself and I'll try most any project. My parents also lived when times were tough and those days will come again and a few of us will be able to survive. Thanks mom and dad for raising me the right way.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Anybody tried one of those freeze-dryer machines? They are advertising them a lot out here but I thought freeze drying was different from "drying." Sounds too good to be true.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Freeze drying is an interesting process. You freeze the item, change the pressure of the enclosure then change temperature. At certain pressures & temperatures the water will go from ice (solid) to steam (vapor) without going through the liquid (water) stage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
The advert claims 25 year storage life (like commercial freeze drying) out of home made stews, veggies, you name it. Sounds like a complex operation for a "microwave-sized" machine. Then, after the operation, you still have to can the item to ensure shelf life. Commercially prepared freeze dried food only lasts about 7-10 years in foil bags.

Sounds like more trouble than its worth.