I need help deciding on which tractor is best for my needs

99LS1SS

Oct 7, 2014
North Carolina
Here are my requirements, desires and my situation for a tractor.

4WD
Front loader
Backhoe
Prefer HST but will entertain other types of transmissions if the price mandates
I need a brush cutter capable of cutting 2" saplings.
My budget for a tractor is right at $40K (I prefer not to buy a used tractor)

I have a 10 acre lot. It is roughly 70% wooded with a 1/2-3/4 acre pond on it that is really overgrown on one side. To my knowledge, this lot has never been lived on and has only had about 2.5 acres farmed at some point. In the next year or two, my wife and I want to build a house on the land. This will require clearing a section of trees to make room for the house and yard. I also want to clear a path from the house to the pond that will allow us to see the pond from the house.

Early on in the tractor's life it will be spending a lot of time in and around the woods dragging felled trees out, digging up stumps, cleaning up the banks of the pond, clearing brush along the treeline, clearing patches of greenbrier and bush hogging the field. There will be various other chores but, those are the main ones for the immediate future.

I want to know what is the best tractor I can get that will handle the jobs listed above that will have everything I need for right around $40K. I want something that will work hard and last.

I've never purchased a tractor before so it is safe to assume that I don't know a lot of the particulars about what I do and don't need in a tractor.

As it stands right now I'm considering the L4060 and the L39. Both are comparable in price. The L4060 has more comfort features and the L39 has a higher capacity hydraulic system.

Thanks for any input and advice.

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
For what you want to do weight is everything. Buy the heaviest, most hosrpower,and the easiest to change from backhoe to three ppoint that you can afford . Keep in mind that with all the above the physical size of the machine also is bigger. If you are working in dense woods size can be an issue. HST to me is the way to go but I know some prefer gears. One thing about a Kubota of all sizes , they will ALWAYS do more than what you would think, they are work horses for sure.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Also get the FEL 3rd function with it and at least one rear remote ( I would do two ),
Front FEL 3rd function is for a brush grapple, indispensable when dealing with trees and brush clean-up.
Rear remotes will let you control things like a top and tilt kit or an adjustable blade, which you will want soon. ;)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Here are my requirements, desires and my situation for a tractor.

4WD
Front loader
Backhoe
Prefer HST but will entertain other types of transmissions if the price mandates
I need a brush cutter capable of cutting 2" saplings.
My budget for a tractor is right at $40K (I prefer not to buy a used tractor)

I have a 10 acre lot. It is roughly 70% wooded with a 1/2-3/4 acre pond on it that is really overgrown on one side. To my knowledge, this lot has never been lived on and has only had about 2.5 acres farmed at some point. In the next year or two, my wife and I want to build a house on the land. This will require clearing a section of trees to make room for the house and yard. I also want to clear a path from the house to the pond that will allow us to see the pond from the house.

Early on in the tractor's life it will be spending a lot of time in and around the woods dragging felled trees out, digging up stumps, cleaning up the banks of the pond, clearing brush along the treeline, clearing patches of greenbrier and bush hogging the field. There will be various other chores but, those are the main ones for the immediate future.

I want to know what is the best tractor I can get that will handle the jobs listed above that will have everything I need for right around $40K. I want something that will work hard and last.

I've never purchased a tractor before so it is safe to assume that I don't know a lot of the particulars about what I do and don't need in a tractor.

As it stands right now I'm considering the L4060 and the L39. Both are comparable in price. The L4060 has more comfort features and the L39 has a higher capacity hydraulic system.

Thanks for any input and advice.
Both guys are spot on with their advice.....

do you research - ask the dealer to put things in a package deal - get fluid in the tires, a tooth bar, grapple etc, if you are borrowing the money - spend every last $$$$ up to the 40k - cause at 0% it is hard to beat.

Narrow down your choices and report back, I am still leary of the Tier4 machines, dont own one, but if I was you, I would find the hst and a tier3 if at all possible.

my two pennies worth

Joe88340

Equipment
BX 2660 M7040
Oct 7, 2014
Mt morris pa
I agree hst all the way. I was a against the hst but borrowed my friends b3200 and now I'm sold. Load the tires and get most hp you can get.

99LS1SS

Oct 7, 2014
North Carolina
I believe I have narrowed my choice down to the L4060HST with the LA805 loader and a 5' rotary mower. I am considering a 3rd function valve for the loader and 2 remote hydraulic valves for the rear.

As it stands right now, I'm starting to back away from the backhoe. A couple of people have told me that unless I use it a lot it won't be worth the money. If I don't get the backhoe, it will free up about $8500 for implements. That's a decent chunk of money. If I don't get the backhoe I will likely get a box scrape, a wood splitter and something to drag trees out of the woods with.

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
I believe I have narrowed my choice down to the L4060HST with the LA805 loader and a 5' rotary mower. I am considering a 3rd function valve for the loader and 2 remote hydraulic valves for the rear.

As it stands right now, I'm starting to back away from the backhoe. A couple of people have told me that unless I use it a lot it won't be worth the money. If I don't get the backhoe, it will free up about $8500 for implements. That's a decent chunk of money. If I don't get the backhoe I will likely get a box scrape, a wood splitter and something to drag trees out of the woods with.
For tree removal a backhoe is a must. Dig out around the stump , and push it over . Trees that are already cut , you're going to need the how to fig it out. Stumps come out hard ! Digging drainage ditches , clearing bigger brush , I could go on and on. Go with the backhoe , you won't regret it.

99LS1SS

Oct 7, 2014
North Carolina
To backhoe or not to backhoe...that is the (stressful) question.

How do I gauge whether or not I need a backhoe? I'm going to estimate that there will be at least 30-40 trees cut down that will need to be addressed. When I think about that it seems like a backhoe would be worth the cost. I don't know. I'm officially confused on the backhoe topic. I think about the money saved by not getting one but I can see me regretting it if I don't.

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
NC - woods => make sure you get AG tires and 4x4.

IMO, from things I've learned from my first tractor....

4x4
HST
AG tires - rears set all the way out
All 4 tires filled
Rear wheel weights
Rear remotes
Rear wheel spacers
Top & Tilt set up
I would avoid the '14 models with Tier4 crap like the aids.

For the price you'd pay for the Kubota backhoe you could buy a used real backhoe that would have a lot more reach and power. There's no way I'd pay that for the kubota backhoe.

Box Blade, rotary cutter, get HEAVY DUTY built implements (not just branded HD). I bought "light/medium duty" Rotary cutter and it's beat up in just over a year. I bought a Woods BSM72 box blade and it's a brute. Don't waste money on implements at tractor supply or what most tractor dealers keep "in stock".

Take the front end loader off anytime you are on slopes, it decreases side slope stability drastically.

Get the heaviest, widest tractor you can afford.

Last edited:

Joe88340

Equipment
BX 2660 M7040
Oct 7, 2014
Mt morris pa
I think I'd pass on the backhoe for 8500 you could rent an small excavator for not much money for a couple days and still be ahead. Also I'd pass on 3rd fun ti on valve. And run hoses from rear remotes to the front much cheaper.

Ezlife45

Equipment
B2650
Jun 5, 2014
Louisiana
For the size tractors you are talking about you can easily trim your stumps down to just a few inches above the ground your tractor will serve you well. For the extra money you save on a backhoe, you could probably buy most of the implements you want.

Weight is your friend, 4WD is great. Check the loader capacities of both machines and the 3 pt capacities. I would probably buck the system and say I would go with the highest weight and capacity even if it is the smaller HP. I definitely recommend the front 3rd function valve and adding hydraulics on the rear can be nice. On implements your machine may be able to handle more than a 5' blade I'd pick the beefiest and heaviest one you can find. Look at the build of the cutter, gearbox, warranty etc. My bush hog cutter has a 5 year warranty, built much nicer than a Tractor Supply machine. Shop long and hard for a grapple, there are many out there. I have a machine probably close to half the size of what you're talking about and it's a beast. Consider weight of the grapple when you start shopping, there are plenty out there. If your machine can get the skid steer quick attach system, get it. You'll love going from a bucket to pallet forks in 2 minutes. A grapple only takes seconds more cause you need to connect the two hoses.

DanDan

Equipment
BX1860, L2600DT
Sep 21, 2012
SoCal
To backhoe or not to backhoe...that is the (stressful) question.

How do I gauge whether or not I need a backhoe? ...
Lots of tree removals means lots of stump removals ?
Around here a mini excavator rents for about $200-250/day. Plus, you have to figure time and travel invested to go fetch said rental.

For the tree stumps, you could probably figure on setting aside time and just doing as many as possible in one fell swoop.

For lots of other digging projects, sometimes they just pop up. Having the backhoe right there could make the difference between finishing a project, and still wanting to start it.

~guy without a backhoe

djm1204

Equipment
L4600 HST, FEL, Root Rake, Land Pride Grapple, Two way radio
Aug 11, 2014
Dunnellon, FL, USA
Several dealers have told me to skip the back hoe - that the few times I may need it - I would be much better of renting one.

OK Ezlife - may I ask which grapple you went with - trying to research and decide which one is best for me - get the opinion from people who already have them.

Thanks

Dan

99LS1SS

Oct 7, 2014
North Carolina
Several dealers have told me to skip the back hoe - that the few times I may need it - I would be much better of renting one.

Dan
I've had a guy that does construction for a living and one dealer tell me not to get a backhoe because the amount of time I use it wouldn't justify the cost. I had another dealer tell me that I should get it and sell it when I'm done. I can see both sides. I'm going to have them put it as a line item on the quote. I'm still on the fence on whether to get it or not but I'm leaning towards not getting it.

My second concern behind the backhoe is which tires I should get. I feel like I would be better off with the R1 tires given their improved traction over the R4 tires. Normally I'm alert and aware of my immediate surroundings so I think (hope) I would be alert enough to not puncture a R1 in the woods.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
No doubt good advice by many knowledgeable people and I "believe" the difference is because essentially anything you buy is going to be a "compromise". A big, heavy M Series will be ideal initially then a mid size CUT will be great after the "heavy" work is done.

We are lucky enough to have several different tractors now, but in the past had to use a compromise tractor due to funds, so I can sure empathize.

Initially when we were building home sites and doing a lot of work in our woods, we bought an old Case backhoe and tractor, fixed them up, my brother is a mechanic, and when the backhoe work was done parked it and now rent an excavator when needed. We still have and use the old Case 995 tractor and use it on one of our farms. If you can, buying, using then selling a good used backhoe can be a pretty attractive option. You might even consider hiring a dozer and operator for a few days. My son in law is not a tractor guy and lives too far to transport our equipment, so he did this when he negotiated a deal with someone who could work him in when he had a job in the area. He got by much cheaper than anything I could think of, quicker too.

My primary tractors now on the farms here I live are an L5740 and M8540 and one is ideal in certain situations and in others just the opposite; either would be an "OK" all around tractor.

No easy answers, sorry.

I LOVE the Grand L, but an MX51/5200 will do pretty much anything the GL will until you get to the higher HP then not a lot of difference and significantly cheaper.

I am a big fan of three rer remotes with Top and Tilt with at least one float mode and recently added the third function and grapple, should have done it long ago. We do run the grapple on our M8540 off the rear remote, but it's a pain wen we have our Land Pride HR3584 on as the rear remotes are needed for it as always, just not enough $$$$ to go around.

As to R4 or R1, again a compromise, we've had four flats on our M8540 with R1 and none on the L5740 with R4, but mud will stop the R4 while the R1 just keeps going.

Sorry, I've probably only muddied the waters, good luck in your decisions.

99LS1SS

Oct 7, 2014
North Carolina
I LOVE the Grand L, but an MX51/5200 will do pretty much anything the GL will until you get to the higher HP then not a lot of difference and significantly cheaper.
What do you like about your Grand L? I'm struggling a little between getting a Grand L4060 or a MX4700/MX4800/MX5100/MX5200. I like the features and comfort of the Grand L series but I don't know if it's worth the extra money and loss of power.

As to R4 or R1, again a compromise, we've had four flats on our M8540 with R1 and none on the L5740 with R4, but mud will stop the R4 while the R1 just keeps going.
What were you doing when you got the flat tires? Are the R1's easy to puncture or did you just have bad luck?

Sorry, I've probably only muddied the waters, good luck in your decisions.
You couldn't have muddied them anymore than they already were. Thanks for you input.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
What do you like about your Grand L? I'm struggling a little between getting a Grand L4060 or a MX4700/MX4800/MX5100/MX5200. I like the features and comfort of the Grand L series but I don't know if it's worth the extra money and loss of power.

The HST+ is a real advantage, I had the L5030 with the regular HST and could not imagine how much nicer the six vs three speeds was along with auto throttle etc., however, while nice is certainly not necessary. I like the controls, seat, adjustable steering wheel and over all comfort. But looking at it from a purely practical standpoint, if you are going open station, it is hard to beat the MX, I have to have a cab due to allergies and age, so in my case the "niceties, are in reality "necessities".

What were you doing when you got the flat tires? Are the R1's easy to puncture or did you just have bad luck?

Bush hogging, so a bit of both, the R4s have a bit more protection, the last one was when a piece of metal was thrown out from the cutter and hit between the lugs, it would not have punctured the R4. R1s are certainly not flat prone, but just a bit more vulnerable, in my experience than R4s; down side is traction, so R1 may work better in some instances and R4 better in another. All CUTs in my area use R4 while al UT and Ag go R1.

You couldn't have muddied them anymore than they already were. Thanks for you input.
I hope not, it is just a really hard decision to make for the as well as experienced user as well.

wldbil3

Equipment
BX2670, FEL, 60"MMM, Mule 610, LPGS1548, 6" Back Blade
Sep 24, 2014
Mantua, OH
I'm new to this site and can't say that I'm an expert on Kubota tractors - I'm actually looking into buying a new BX series this year. I can, however, weigh in on your backhoe dilemma.

About 15 years ago, I bought 12 acres of land (part of which had been logged out) for a dirt cheap price - of course it was a mess with all the scrap wood left behind and stumps that needed dug out. I bought a used tractor with a loader and backhoe to help clear out 5 acres so my wife and I could build our house.

I took me 2 years to clear it out (I dug out hundreds of stumps) and I can say that in those first two years, the backhoe was invaluable - I would not have wanted to rent one every time I needed it. That being said, after we built the house and I dug all the ditches and drains I needed, I sold the tractor and bought a lawnmower. Never really needed the backhoe again - my only regret is I should have bought a BX series at that point instead of going with the disposable Home Depot type mowers (I've gone through 3 of them in 12 years).

Not sure if this helps you or not, but I just know from my experience, it would have been very difficult to "stage" the projects so I could make the most use of a rental - it was much easier to clear a small area then dig a few stumps, clear another area then dig a few more stumps.

Ezlife45

Equipment
B2650
Jun 5, 2014
Louisiana
Ezlife - may I ask which grapple you went with - trying to research and decide which one is best for me - get the opinion from people who already have them.

Thanks

Dan
Keep in mind I only have a B2650 with about 1000 lbs of lift capacity at the front pins. I bought the 50" lightweight grapple from Everything Attachments. It weighs about 270 lbs. Should weigh close to my bucket. If I had a much bigger tractor I would have gotten a larger one. It's been a good tool for me so far.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
If you truly plan to do a lot of backhoe work in the next few years, I'd buy an older full size Case/Ford/JD backhoe and then sell it when you're done with the rough work. You'll get way better capability for the money compared to a BH attachment.