I have a L345DT that lost its power steering.

ed58

Jul 15, 2017
Thompson sta. Tn. US
Our local mechanic said he put hydraulic oil in the reservoir and it drain out, said it would need a new pump and would cost 2grand to repair it. I said no way. I brought it and drained all the oil and cleaned the filter. Not cleaned in 25 years. Took the pump off and took it apart. Notice the spline or shaft would only turn 1/4 turn I took it to a machine shop and they said it had a bur on it and ground it smooth. I put it back together. I took the loader off the tractor so it was easier to work on. I caped off the two lines comeing from the pto that supplied the hydraulics for the loader.I put some oil in the power steering reservoir and about 5 gallen in the transfer case. I started the tractor and ran a few minutes, to check for leaks. The power steering reservoir blew apart and hydraulic oil went everywhere. What do I do now?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
I caped off the two lines comeing from the pto that supplied the hydraulics for the loader........
By the sounds of it you blocked OFF the main flow from the pump and it had nowhere to go and directed it all through the power steering! This is going to be fun! So I'd guess the steering priority valve is cactus for a start, possible damage to pump/lines PS valve/controller and components? That is if it's the same hydraulic system on this tractor? And if it's the same pump or joined pump, if it was capped, it may have blown through the pump internally.
If it's a totally separate pump and hydraulic circuit then for some reason pressure has got into the return side by the sounds of it.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yep you did what they call dead heading the system.
You can not cap lines you have to keep a loop to let the system flow.
First try looping the hydraulic lines for the loader and see if it's still damaged.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
On a L345 the power steering was an option and had its own pump, reservoir and steering unit. The ps pump is located at the back of the main hydraulic pump. The ps reservoir should never be pressurized. Even if the ps unit leaked internally the fluid would just flow back to the reservoir to be sent around again by the ps pump. It sounds like some part of your ps system was (is) seriously mis-connected.

After all that is straightened out, you'll be back to figuring out the leak that "drained out" your ps. The L345 power steering box bottom plug can develop a leak that can drain its reservoir into the clutch housing and out the bottom drain in a couple days. thread here

Last edited:

ed58

Jul 15, 2017
Thompson sta. Tn. US
I think your correct the oil went clutch housing how ever it was quiter than a couple of days. How do I get to that plug take the steering block off? I'm trying to find a WSM for the tractor but don't want to pay $300 for it.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
I think your correct the oil went clutch housing how ever it was quiter than a couple of days. How do I get to that plug take the steering block off? I'm trying to find a WSM for the tractor but don't want to pay $300 for it.
The online parts list drawings are a good source of info. Also refer to the pics and posts in the OTT thread linked above

To take the steering unit off:
-take off the steering wheel (might need to rig up a puller)
-unbolt the dash panel and swing it away
-unscrew the hour meter cable
-drain the fuel tank - disconnect fuel hose
-unbolt the body - lay it over the engine
-unbolt the fuel tank from its supports & lift it up & off
-disconnect the long steering rod from the pitman arm
-disconnect the steering oil pipes
-take off the fuel tank supports etc
-take out remaining bolts holding steering box & lift off

When you turn the box over you'll see whether the bottom plug's snap ring is fully seated, and whether the iron around it is still good. Mine was leaking there. If the leak is serious it could empty the reservoir in a few hours. Good luck, Dick B

Last edited: