I got WOOD ( for the wood stove) ya perverts

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
A Friend called for help, we had some high wind on the ridge tops a few days ago, and a couple trees fell across his fence lines, the sheep dont care theres to much grass out in the big fields so thats not the worry,, but ya never know. Anyway I started cutting, and cutting and cutting, those damned ash trees are hard!
5 hours 3 chains and one tree done still be loaded up and brought home. and there is 2 more BIG ash trees to go,,,,

I want to know when those hills got so damned much steeper, and that saw got so much damned heaver.
Talk about shoulders hurting and places I forgot I had hurt too.

So to mix up some more gas, chains resharpened, and oil jugs filled, a bottle of Alive and a cooler of water. Ear muffs and the enthusiasm of an 18 year old kid to show wants to show off his stuff! T
he only thing to hamper that, is an old worn out body.
Enjoy the day, boys and girls, for there shall never be another like it

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Take care skeets, it is a beautiful day! My saw is being serviced in case needed, but I decided a long time ago that chain saws were beyond the strength of my hands and shoulders, darn it, there are a lot of dead ashes around here. One fell on my sheep pasture fence last week.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Skeets, you think Ash wood is hard, try an Osage Orange. It's like concrete, especially after it ages a few years. It will send sparks from the chain after several years. Farmers would cut post, and for some reason not use them right away leaving them stacked in field somewhere. Years latter you can't drive a staple in them without finding some sort of crack to get the staple started. Many folks won't even attempt to cut them up for firewood.

http://osageorange.com/index.html

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/silvics_manual/volume_2/maclura/pomifera.htm

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
sheepfarmer,,, a nice small saw with a good sharp chain cuts like butter, you just have to figure out how to let the saw do most of the work. Cut the chunks small enough and rollem into your bucket,, you got it made :D

Never fooled with Osage orange trees,, but I have cut a bunch of locust trees and like the OO trees they will dull a sharp chain in a heart beat, and yeah sparks:eek:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Skeets, you think Ash wood is hard, try an Osage Orange. It's like concrete, especially after it ages a few years. It will send sparks from the chain after several years.
Black locus will do the same thing.....hard as the dicken's and spark makin' too!

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
And will melt most lesser quality wood stoves into a molten pile on your living room floor:eek:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I have a wood stove that is made of 1/4" plate, then has a 1/4" wrapped around that, with about a 2" space between them. With a blower blowing air between the two. Two 1/4" plate doors open to insert fuel. I can put a 34" log in straight back (if I can pick it up).

Once a bed of coals is established, I can put a couple 9-10" diameter by 20" piece of Osage Orange in at 10PM and not even look in until twelve hours later...in any kind of weather. House stays toasty.

A link to all the facts! http://www.wood-database.com/osage-orange/

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Done with wood for now, the 30 or 40 trees we took down are loaded and gone. Mini excavator with thumb made light work and cleanup was a snap.
Had a tandem dump trailer that made unloading so easy.
Neighbour is happy no trees will fall on his not yet replaced garage.

Stumps dug out and gone too.

Ash is heavy, and a lot of work. Then the wait until its dry enough. Split and stack bark down (sheds water better) and its a great wood for heat.

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Used to love ash for the wood fired arch when we sugared. But boy what a bugger to split in the winter :) When it's good, green and frozen it turns into a projectile when running it through a wood splitter :eek:

After the first couple pieces, dad and I got smart. We blocked up the splitter so it would throw the wood into the back of the truck for us :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
Used to love ash for the wood fired arch when we sugared. But boy what a bugger to split in the winter :) When it's good, green and frozen it turns into a projectile when running it through a wood splitter :eek:

After the first couple pieces, dad and I got smart. We blocked up the splitter so it would throw the wood into the back of the truck for us :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We always used an axe. Stand up all the blocks and whack away. Used the young ones to pick up pieces. Did a cord in very short order.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
So i have this big tree in my yard, outside my shop. Customer is askin how long it has been dead. Seemed interested in it. Hmmm....he offered to take it away and clean up the mess. I offered to load it if he takes it before excavator leaves.