Hydraulic Quick attach would not detach

The_Al

Equipment
L3540, Heavy duty FEL, 9' bachoe, Brush hog, 72" grappler
Jul 19, 2013
MA
Hey all,

I have been experiencing an issue re-attaching my grappler, more specifically re-connecting the hydraulic 3rd function quick attach hoses to my L3540. I some times cannot re-attach the hoses, and there is no way that I can see to remove the pressure from the third function when the tractor is off; the button must be depressed and is engaged digitally.

I usually just detach the quick attachment 3rd function at the loader and then attach at the grappler and things work, but today the sucker would not budge. I realized that the grappler was sitting in the sun and was pretty hot.

I moved the tractor into the shade, then I put some ice on the grappler hydraulic connections, and waited about 30 minutes. It seemed to work pretty well.

I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience and suggestions on a better or quicker (safe) method?

Thanks all

Al

I wonder if any

The_Al

Equipment
Jul 19, 2013
MA
Break a line loose. Just be sure to retighten before starting eng/.
The strange thing this was on the attachment end, and after the hoses were detached. Is it typically okay to loosen the lines on the attachment end?

Sorry for the newbie question

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
You should always be able to release pressure on the tractor side. Turn the key on, just don't start the tractor. Push the button, all pressure should be released. If you have a diverter and not the true 3rd function, then with the button pushed, move the joystick through all the motions, pressure should be released. You may have to crack a line open on the implement hoses to release that pressure.

Good luck in the future. ;)

rk1475

Equipment
L3800HST,FEL,WT Box, R4 Tires, WR Long Grappler, Landpride Brush Hog, Snow Plow
Feb 25, 2013
Brimfield,ma,USA
Hey all,

I have been experiencing an issue re-attaching my grappler, more specifically re-connecting the hydraulic 3rd function quick attach hoses to my L3540. I some times cannot re-attach the hoses, and there is no way that I can see to remove the pressure from the third function when the tractor is off; the button must be depressed and is engaged digitally.

I usually just detach the quick attachment 3rd function at the loader and then attach at the grappler and things work, but today the sucker would not budge. I realized that the grappler was sitting in the sun and was pretty hot.

I moved the tractor into the shade, then I put some ice on the grappler hydraulic connections, and waited about 30 minutes. It seemed to work pretty well.

I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience and suggestions on a better or quicker (safe) method?

Thanks all

Al

I wonder if any
I have a WR Long Grappler and had the same problem. My dealer contacted the manufacturer and they gave the following procedure which works great:

1 Before shutting off the tractor raise the grappler claws about half way up.

2 Shut the tractor off and then turn the key back to the on position ( do not start)

3. Press the butonn that controls the claws and they will slowly close releasing the pressure.

4. Put the ignition back to off position and you should be able to disconnect and reconnect the hoses without having to losen the hose connection.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Replace the quick couplers with the flat face kind (bobcat and other skid steers use them), you can connect them even with pressure on the lines.;)

The_Al

Equipment
Jul 19, 2013
MA
I have a WR Long Grappler and had the same problem. My dealer contacted the manufacturer and they gave the following procedure which works great:

1 Before shutting off the tractor raise the grappler claws about half way up.

2 Shut the tractor off and then turn the key back to the on position ( do not start)

3. Press the butonn that controls the claws and they will slowly close releasing the pressure.

4. Put the ignition back to off position and you should be able to disconnect and reconnect the hoses without having to losen the hose connection.
Very nice. I will try this.

Thanks

jrc0528

Equipment
BX2350
Jan 24, 2012
Ohio
I've had this before when re-attaching the loader on a significantly warmer day than on which I removed it.

Simplest fix I found was a small hammer and brass punch/drift. Insert the drift/punch into the coupler and hold it against the stem inside. Wrap a rag around the coupler and punch, holding everything from OUTSIDE the rag. Give the drift a quick tap with the hammer and you should feel the pressure relieve, if not tap it a little harder. Once relieved you should easily be able to press the valve by hand using the drift.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
The other advantage to flat face quick couplers is they are less prone to leaking. They are easier to couple and uncouple.