Hydraulic problem on L4060 FEL

Johnmcgill

Equipment
2018 L4060 FEL, Backhoe
Dec 22, 2018
Ellington, NY
So, I've got 5.5 hours on my new L4060 HST and the FEL is causing some problems. I had to wonder if anyone else experienced this. Any help would be appreciated. When I took delivery, the machine worked fine, FEL and backhoe worked as they should. the following week, I went to camp started the tractor and went to the woodshed to get a bucket of firewood, the curl functions work as they should, but the raise function only partially works and the lower function doesn't work at all unless i go to float. As for the raise function, it operates when at half lever, but at full lever it stops totally. The lower function will actually raise the bucket about 1/4 inch with each throw of the lever. And will not lower the bucket at all. I was told to unhook all my hydraulic quick connects and re-attach them, which I did, and that made no difference. Any ideas? I'd really like to avoid trailering the machine back to the dealer if at all possible. THANKS!!

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Try swapping the lift and dump lines and see if that changes anything.

Thinking about your issue further, sounds like you might also have the lines crossed, check all connections and orientations.

Johnmcgill

Equipment
2018 L4060 FEL, Backhoe
Dec 22, 2018
Ellington, NY
Thanks for the reply!! The lift and dump functions worked as they should the week before and nothing got changed. This week I disconnected each line and reconnected them one by one. I also tried taking the backhoe out of the loop entirely, all to no avail. Oddly, if I put the joystick in the lower and curl up or the lower and curl down position, the bucket does indeed lower and curl. it just doesn't lower in the lower only position.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
So it's sounding more and more like the controller has something that's either come loose and/or broke.

What FEL do you have?

Last edited:

CobraTom

Equipment
L5030, L3430, L4310, L3410, B3030 , R510 currently..
Sep 19, 2011
Ontario
It is very possible that one of your push/pull rods between your valve and your controller could have come loose (or were loose from dealer install) Typically that is on the controller side so I would pull up the rubber cover and take a look.

Last edited:

Johnmcgill

Equipment
2018 L4060 FEL, Backhoe
Dec 22, 2018
Ellington, NY
UPDATE.... Problem solved!!!

The 3-Point arms (while they appeared totally down), were raised about 1/8". And while I'm not totally sure why, if the 3 point arms are raised at all, the loader hydraulics are affected.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
UPDATE.... Problem solved!!!

The 3-Point arms (while they appeared totally down), were raised about 1/8". And while I'm not totally sure why, if the 3 point arms are raised at all, the loader hydraulics are affected.
I am not sure your problem is solved, but that may be another clue for those that are good at hydraulic systems, which is unfortunately not me. I say this because my 3560 fel works fine regardless of the position of the 3pt hitch. Keep us posted!

Johnmcgill

Equipment
2018 L4060 FEL, Backhoe
Dec 22, 2018
Ellington, NY
Could it be because I also have a backhoe in the hydraulic loop? I'm not sure, but checking the position of the 3 point arms was suggested by a buddy who is more tractor savvy than I. This leads me to believe that there is a direct connection between the position of the 3 point and the operation of the FEL. BUT, you're right, now I need to ask the question how will the FEL perform if there is an implement on the 3 point rather than having the backhoe in the tractor.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
After I clicked send I wondered the same thing. I don't have a backhoe so I'll just keep following til someone else can answer. What does your backhoe manual say?

Johnmcgill

Equipment
2018 L4060 FEL, Backhoe
Dec 22, 2018
Ellington, NY
I don't remember reading anything in the manual about this, but since I have the day off, I may just go back through the manual again. Thanks for the food for thought!!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Another distinct possibility is that the feedback linkage is out of adjustment. ;)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Cool!, OK, but remember you're dealing with a Kubota newbie here though. I don't know what this is, where it is or how to adjust it. Is this something better left to the dealer?
If it's new and in warranty, sure why not, not to say they still won't try and charge you to look at it. :(

If not then get the WSM and get learning about all these fun things, heck I would still get the WSM even if it is still in warranty as it's full of a lot of good info that you will need at some point! :D

EDIT: Sent you a PM for a download of the WSM.

Last edited: