Hydraulic Oil?, Weep hole drip.

chasdg

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Front Loader, Grader Blade, Woods BH 90-X Backhoe, Wood Splitter, Flail Mower
Jul 30, 2016
Chilmark, Ma.
Question:My Kubota is a 2007 L57409HSTC Cab Tractor, I have had a leak of what I believe is hydraulic oil coming out of the clutch
weep hole on the bottom of the tractor. It was quite pronounced the other day when I was going up and down some slightly steep banks and running the PTO. Now today while running it on more level ground it is not leaking in the least, does anybody have any hunches where it is originating? Thanks Chas.

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
What model is your tractor? Hydrostatic or geared?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yea really need to know exact model # to be of any help.

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
I have a customer with a l3240 HSTC doing the same thing. Out of warranty by 1.5 years. He wants help on it. I told him not much I can do as a salesman except get it in and split it and get the Kubota territory service manager involved to see if they will help with the repair costs.

I highly speculate the FWA prop shaft seal is weeping or leaking into the bell housing.

Pat

chasdg

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Front Loader, Grader Blade, Woods BH 90-X Backhoe, Wood Splitter, Flail Mower
Jul 30, 2016
Chilmark, Ma.
L 5740 HST Kubota and it was leaking today after using the three point hitch grading.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yep it's leaking out of the front propeller shaft seal.
If it's under warranty get in touch with your dealer, if it's not, might still be worth a call to find out if there is some other help with the cost of the repair.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
yeah I put a lot of those in over the years. Mostly older ones, L3300/3600/4200 and some of the L-10 and L-30 series. A few L-40's but not many. The tractor has to be split to gain access to it. Lot of labor, parts aren't bad at all. Couple collars, seals, and of course new oil. A few gaskets too for the hydraulic pipes that need to come off. I want to say 12-14 hours assuming it's a non-cabin model, with a loader. They'll hit you with more if they have to remove a rear implement so take it off before you show up at the dealer. You could actually take the loader off too, just leaving the side frames on. I actually liked leaving the loader on, helps stabilize the front half while I roll the rear half away. Some tractors it wasn't possible but if it was, I left them on. The side frames work great to put jack stands under to hold the front half up. It doesn't tilt that way.

I don't really like the way it's designed but I don't design them so don't gripe at me. I would certainly get kubota involved, maybe they'll help, maybe not. There was a bulletin out at one point for some of the grand L's that addressed this exact issue, and there was a warranty extension as I remember. Ask the dealer about it. I don't remember the bulletin number.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The old Ford N-series took care of this the simple way….. they put a cotter in the hole to “jiggle” and keep the hole clear for drainage…. and if/when an oil leak occurred it kept the clutch dry…. OIl was cheap, just add some every 4 or 5 years or so…. :ROFLMAO:

(Like my ‘34 Harley (total-loss oil system)…. a little oil on the roads keeps the dust down.). :p