Hydraulic Maintenance Question

Sparky Prep

Dec 24, 2022
South Florida
So, as many of you might have read, I am soon to get a new Kubota Tractor. I already own a 3 point mounted log splitter that gets power from remotes. The log splitter was given to me by my dad. It is in like-new condition, BUT, it has not been operated in probably 10 years, since my old Ford tractor didn't have remotes. Would it be prudent of me to somehow drain all the old hydraulic fluid from the log splitter, before connecting it to the new tractor and operating, thus mixing 15-20 year old hydraulic fluid with the new fluid in the tractor? Any advice would be appreciated, and thank you in advance.

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
Yes, drain every hose and cylinder, get as much as possible out, as you do not want to mix fluids. Maybe even drain and then rent a Kubota tractor to split a few logs(to get all the old fluid out).

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
So, as many of you might have read, I am soon to get a new Kubota Tractor. I already own a 3 point mounted log splitter that gets power from remotes. The log splitter was given to me by my dad. It is in like-new condition, BUT, it has not been operated in probably 10 years, since my old Ford tractor didn't have remotes. Would it be prudent of me to somehow drain all the old hydraulic fluid from the log splitter, before connecting it to the new tractor and operating, thus mixing 15-20 year old hydraulic fluid with the new fluid in the tractor? Any advice would be appreciated, and thank you in advance.
Purge the cylinder by extending it with the return hose disconnected and you will be good to go.

Powering it off a remote valve is not the best way to hook it into your new tractor..

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm....'sat for 10 years'......

For sure ,if possible, find some other tractor and TEST the logsplitter, before hooking it up to yours. Unless hoses were capped, wasps or spiders probably made their homes in there. At the very least, remove the hoses ,inspect and clean them. Also manually cycle the ram ,several times, to extract as much old oil as possible. You could rig compressed air to gently help purge the cylinder and valve.
The cleaner it is, the less chance of contaminating your tractor's hydraulics.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
hmm....'sat for 10 years'......

For sure ,if possible, find some other tractor and TEST the logsplitter, before hooking it up to yours. Unless hoses were capped, wasps or spiders probably made their homes in there. At the very least, remove the hoses ,inspect and clean them. Also manually cycle the ram ,several times, to extract as much old oil as possible. You could rig compressed air to gently help purge the cylinder and valve.
The cleaner it is, the less chance of contaminating your tractor's hydraulics.
Lets try not to get too far out over the skis..

Its a 3pt splitter. Presumably it has hoses with quick connects on it. No spiders or wasps getting in. Typical 4x24 cylinder holds just about one gallon of hydraulic oil , hoses and valve another pint. Take the coupler off the return line, extend the cylinder, and there wont be much more than a cup of residual oil in the system. Thats nothing when hooked up to a tractor that holds 10.6 gallons.

Dan

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Yes, drain every hose and cylinder, get as much as possible out, as you do not want to mix fluids. Maybe even drain and then rent a Kubota tractor to split a few logs(to get all the old fluid out).
Now that's a good solution. You don't want the old hyd oil in your Kubota, but it's OK to rent a machine and put it in there. Your character is being displayed!!

Southern Smoke

Lifetime Member

Equipment
'22 Kubota L2501 HSD/ Loader, Tiller, BushHog, Box Blade, Forks
Jul 18, 2022
Loxley, Alabama
Now that's a good solution. You don't want the old hyd oil in your Kubota, but it's OK to rent a machine and put it in there. Your character is being displayed!!
D2Cat,
I too, was a little taken aback to see the suggestion to use a rental tractor in this manner. We are supposed to be better than that...

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
My local rental place already uses universal hydraulic fluid in their equipment so what is the issue? This is also the place that starts the pressure washers with no water hooked up to prove it runs before renting it. I worked at dealerships were people would come in to "test drive" a new pickup and a few hours later it would come back with scratches in the bed and the remains of whatever they hauled(gravel, mulch, compost, etc.). This is the same rental place that come in with a newer gas truck with the complaint that the diesel nozzle would not fit into the fill tube for the GAS tank. And he was determined that some diesel would clean the pistons to prevent misfires.

Last edited:

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
My local rental place already uses universal hydraulic fluid in their equipment so what is the issue? This is also the place that starts the pressure washers with no water hooked up to prove it runs before renting it. I worked at dealerships were people would come in to "test drive" a new pickup and a few hours later it would come back with scratches in the bed and the remains of whatever they hauled(gravel, mulch, compost, etc.). This is the same rental place that come in with a newer gas truck with the complaint that the diesel nozzle would not fit into the fill tube for the GAS tank. And he was determines that some diesel would clean the pistons
If SP did take your advice, he'd just be replacing one volume of suspect fluid with another.