Hydraulic leak

Grant2K

Equipment
L2900
Apr 2, 2019
NJ
Tractor is an L2900 with loader.

I recently topped off my trans/hydraulic fluid and it was about a gallon low but didn't think much of it. I haven't had the tractor very long and admittedly I never topped it off when I bought it. I brush hogged a couple hours and parked the tractor and the next day noticed a puddle under it. The front prop shaft had oil on it so I initially thought it was the front axle seal. Checked it an the front axle is full and clean. Then I noticed the sight glass on the trans was low again and the leaking had stopped. So it seems that the leak is coming from someplace high enough up in the trans/hydraulic system that it only leaks about a gallon and stops, and it is coming from under the machine, not a hose or anything. I didn't notice it coming from the weep plug but that could be because it had already done all its leaking by the time I checked it. And actually it did not look like a full gallon had leaked out. I should pull the weep plug and see if more comes out, but the puddle while significant, was not a gallon.

My worst fear is that it's the seal on the input shaft. The clutch works great so I don't think that's the case; it doesn't appear to have been covered in oil. I get no noise from the hydraulics and it shifts totally fine. This is my first tractor and I am not real familiar with where everything is routed. Honestly I haven't had time to really lay down and look at it real close either. Where would be the first/most obvious places to check?

Last edited:

zuiko

Equipment
L2900
May 29, 2017
Canada
There is a service bulletin for the leaking prop shaft problem, AG001-98. It talks about a repair kit that might fix the problem without splitting; the kit used is part number TA040-98001. If that hasn’t been installed you might want to give that a try first.

Grant2K

Equipment
L2900
Apr 2, 2019
NJ
There is a service bulletin for the leaking prop shaft problem, AG001-98. It talks about a repair kit that might fix the problem without splitting; the kit used is part number TA040-98001. If that hasn’t been installed you might want to give that a try first.
Doing a search for that TSB number comes up with several threads where it looks like many people have had success with it. I'll look into that first, thank you. That would save me massive headaches!

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Grant2K,

If you try the TSB, please take and post pictures, so others can learn about the repair.

Year's down the road others will thank you.

Hope this solves your problem and you can avoid splitting the tractor.

Good luck!