Hydraulic Hose Sticker Shock

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
I had the high pressure hydraulic hose (on my wood splitter) coming off the pump spring a leak yesterday. The hose is 3.4 inch, four feet long with a fitting on each end. The NAPA hose shop here was out of the fittings so I had to go to Hydradyne (Parker) to get one made. $104 later, I was on my way. I knew that hydraulic components had gotten insanely expensive but that is ridiculous. I needed to get up and running to avoid breaking down the setup or leaving the splitter in the field with the storms we have coming this way today. Just a warning……if you are about to need hoses, prepare for some serious sticker shock, especially with 3/4 inch and higher sizes.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
For hose that is not in fractions of a foot can often be purchased at farm supply stores prefabricated very reasonable. At my local store a 3/4" x 4' hose threaded x threaded is $48.

Reactions: 1 user

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
I had the high pressure hydraulic hose (on my wood splitter) coming off the pump spring a leak yesterday. The hose is 3.4 inch, four feet long with a fitting on each end. The NAPA hose shop here was out of the fittings so I had to go to Hydradyne (Parker) to get one made. $104 later, I was on my way. I knew that hydraulic components had gotten insanely expensive but that is ridiculous. I needed to get up and running to avoid breaking down the setup or leaving the splitter in the field with the storms we have coming this way today. Just a warning……if you are about to need hoses, prepare for some serious sticker shock, especially with 3/4 inch and higher sizes.
Price out some hoses for a little larger equipment. My main line from pump to valve body on my mini excavator developed a rash and burst. $480 later...

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Price out some hoses for a little larger equipment. My main line from pump to valve body on my mini excavator developed a rash and burst. $480 later...
That's probably a pretty substantial hose. Over 1" I.D., 4-wire, 5000psi rating, flat face o-ring split flange ends...not surprised by that price.

D.jFarm78

Equipment
L2250 FEL& L4610FEl, BH, Grapple, Mower, Gannon , blade, disc, plow, rototiller,
Mar 20, 2020
Young, Az USA
Take a look at summit they have hoses certain sizes and seam reasonable.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
That's probably a pretty substantial hose. Over 1" I.D., 4-wire, 5000psi rating, flat face o-ring split flange ends...not surprised by that price.
Same hose was $330 3 years prior. I priced it to replace because it had some abrasions but wasnt leaking so i just went with it. Bottom line is EVERYTHING is more expensive nowadays.

Captain13

Equipment
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
I would hate to have to replace several hoses at once.

Just a note regarding hydraulic safety. I always check my hoses every time I use any equipment with hydraulics. A cable contractor here was burying cables for the local cable supplier. He was using a Ditch Witch and blew a hydraulic hose. The Ditch Witch was destroyed. The contractor had to be airlifted to a burn center with sever burns to his lower body.

I was lucky when mine leaked. It sprayed the engine including the muffler but didn’t catch on fire. Other than smoke and oil spray, everything was OK. Fortunately, my reservoir is 25 gallons and keeps the fluid reasonably cool since it has time to cool down before going back through a pressure cycle. I think if the fluid had been really hot to begin with, it may have ignited.

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
I bought a used log splitter last summer and replaced all the hoses and rebuilt the leaking cylinder. High pressure hose and other parts from Foard’s.
I can understand paying a bit more for same day service at Parker.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
1/2" x 4', 5000psi line with Two 1/2 male npt swivel fittings cost me a little over $100 from RGA.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
yep

before I left the dealer they had JUST ordered the crimping machine, the table, and a whole bunch of fittings. About 250 fittings as I recall. total cost for those items was shy of $14 grand. That did not include rolls of hose. This was a decent electric/hydraulic set. Figure in the hose (on rolls) , the fittings, tooling, you can easily spend 50 large. Have to make a lot of hoses to pay for it.

Jsjac

Equipment
B2650
Feb 13, 2022
New Hampshire
I just bought two #40 code 61 flange hose end for a hose on a customers drill the fittings cost me $546 each plus the hose.
I bought a Aeroquip hydraulic hose machine,hose and a fitting assortment up to #20 four wire and it cost enough to by a new 45hp tractor with a cab.
Every time I reorder fittings and hose I am shocked at the cost.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca

$6/ft for 3/4 4-wire on sale right now

If it's a standard length hose I find it's often cheaper to buy 4 foot pre-made assemblies and buy fittings to adapt them instead of custom length.

4 foot 1/2 inch hose $22 regular price, on sale usually 30-50% off

Try to find pre-made ones with swivel fittings if you want to make life a little easier.

Reactions: 1 users

Captain13

Equipment
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
I agree, mikester. It was a situation that I had to get the repair down and get out. The rain has started now and a friend of mine further south said they already have gotten over 5 inches in the last 24 hours. I just couldn’t wait.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I've had Princess Auto make my hoses for decades (since mid70s....) ,last one(5000PSI,3/8") was 1/2 the cost of OEM and upgraded with swivels on both ends,so it fit in place a LOT nicer , and faster.