Hydraulic Fluid/Oil

schmellba99

Equipment
L3800
Jun 4, 2012
Texas
I know that Kubota recommends the UDT2 transmission/hydraulic oil - but what other brands out there are high quality hydraulic fluids that you guys use on your rigs?

In my old tractor I used the TSC universal, never had any issues...but that tractor was older, had some leaks here and there and I didn't want to put money into good high quality hydro fluid just to eventually leak out. My new tractor doesn't have those issues and it's about due for the 500 hour service. I'm not against the Kubota fluid...just think that you are paying a lot for the orange label on it and not necessarily performance characteristics of the oil itself.

I'm normally a Royal Purple guy, and they do make a hydraulic fluid, but it isn't readily available unfortunately.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
About the same price as JD's Hy Gard. Paid $27 for a gallon of UDT2, which is about what I'd paid for the Hy Gard.

Not a lot, just short of $7/qt, which is about right for synthetic oil.

I've 2 gallons of Hy Gard left over and was debating whether to get 2 more gallons of it and use it in the B2601 but now seem to have a buyer for the Hy Gard.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I know that Kubota recommends the UDT2 transmission/hydraulic oil - but what other brands out there are high quality hydraulic fluids that you guys use on your rigs?

In my old tractor I used the TSC universal, never had any issues...but that tractor was older, had some leaks here and there and I didn't want to put money into good high quality hydro fluid just to eventually leak out. My new tractor doesn't have those issues and it's about due for the 500 hour service. I'm not against the Kubota fluid...just think that you are paying a lot for the orange label on it and not necessarily performance characteristics of the oil itself.

I'm normally a Royal Purple guy, and they do make a hydraulic fluid, but it isn't readily available unfortunately.
Really depends on IF your machine is HST or not, if HST then I reaaallly suggest you use S-UDT2 ..... but if geared you can use most oils that meet the specs for those geared trannys.

AS for paying for "kubota fluid" - yes - they DO NOT MAKE it themselves - but they get to tell the maker of the OIL, exactly WHAT to put in it.

Now for the fun part - MANY , many oil companies say that their "oils" meet KUBOTA's specs - so, IF you believe the words that are printed on the label on the back of the container - by all means save a few bucks.

There are other oils that people here HAVE used in their HST machines and have had zero problems.

But here is the real question I want to ask ..........

If Royal Purple is (making prices up) 15 bucks a gallon and Kubota's oil (real price) is 22 ........ is it really worth it to buy a less expensive oil? I did not say cheaper oil - just less expensive oil?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
My self tested opinion:
Alternative economic fluid to Kubota SUDT2, is Mystik JT-5.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Here in Canada, crappytire is $30 for 5 litres, Partsource is $21 !!!
Ironically partsource IS part of Canadian Tire !!!

? 4 NIW... can I 'top up' whatever is in my BX23S, or do I need to drain and fill ?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Here in Canada, crappytire is $30 for 5 litres, Partsource is $21 !!!
Ironically partsource IS part of Canadian Tire !!!

? 4 NIW... can I 'top up' whatever is in my BX23S, or do I need to drain and fill ?
Mystik JT 5 will mix perfectly fine with both UDT and SUDT2.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
NIW....
what does that cost you a gallon? Just curious - I know you have using it for years.
It used to be much cheaper, it's $77.99 for 5 gallons so $15.59 a gallon now.
I still have 20 gallons that I bought a couple years ago for $32 for 5 gallons on sale.

Where SUDT2 is about $135 for 5 gallons here.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
One fluid to Never use period is any generic universal fluid, usually stated as 303, or J303 or 303THF
NASTY STUFF

Reactions: 3 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
One fluid to Never use period is any generic universal fluid, usually stated as 303, or J303 or 303THF
NASTY STUFF
"Traveller Premium" is the "universal fluid" that TSC sells.
Thus, the "universal fluid" designation would mean that Traveller Premium is NOT satisfactory for Kubota HST tractors?
I use SUDT-2, so am just asking for general information.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
"Traveller Premium" is the "universal fluid" that TSC sells.
Thus, the "universal fluid" designation would mean that Traveller Premium is NOT satisfactory for a Kubota HST?
I use SUDT-2, so am just asking for general information.
Q: What does SUDT oil stand for?
A: Super Universal Dynamic Tractor oil

Universal tractor transmission oil (UTTO) is an industry standard name for a class of lubricants made by many different blenders just like Heavy Duty Engine Oil (HDEO).

SUDT2 is Kubota's registered trademark for their formulation of UTTO. SUDT2 is a low viscosity high viscosity index formulation that has better cold weather performance and water tolerance than all but a very few UTTO formulations. Traveller and Mystic both come up short on that account.

Dan

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

" COME UP SHORT" well said

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Notice I did not say "unsuitable for use". :unsure:

Dan
I liked COME UP short better - as in ....... when the hydro pump needs to be replaced, that 8k makes the bank account ...... come up short!!!! :ROFLMAO: ;)

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I liked COME UP short better - as in ....... when the hydro pump needs to be replaced, that 8k makes the bank account ...... come up short!!!! :ROFLMAO: ;)
My choice of words had absolutely nothing to do with that. It was a simple statement of empirical fact based on published data. The generic fluids simply cannot match the cold flow performance of SUDT2.

When or if that has any bearing on the service life of any hydraulic or driveline compinent is speculative and heavily dependent on other factors.

Dan

schmellba99

Equipment
L3800
Jun 4, 2012
Texas
Really depends on IF your machine is HST or not, if HST then I reaaallly suggest you use S-UDT2 ..... but if geared you can use most oils that meet the specs for those geared trannys.

AS for paying for "kubota fluid" - yes - they DO NOT MAKE it themselves - but they get to tell the maker of the OIL, exactly WHAT to put in it.

Now for the fun part - MANY , many oil companies say that their "oils" meet KUBOTA's specs - so, IF you believe the words that are printed on the label on the back of the container - by all means save a few bucks.

There are other oils that people here HAVE used in their HST machines and have had zero problems.

But here is the real question I want to ask ..........

If Royal Purple is (making prices up) 15 bucks a gallon and Kubota's oil (real price) is 22 ........ is it really worth it to buy a less expensive oil? I did not say cheaper oil - just less expensive oil?
It is an HST.

I'm not looking to go cheaper - hell, RP is generally more expensive than most and that's what I use for all of my other oils (Engine, trans, diff gears, etc.) in every other piece of equipment I own.

Was doing some research on using ATF in lieu of tractor hydraulic oil, can't seem to find anything that says that is a bad thing as the weights are the same and trans fluid generally runs a little cooler because of various additives over hydraulic oil.

schmellba99

Equipment
L3800
Jun 4, 2012
Texas
My choice of words had absolutely nothing to do with that. It was a simple statement of empirical fact based on published data. The generic fluids simply cannot match the cold flow performance of SUDT2.

When or if that has any bearing on the service life of any hydraulic or driveline compinent is speculative and heavily dependent on other factors.

Dan
I live in Texas on the gulf coast...cold weather isn't a huge concern here, and in the rare times it does get really cold you won't find me tooling around on the open cab tractor. I'm not built for that nonsense.

Heat? Well, that's a different animal - we have a lot of that here.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I live in Texas on the gulf coast...cold weather isn't a huge concern here, and in the rare times it does get really cold you won't find me tooling around on the open cab tractor. I'm not built for that nonsense.

Heat? Well, that's a different animal - we have a lot of that here.
SUDT2 is priced where it is because it is an exceptionally high quality cold weather formulation with somewhat unique properties and superior water tolerance. The "best" choice for an HST would be SUFT2. If you are not operating in cold weather and out of warranty UDT or a premium UTTO from a reputable manufacturer is a reasonable alternative.

Universal tractor transmission oils are multi-purpose transmission, final drive, hydraulic, brake, and clutch oils. Regardless of who blends it ATF or ordinary hydraulic oils are not acceptable formulations and will not perform nearly as well.

Dan

schmellba99

Equipment
L3800
Jun 4, 2012
Texas
SUDT2 is priced where it is because it is an exceptionally high quality cold weather formulation with somewhat unique properties and superior water tolerance. The "best" choice for an HST would be SUFT2. If you are not operating in cold weather and out of warranty UDT or a premium UTTO from a reputable manufacturer is a reasonable alternative.

Universal tractor transmission oils are multi-purpose transmission, final drive, hydraulic, brake, and clutch oils. Regardless of who blends it ATF or ordinary hydraulic oils are not acceptable formulations and will not perform nearly as well.

Dan
10-4, it was just a thought. Between the research, this forum and the answer from RP - UDT2 it is