Hydraulic fluid level

Fastball

Equipment
L2900, rear blade, finish mower, 200l sprayer, landscape rake
Feb 9, 2017
North Okanagan, British Columbia
I have a L2900 which doesn’t have a dipstick to check the hydrauli fluid level….merely a sight-glass. I remember dumping fluid into it last summer, and I saw the fluid in the glass. I don't see the fluid level anymore, so I dumped the better part of a litre or so…still don’t see the level In the sight glass. Is it normal to lose that amount of hydro fluid over the course of a year? I’m scared if OVERFILLING it, just in case I’m wrong.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Have you seen puddles of hydraulic fluid on the ground?
If not, then yep you've probably over filled it.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I remember reading on these forums that JD has a dye that can be added to the fluid to make it easier to read the fluid level. When the fluid is clear, it is difficult to know exactly where the fluid level is unless your fluid is extremely dirty. I wonder why Kubota doesn't have a similar product?

loggin

Equipment
MX4700
Sep 4, 2021
canada
I have a L2900 which doesn’t have a dipstick to check the hydrauli fluid level….merely a sight-glass. I remember dumping fluid into it last summer, and I saw the fluid in the glass. I don't see the fluid level anymore, so I dumped the better part of a litre or so…still don’t see the level In the sight glass. Is it normal to lose that amount of hydro fluid over the course of a year? I’m scared if OVERFILLING it, just in case I’m wrong.

What I will sometimes do to check level is put a clean dip stick down the filler hole near the upper link of the 3 point hitch. I make a mark on the upper part of the stick and line that up with the the top of the filler hole. Then i take the dipstick out and line it up with the filler hole on the outside of the transmission case and i can see where the level is at. I have my fluid at the upper end of the window and it is not always apparent where the level is at because sometimes there is a bubble caught in the window. I operate on steep slopes so I like to keep it at the upper limit.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
I had this problem with the JD2025R that has only a sight glass. At 50 hours change, I overfilled it by putting back what it is supposed to take. I took a stick and poked it down the fill hole and measured where I'd put it in by marking the stick at the fill hole. Then I pulled the stick out and held it at the level it was into the fill hole but off to the side and measured where the oil level was. Figured it was low enough to be okay.

At 400 hours, I employed my wife to watch the sight glass and let me know when at the mid point. Did not need the last gallon of fluid.