(Hydraulic) fluid leak, steady pour upon starting up tractor

TKDavison

Equipment
Kubota BX23SLSB-T
Sep 20, 2020
Needham, MA
I noticed my 2YO BX23 leaking fluid. It's coming from center, rear of tractor just above PTO drive. I'm guessing it's hydraulic fluid as it measured low and when I added more and turned on tractor a steady flow of fluid came out (it doesn't look like oil / gas). There's a casing and it almost looks like it's coming out of two screw holes (see attached pictures). This is probably beyond my ability to fix and I'll get it in for service, I just wanted to know what I'm likely dealing with. Thanks in advance.
kubota leak_1.jpeg

kubota leak_2.jpeg

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Since your filter is dented along with the metal brace nearby, it may have taken a hit.

Perhaps pull up the illustrated parts at Kubota to see what parts are involved. Kubota: Illustrated Parts

Do you have Kubota insurance?

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Look here, agree to legal then put in your BX23S model. Go to HST 3. If I have it right, those are 3 plugs.....

Screenshot 2020-09-20 112713.jpg

Do one or two of the plugs look damaged, or are they loose? The center one looks buggered up to me....

Also, is that the original hydraulic filter? It looks gray, which is indicative of the factory filter?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Since your filter is dented along with the metal brace nearby, it may have taken a hit.

Perhaps pull up the illustrated parts at Kubota to see what parts are involved. Kubota: Illustrated Parts

You beat me to it! I didn't notice the bent bracket. Looks like filter can't turn off as is.

But I did learn how to paste in a schematic.....you can teach an old dog new tricks....(actually taught myself...) :geek:

To the OP - -It does look like something got up in there. You may want to check the plastic HST fan up in there also....they're prone to damage when something gets in there.

You might consider an under armor "skid plate". BxPanded and Brotek both have them, and many BX guys use them (me included).

Certainly wish you good luck. Hopefully just replacing a couple plugs.....

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Looking at this over and over
that bracket looks bent - but I do not think it is ....... here is a picture of the shield - angle is a little different but the shield looks the same.
as for the dripping - looks like the oil COULD be leaking from further up the finned area where it is wet.
So it could be a leak up top and simply dripping all the way to the lowest point.
That filter did take a smack - no question there.

bx.JPG

TKDavison

Equipment
Kubota BX23SLSB-T
Sep 20, 2020
Needham, MA

Thanks so much for having a look and the quick response. I cleaned up the filter and area and I think you'll see there's no dent, but tell you if you think I'm missing anything. I think the leaks are isolated to the plugs from what I can tell. Thanks again for having a look and for any advice!
IMG_1236.JPG

TKDavison

Equipment
Kubota BX23SLSB-T
Sep 20, 2020
Needham, MA
Look here, agree to legal then put in your BX23S model. Go to HST 3. If I have it right, those are 3 plugs.....

View attachment 48599

Do one or two of the plugs look damaged, or are they loose? The center one looks buggered up to me....

Also, is that the original hydraulic filter? It looks gray, which is indicative of the factory filter?
Thanks so much for the quick response and having a look. I think you've got me in the right direction as the only leaks are in those plug locations. It doesn't look particularly damaged or loose I posted a cleaned up picture on another reply but it's hard to see the plugs themselves. I'm tempted to just blame the plugs and replace them since that seems to be the clear source of the leak visually, but that could also be my wishful thinking for a not too expensive fix!

TKDavison

Equipment
Kubota BX23SLSB-T
Sep 20, 2020
Needham, MA
Wow I'm so appreciative of this forum and everyone having a look at this with me. I think the original picture was misleading - no dent or damage to filter. I'm zeroing in on the plugs since that seems to be the source of the leak (I wiped everything down and as soon as I start up, fluid is coming out of 2 of the 3 plug holes, it doesn't appear to be coming from above). What do you think?
IMG_1236.JPG

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Looking at the post with the illustrated parts there are gaskets under two of the plugs. Probably the two that have the extended shoulder.

If those are leaking the try to tighten them some and see if that helps.

I assume that if you remove them fluid would run out. You may want to buy new plugs and seals so you can just hold your finger on the hole and then use the new ones or have a friend handy to clean plug and replace the seal while you are holding the fluid back.

TKDavison

Equipment
Kubota BX23SLSB-T
Sep 20, 2020
Needham, MA
Looking at the post with the illustrated parts there are gaskets under two of the plugs. Probably the two that have the extended shoulder.

If those are leaking the try to tighten them some and see if that helps.

I assume that if you remove them fluid would run out. You may want to buy new plugs and seals so you can just hold your finger on the hole and then use the new ones or have a friend handy to clean plug and replace the seal while you are holding the fluid back.
It looks like two of the plugs are definitely leaking - the center one and one of the ones with the gasket. I think I'll give that a try and see how that goes (start w/ the easiest explanation / least expensive fix!). Thanks!