Hydraulic filter question

Mountaindoc

Equipment
M6800
May 8, 2010
Blackey, KY
I just serviced my 2003 M6800 tractor and I got really confused when it got to the 2 identical hydraulic filters that are side by side (tractor has the hydrostatic transmission). The dealer gave me all of the filters and I finally got around to servicing it today. So when I pulled the old filters off, the one on the right had a "plunger" that I guess has a magnet to catch shavings. The manual really didn't explain that very well other than to say wipe the metal off the magnet. The 2 new filters were not the same, and I didn't realize that until I opened the boxes. One had "suction filter" stamped on it and it was white (part no. HH330-82630). The other one was black and just had a part no. stamped on it (33960-82630). So I had a 50/50 chance to get this right. PLEASE tell me that I should have put the "suction filter" canister over the hole with the plunger sticking out. Any help would be appreciated.

KubotaTech

Equipment
None- I get to play with everyone elses stuff
Apr 1, 2010
PA
The M6800's I have seen were all gear shift transmissions. They all had that same magnet that the filter goes over but both filters were the same. It sounds like that is the suction filter. If your tractor has a hydrostatic transmission, it would use a different filter for that part of the transmission which will filter the fluid even finer. You are probably ok.

KubotaTech

Equipment
Apr 1, 2010
PA
Did both filters look the same on the base? Kubota has a habit of changing filter numbers. Often they will keep the same last 5 numbers and change the first 5 numbers, and I have seen it where they often change the new number to an HH number such as you have here. They also have started to make most of their filters white instead of grey or black. So if they look the same, maybe they are, and you just have one new number and one old number?

Mountaindoc

Equipment
M6800
May 8, 2010
Blackey, KY
Thanks for both of your replies. I need to clarify I think. You are right, my tractor has a gear shift in the floor and I guess I should have said it has a Shuttle Shift feature. Sorry for my ignorance and bad choice of words. And yes, both filters were identical on the outside. Basically they were just different colors with different numbers. I'm hoping you are right and I got handed an older and newer version of essentially the same filter. But the white one indeed had "suction filter" printed right on it and I put it on the side with the magnet. I appreciate your help. The tractor ran fine after. If I find out later that I put them on wrong, I guess I've got a mess on my hands trying to switch those with hydraulic fluid flying everywhere (I could probably sell tickets to that scene). But I WILL swap them if needed. This tractor has been too good to me, and I try my best to take care of it.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I think KubotaTech is correct about the filters. My M 9000 takes 2 identical filters and I think in this case the only difference between it and your is HP.

I don't know on the color off your particular filters you just installed but I found this out by accident. My local dealer sells JD and Kubota tractors. JD is their primary even though 50hp and under Kubota out sells JD 3 to 1 and 50hp and above it's 2 to 1 according to their salesman. The Kubota filters they sell are always white. I never thought anything about it and just assumed that the blue looking filters only came from the factory on new tractors. After several trips to the parts counter (for PM supplies) and seeing the parts guy hand JD parts out like free candy and then telling me that what I needed had been back ordered or they just sold the last on a few minutes ago I got fed up and went looking for a new dealer. :mad:

I found a little hole in the wall dealer about 30 miles from me and stopped in one day. All the guys here talked to me like I was their best friend and we had known each other all our lives. Pleased with my treatment I asked for a engine oil filter for my L 3000. The parts man stood up (never even touched a parts book) and walked back to a shelf, picked up a filter and handed it to me. I opened the box and the filter was blue just like the one that came on my tractor when it was new. After seeing that I told him what I had been getting and asked what the difference was. :confused:

The white filters are made in Mexico for Kubota and the Blue filters are made in Japan by Kubota. After I got home I compaired the blue one to a white one. Right out of the box the white filter had some kind of white looking powder on the rubber seal that I had been told by my local dealer was from the manufacturing process but the blue one didn't have this. The blue filter felt like it weighed twice as much as the white one did so that told me that either it had more filter media in it or the case was made better. In either case it should be a better filter in my opinion. :cool:

After asking more questions at the new dealer I found out that they were the first dealership that carried Kubota tractors in the US. They said that they would never carry the filters from Mexico bacause they weren't up to there standards. The owner told me that he only wanted the best for his customers and that getting the original Kubota parts was part of his job. I found out another service that he offers that no other dealer has ever offered me before is that they will order the parts/filters that I need and have them shipped from Kubota right to my door at no cost to me. I have done this several times since then. Call them up and tell them what I need and in a couple of days it shows up and a few days after that I get a bill from the dealer for the parts. I dont know if this is something that this one dealer does or if all of them can do this and just don't tell you but it may be worth checking into. :D

Mountaindoc

Equipment
M6800
May 8, 2010
Blackey, KY
Very interesting about those filters. Sounds like you have found a good dealership with good people. I'm 90 miles away from the nearest dealer. And that becomes a headache sometimes. So I'm definitely gonna hit both of them up and see if they're willing to do what yours does for you.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
bulldog, what dealer is that, i'm only about 24 miles from you. I have a nephew that lives in Dalton.
ipz2222,

Tag Equipment in Chattanooga on Cherokee BLVD. 423-265-0475 or 423-265-0472

Ken is the owner, Eric is his son and was the one that was handling the parts dept. the last time I talked to them.

Ken started out a MF dealer and when he saw what Kubota was offering he dropped MF and sells nothing but Kubotas now. These are supper guys to work with.

Here is another example of how good they have been to me. I ordered my M 9000 DTC in October of 03. At that time there were none to be found and Kubota was so far behind building 50hp and under they had switched all their plants to building just those sizes of tractors. Ken called me on a regular basis to keep me up to date on what was going on and he searched all over the southeast for me a tractor. It was March of 04 before a tractor was available. They serviced the tractor and delivered it to me and I had never even signed the paper work on it yet. I got call from Ken at work and he just said that I would be happy when I got home that afternoon and that he would get me some paperwork on it as son as he got around to it. Don't worry about us, just take the tractor and put it to work. Ken didn't send me the papers on it until about the end of May and had put a note in with them to simply bring it to him whenever I had time that he was in no hurry.

I have never even heard of a dealership of any kind that will just drop off a $35,000 tractor at your house and say put it to work and we will settle up later. These guys treat their customers that good.

As far as Dalton goes for your nephew. Tell him to stay away from Coles equipment. They are the ones that are using Kubota for a kick stand. If you go over there to look at a tractor JD is what they try to push on you first. I told their salesman that I had no interest in a JD when I went there to price a M 9000 and he priced me a JD anyway. If you go over there after hrs notice all the orange is locked up behind a fence and are so far back that you can't even see the numbers on them but have a full line of green for everyone to see out front. I'm sure that is just a fluke, yeah right.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
I know where TAG equipment is. I thought you were useing a place in Dalton. TAG is much closer to me. Thanks.
ps, nephew is a manager at Longhorn resturant, he won't be looking at tractors but his 10 year old son may. He spent the weekend with me last mnth and I had him on the tractor and let him steer it. He was grinning from ear to ear.

Mountaindoc

Equipment
M6800
May 8, 2010
Blackey, KY
Here's and update and a confirmation of what you all suspected. I FINALLY got in touch with the dealership here today and a guy took the time to look it up for me. They gave me an older and a newer filter with different part numbers. Stuff like that drives me crazy.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I know where TAG equipment is. I thought you were useing a place in Dalton. TAG is much closer to me. Thanks.
ps, nephew is a manager at Longhorn resturant, he won't be looking at tractors but his 10 year old son may. He spent the weekend with me last mnth and I had him on the tractor and let him steer it. He was grinning from ear to ear.
I was using Coles equipment in Dalton for a while but I just simply got tired of listening to them cut down Kubota tractors and try to tell everybody why the green machines were a better choice. This is sad seeing as how Kubota is over 50% of their business.

KubotaTech

Equipment
Apr 1, 2010
PA
I never heard anything about the mexico/japan manufacturing difference. From what I have seen, we order Kubota filters, and they are all white now with the exception of rtv transmission filters and a few others, but i never noticed a difference in weight or anything like that. The filters I use are genuine Kubota filters, so I would suspect they will all be white reguardless of the manufacturing plant

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I know that the ones I used to get from Coles equipment say Made in Mexico on the box and they were all white and the ones that I buy from Tag equipment say Made in Japan and they have all been blue just like what comes on the tractors when they are new.

It may not be like that every where but that is what it is in the Dalton GA/Chattanooga TN area.

For whatever reason all the Mexican made filters are covered with some kind of chalky white powder. Even the OIL FILTERS will have this stuff all around the threads and the rubber seal. I refuse to buy them. If that stuff is on the threads and seal it has to be down in it as well.

The only thing that I know of good that came from mexico is Corona Light.

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Very useful info here. I just purchased a round of filters a couple weeks ago and I could never figure out why the colors were always changing white and blue. Now I'm bummed that some of the new ones are white :mad:

Next time I will bring this up with my dealer and see what he has to say about getting the mex filters.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I wish you would check your boxes and see if yours are made in Mexico as well if you think about it. I got the insite on that from my old parts guy at Tag. I'm curious to no if your white filters have the same chalky white powder on them like mine did. Every filter I even bought from the dealer in Dalton has been this way. The Air Filters would have this powder all over them inside and out.

I don't know what the procedure is for a dealer to order their filters but I no that Tag equ. never carries anything but the original blue made in Japan filters. Japan made air filters as well. They even sell them cheaper than the other dealer sold the white ones.

Tag is also the only dealer that told me about Kubota shipping the filters and parts direct to me from the factory. I have done this several times and Kubota has paid the shipping every time. All I paid was the price of the filters. I wonder if this has anything to do with them only selling Japan filters. I don't have a clue.

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
When I get home I will look at the filters. I already changed the air filter but nothing else. I don't recall the air filter having powder though.

I also think not all of the fluid filters came in there own box :confused:
And I think the ones that didn't have a box were the white ones...hhmmm.

I'll have to take another look.

Sam427

Equipment
L3410 GST, FEL, Bush Hog, Box Scrape, Spreader
Nov 6, 2009
Snellville, Ga. USA
I just serviced my Kubota this weekend, I bought all Napa Gold filters, they are made by Wix. You can order all of the filters from Fleetfilter.com at about 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of the Kubota filters. They had air, fuel, oil, and hydraulic filters for mine.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
A M6800 with Hydro? Never heard of it! Hydraulic shuttle for sure but there are no M tractors with hydrostatic transmissions. I don't know where the filters are coming from that Kubota are supplying but they are less expensive AND cheaper built than they previously supplied. But they ARE Kubota approved and that has to mean something!
Ed:D

Mountaindoc

Equipment
M6800
May 8, 2010
Blackey, KY
Well I'm glad you got all excited in correcting me. I corrected myself earlier in this post. I wasn't paying attention to what I was saying. It has a shuttle shift. Not hydrostatic.