Hydraulic diverter on snowblower

MuttCat

Apr 9, 2017
Dorloo, NY, USA
Tis the season....
I've a new BX2822 snowblower, and second time out with it a problem has cropped up. Maybe somebody can shed some light on this.

I went full hydraulic on the discharge chute, rotation and deflection. The deflector required the installation of what I believe is called a hydraulic diverter (I do not have a loader). This component is mounted to the left backside of the blower. Electric power runs to what is a solenoid that I guess operates the diverter. Up/down control is a toggle switch on the hydraulic control stick.

Yesterday, no up or down, nothing. Called the dealer and a tech was over pronto...that's service!

The solenoid part of the valve was hanging loose because a plastic cap nut on the end of the actuating rod (moves in and out of the diverter housing) had backed off. And although the protruding end of the rod is threaded, the plastic nut cap was not. I'm not sure how accurate my description is...the tech said this is one for Kubota and he would order the part, a threaded one.

I'm trying to find the something that identifies the parts that comprise the diverter kit. The part number for the deflector is BX2821a, but I have not been able to find the number for the kit, let alone the plastic piece that apparently was defective.

The tech made a temporary fix by winding a wad of electrical tape around the end of the rod. The whole deal looks sketchy to me. Any ideas?

I'll post a picture later this am.

Last edited:

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Sounds sketchy. I had a similar-ish problem with mine, though mine is a new BX2380 with a BX2830 blower.
About the 10th time I went to use the (electric) deflector, it wouldn't work.
Why?
The dealer techs had wired everything so friggin' tight, that when I put the blower in float (pushing the joystick handle fully forward), that it unplugged about 1/2 the wires to the deflector switch. It was really cold that day so the wires were especially stiff, compared to June when they wired it up.

My solution was to drop the attached deflector switch box (mounted to the joystick) slightly and provide some strain relief in the wires to allow for full joystick movement.

So far, so good.

Why people wire things up goshdarn singin' tight is beyond me. When I was an apprentice Electrician in a former life, the journeyman I worked with always told me, when we were fishing wires and whatnot....it's pretty hard to add wire, Mike, so if there is ANY doubt whatsoever, "leave it long".

We (our company) collected scrap wire all year long and filled a tractor trailer with it, and just before Xmas, took it to the recycle place to pay for our Xmas party.

sorry--big digression from your topic ! Related, but only kinda.

Thanks for the bandwidth.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Tis the season....
I've a new BX2822 snowblower, and second time out with it a problem has cropped up. Maybe somebody can shed some light on this.

I went full hydraulic on the discharge chute, rotation and deflection. The deflector required the installation of what I believe is called a hydraulic diverter (I do not have a loader). This component is mounted to the left backside of the blower. Electric power runs to what is a solenoid that I guess operates the diverter. Up/down control is a toggle switch on the hydraulic control stick.

Yesterday, no up or down, nothing. Called the dealer and a tech was over pronto...that's service!

The solenoid part of the valve was hanging loose because a plastic cap nut on the end of the actuating rod (moves in and out of the diverter housing) had backed off. And although the protruding end of the rod is threaded, the plastic nut cap was not. I'm not sure how accurate my description is...the tech said this is one for Kubota and he would order the part, a threaded one.

I'm trying to find the something that identifies the parts that comprise the diverter kit. The part number for the deflector is BX2821a, but I have not been able to find the number for the kit, let alone the plastic piece that apparently was defective.

The tech made a temporary fix by winding a wad of electrical tape around the end of the rod. The whole deal looks sketchy to me. Any ideas?

I'll post a picture later this am.
Here is the parts breakdown. The part you are describing (key number 120 - part number 70060-02677) appears to be a 3 way hydraulic diverter valve. It switches the input hydraulic control stream (2 hoses) between two double acting cylinders. This allows you to control two cylinders with one directional control valve. The toggle switch controls which cylinder is connected to the valve. Only one of the cylinders can be connected at any given time.

The parts breakdown does not include component parts for the diverter valve - I suspect it is replaced as as a unit.

Dan

bx2821a.png

Dan

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
it sounds like the plastic nut holds the actual solenoid 'coil' onto the 'valve assembly'. Very common designs, allows different coils(12v,24, 120v) to control the valve. The plastic nut could(should) be replaced with a metal one. A picture would help of course....probably some weird design I haven't seen. The ones I used 1,000s of, used a retaining ring or 'snap ring' or 'C-clip'. made for QUICK exchanges at 2 in the morning.

MuttCat

Apr 9, 2017
Dorloo, NY, USA
Dan, you are close, but mine is a bit different..

You can see where the tape is wrapped on the right hand side of the knurled plastic thing. I'm starting to think that whatever nut was on there must have fallen off.

Attachments

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Dan, you are close, but mine is a bit different..

View attachment 74260

You can see where the tape is wrapped on the right hand side of the knurled plastic thing. I'm starting to think that whatever nut was on there must have fallen off.
Thats one of the two solenoids. The nut/knob are what holds it to the spool inside the valve body. The knob may be a manual actuation feature. Hopefully the service guy can scrounge the parts needed to fix it. A picture of the good one on the other end would be informative.

Dan

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
For what they charge for the diverter, hoses, and assorted other plumbing, you probably could have had a LandPride true 3rd function valve added to your tractor for very little difference. The LandPride unit for the BX23S is one sweet working unit. I use mine to power the snowblower hood angle in the winter and the grapple in the warm months.

Reactions: 1 user

MuttCat

Apr 9, 2017
Dorloo, NY, USA
Truth is I traded my bx2370, snowblower, and mmm in on new equipment. It was all payed for, got a nice trade value, and with zero percent financing I went for all the bells and whistles. I'm bummed the diverter crapped out by falling apart.

So here I am, waiting on parts. I had to unbolt the bracket from the chute so that I can adjust the up and down.

MuttCat

Apr 9, 2017
Dorloo, NY, USA
Update and last entry. The tech just left. He replaced the whole unit; the thing was defective and how it ever worked at all is a mystery. The original unit was installed at the dealer, and a function check showed that it worked just fine. It wasn't until I put it to work did it fail.
Anyway, kudos to Randall Implements for a pretty quick repair.

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Update and last entry. The tech just left. He replaced the whole unit; the thing was defective and how it ever worked at all is a mystery. The original unit was installed at the dealer, and a function check showed that it worked just fine. It wasn't until I put it to work did it fail.
Anyway, kudos to Randall Implements for a pretty quick repair.
Congratulations.

Dan

MuttCat

Apr 9, 2017
Dorloo, NY, USA
As an aside, we really haven't had any snow. The early forecasts predicted a mild winter, cold but little snow. I remember one winter when I didn't even mount the snowblower. Now I've got a brand new commercial blower and no snow!

Guess I shouldn't complain. Have a good one friends.