Hydraulic Cylinder Flush Question

baronetm

Equipment
L3901HST w/FEL, 3rd fnct. BH77 BH, 5' Bushhog, 6' BBL, 42" Forks, WoodMaxx WM-8H
Apr 19, 2017
South Central VT.
I am modifying an old snow plow to fit a QA on my L3901 with 3rd function. I have two used fully functioning and non-leaking single acting hydraulic cylinders from an old Fisher snow plow with questionable fluid type and quality in them. I am thinking of flushing them with some clean Tractor Supply HST fluid. I want to drain and flush these cylinders before attaching the cylinders to my tractor, I also do not want to flush with expensive UDT2 nor do I want to contaminate my tractor with only 72 hours on it. Has anyone performed such a task or have any advice on a more compatible fluid than Tractor Supply HST fluid? As I stated all fluid will be drained as completely as possible before attaching to my tractor. Thank you in advance for your replies.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It doesn't matter what hydraulic fluid you use if your going to drain it before you put it on, they are all compataible enough that any residual thats left won't effect it.
You could use clean motor oil for what it's worth.

How are you going to hook up the single acting cylinders?
As most loader valves will not let you do that. ;)

baronetm

Equipment
L3901HST w/FEL, 3rd fnct. BH77 BH, 5' Bushhog, 6' BBL, 42" Forks, WoodMaxx WM-8H
Apr 19, 2017
South Central VT.
I am using the cylinders for angling, and I have an open center 4 way directional valve, my thought process was if A was energized B would be relieved and vice a versa. If I am missing something I am all ears. If that will not work I will need to spring for a double acting cylinder and rework my cylinder mounting point.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I am using the cylinders for angling, and I have an open center 4 way directional valve, my thought process was if A was energized B would be relieved and vice a versa. If I am missing something I am all ears. If that will not work I will need to spring for a double acting cylinder and rework my cylinder mounting point.
Give me the maker and model # for the valve and I'll look into it further. ;)

Last edited:

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I hooked up the power angle in my Fisher snowplow without any problems on my B2920. I added another valve on my tractor for rear remotes and run hoses from one of the remotes up the loader arm out to the plow. 2 single acting hydraulic cylinders act like 1 double acting cylinder when you hook up one hose to one cylinder and the other hose up to the other cylinder. When I set it up, I just took the cylinders off the plow, removed the hose and hung them up and let them drain well to get the old oil out.