Hydraulic Chute Rotator

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
You can absolutely build your own, I only suggest to find the slowest motor you can find. I build one using a gear reducer as well but only because it worked out perfectly for mounting everything on the blower I had and it worked out being the perfect speed to control where I was throwing snow. You can also reduce the speed by restricting flow.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That model of pump/motor is too high of GPM and too fast of rotation!

kupitz

Equipment
BX2660 with LA243 FEL and Front mount BX2750 snowblower/2763A heated Curtis cab.
Mar 28, 2016
New Providence, PA
Look for an Eaton hydraulic motor, you can find several varieties that are slow enough. I have one at home and have the hoses connected and checked rotation, slow enough to use, but it's a bigger heavy motor and has a 1" keyed shaft. I still have to figure out mounting and connection to the auger. If you like I can get you the Eaton number when I get home, shoot me a PM. Personally I would go with a smaller one if you can find it, got mine for free so I am going to try to use it.

fatjay

Equipment
Kubota B8200, B7200, ZD21
Nov 12, 2016
Eastern PA, USA
Why not buy a $20 power windows motor and make a mount for that, then get a ON-OFF-ON momentary switch and put it on the dash. A good speed, a lot cheaper, and no need to mess with the hydraulics.

ChuchVT

Dec 29, 2016
Johnson
Thank you!

Look for an Eaton hydraulic motor, you can find several varieties that are slow enough. I have one at home and have the hoses connected and checked rotation, slow enough to use, but it's a bigger heavy motor and has a 1" keyed shaft. I still have to figure out mounting and connection to the auger. If you like I can get you the Eaton number when I get home, shoot me a PM. Personally I would go with a smaller one if you can find it, got mine for free so I am going to try to use it.

kupitz

Equipment
BX2660 with LA243 FEL and Front mount BX2750 snowblower/2763A heated Curtis cab.
Mar 28, 2016
New Providence, PA
Why not buy a $20 power windows motor and make a mount for that, then get a ON-OFF-ON momentary switch and put it on the dash. A good speed, a lot cheaper, and no need to mess with the hydraulics.
Personally, I think the hydraulic option will outlast the electric motor and if you already have a loader valve, why not use the extra function? I have less than $50 in parts so far with hoses, fittings and motor. I just need to fab the mount bracket and connect it. Also frees up that electric for a linear chute actuator in my case as I already have the Kubota electric motor chute option.

fatjay

Equipment
Kubota B8200, B7200, ZD21
Nov 12, 2016
Eastern PA, USA
If you've already got the parts, then yea. The original motor you linked was $100, plus $20-30 hoses, it can get pricey.

I put an electric chute with power window motor on my other tractor 5 or so years ago, and it's performed flawlessly. I've debated the linear actuator, just haven't made the commitment yet. i almost never adjust that part on my signle stage, but who knows, I may need to for the 2 stage on my kubota.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
If you've already got the parts, then yea. The original motor you linked was $100, plus $20-30 hoses, it can get pricey.

I put an electric chute with power window motor on my other tractor 5 or so years ago, and it's performed flawlessly. I've debated the linear actuator, just haven't made the commitment yet. i almost never adjust that part on my signle stage, but who knows, I may need to for the 2 stage on my kubota.
Some people like myself are clueless when it comes to wiring and opt for the hydraulic method. I had an electric chute rotator on my 36" ariens snow blower and it didn't last 1 season. I didn't realize chute froze up and it blew the motor in 2 seconds. I replaced the motor and was more careful with it but eventually moisture made its way into the motor and it crapped out again. I threw it in the trash and went manual.

If you need to add a third function it can always be used for something else as well, so it's not really a huge waste of money.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

Dwarner

Equipment
B7610 HST, Woods 6500
Aug 3, 2012
Enfield, CT
Would you also install some sort of clutch so the chute or gear won't be damaged if you accidentally over rotate the chute?

OC455

Equipment
BX2350 LED ROP, FEL, Belly mower,modified snow blower, pole boom, middle plow
Sep 30, 2016
Rome NY USA
So....what would you look for in one of these style pumps? Low speed pump? When I looked for a low speed it showed a high torque pump...a low speed pump was at 150 RPMs.

Couldn't a regulator be used? Or in line flow control? I'm just throwing out ideas. What would be a good hydraulic pump to use? Is the bi-directional pump what you should use?

I like the idea of using the loader valve to control chute rotation. A lot of the hydraulic chute builds I've seen do not give any specifics on the hydraulic pumps/motors that were used.

Finding one that would work or what others used that worked is not there.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
First I am not a hydraulic expert..

When I look at the spec's on the link you provided although the flow requirements are low the speed is very high

This single stage NorTrac® Bi-Rotational Pump/Motor has a low noise CBS6 bi-directional gear pump/motor allowing for either clockwise or counter-clockwise operation. Two check valves ensure safe, smooth operation in either direction. The light overall weight is ideal for all applications. GPM: 1.1, Material: Cast iron, Max. PSI: 4,000, Rotations Per Minute: 3,600, Shaft Diameter (in.): 1/2, Shaft Type: Extended, Stage: 1, Usage: Continuous, Weight (lbs.): 5

2-piece cast iron construction for long life
CBS6 pump features 90% volumetric efficiency and 88% mechanical efficiency
1/2in. dia. extended shaft delivers 3,600 rotations per minute
Excellent cycle times
High power density
4-bolt flange with 1.78in. dia. pilot
Inlet and outlet side ports with SAE O-ring 9/16-18UNF

That is the rpm commonly found on water pumps and fans. Getting it slowed down would be a challenge.

Have you considered and rejected a hydraulic cylinder style which can easily be fabricated. A small hydraulic cylinder with an 8" stoke is cheap and durable.

This one on a 48" McKee/Kubota blower behind a B7100 has worked flawlessly for about 30 years. It was built using a surplus military aircraft cylinder which had a physical lock you could engage by turning the knob you see.

Dave M7040

OldeEnglish

Equipment
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
When looking for a motor look for low speed high torque. When factoring what speed the motor will spin at look at the motor specs especially at what GPM it states. Figure out what GPM your tractor pumps out. If your tractor is say 10 GPM and the pump says say 20 GPM @ 150 RPM, your tractor will spin it at 75 RPM. You can slow it down more by using 1/4" hoses and flow restricting washers with say a 1/32" hole, if too slow drill it out more. Also look for a motor that does not have a case drain, if it does have one it has to be plumbed to the tractor reservoir and I've read where that should be filtered as well. If I can find the motor I used I'll share it, I'm pretty sure it was the slowest motor I could find.

This is the exact motor I used but is no longer available sadly.
http://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydrau...NP-NICKEL-PLATED-HYDRAULIC-MOTOR-9-8111-A.axd

Last edited:

OC455

Equipment
Sep 30, 2016
Rome NY USA
OK, so I need to find out what my BX2350 pumps at before I choose any hydraulic motor. Cool. Need to find out how I find that information now...LOL.

Then if need be you can restrict the flow depending on how fast the motor spins or change the diameter of the hoses.

OC455

Equipment
Sep 30, 2016
Rome NY USA
When looking for a motor look for low speed high torque. When factoring what speed the motor will spin at look at the motor specs especially at what GPM it states. Figure out what GPM your tractor pumps out. If your tractor is say 10 GPM and the pump says say 20 GPM @ 150 RPM, your tractor will spin it at 75 RPM. You can slow it down more by using 1/4" hoses and flow restricting washers with say a 1/32" hole, if too slow drill it out more. Also look for a motor that does not have a case drain, if it does have one it has to be plumbed to the tractor reservoir and I've read where that should be filtered as well. If I can find the motor I used I'll share it, I'm pretty sure it was the slowest motor I could find.

This is the exact motor I used but is no longer available sadly.
http://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydrau...NP-NICKEL-PLATED-HYDRAULIC-MOTOR-9-8111-A.axd
http://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydrau...-DYNAMIC-BMRS100H2KS-HYD-MOTOR-9-7079-100.axd

There's this one that looks pretty close to what you listed.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Why are you looking at a motor that is twice the cost and is overkill for what you need?
This is much a slower motor and 1/2 the cost and size.
http://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydrau...VE-HYDRAULIC-MOTOR-TB0080AS100AAEY-9-9491.axd

FYI: You have 6.1 total GPM, you will have losses for Power Steering and such, so the max would never be over 6.1 GPM.

Last edited: