Hydraulic capacity with FE loader

olsarge

Equipment
L2501
Aug 5, 2016
Fresno CA
L2501 HST with front end loader. How much does the loader add to the fluid capacity? Just did my 400 hr service and have added about 8 gallons (manual says 6.2 gallons). I kept an eye on my sight glass while adding above 7 gallons but the black line hasn't appeared in the sight glass yet. It is on known level pad and after warming up I let it cool for 30 minutes.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
L2501 HST with front end loader. How much does the loader add to the fluid capacity? Just did my 400 hr service and have added about 8 gallons (manual says 6.2 gallons). I kept an eye on my sight glass while adding above 7 gallons but the black line hasn't appeared in the sight glass yet. It is on known level pad and after warming up I let it cool for 30 minutes.
Black line??? The new fluid can be very hard to see in the sight glass, when I changed mine I had my son (4 years old :D) watching the glass. Took about 7 gallons, my tractor pretty similar.

Also did you drain at all 4 plugs?

olsarge

Equipment
L2501
Aug 5, 2016
Fresno CA
There is a black line that shows when the fluid is in the proper range. Mine only has 2 plugs for the trans.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
You may have already over filled it by the time you hit seven gallons. Although the stated capacity is 6.2 gallons it's unlikely you drained that much off. A certain amount of fluid would have remained. Perhaps you should have started watching after five gallons. It is really hard to see clear fluid against the clear window and by the time the window is covered it will look empby.

olsarge

Equipment
L2501
Aug 5, 2016
Fresno CA
Thanks for the help. I was about 3/4 gallon over. I had forgot about the rear axle drains and since they are lower than the trans drains I probably had a bit left inside. Once the mark shows on the lens it quickly fills past there. I had someone watch while I drained a bit out until it was mid-level. Rechecked after use and all is good to go now.

angelo c

Equipment
Couple a wheel barrows, shovels and beer
Dec 23, 2019
Neshanic NJ
You may have already over filled it by the time you hit seven gallons. Although the stated capacity is 6.2 gallons it's unlikely you drained that much off. A certain amount of fluid would have remained. Perhaps you should have started watching after five gallons. It is really hard to see clear fluid against the clear window and by the time the window is covered it will look empby.
I just had a fluids change at my local and they charged me for 5 gallons SUDT so I asked ? " my manual says 7.6 gallons ? " you only charged for 5 why come? they said there may be residual fluids in lines ect. 7.6 is fully drained from factory.
does any one else have supporting info. My first hydro change.
Also they suggested 8o/90 gear oil in front rear and no SUDT ?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I just had a fluids change at my local and they charged me for 5 gallons SUDT so I asked ? " my manual says 7.6 gallons ? " you only charged for 5 why come? they said there may be residual fluids in lines ect. 7.6 is fully drained from factory.
does any one else have supporting info. My first hydro change.
Also they suggested 8o/90 gear oil in front rear and no SUDT ?
This is a perfect reason for you to change it yourself, no variations in what you want to what you get.

Yes normal for them to take less than max volume, but that's a lot different.

They cheaped out on the front axle! ;)

angelo c

Equipment
Dec 23, 2019
Neshanic NJ
This is a perfect reason for you to change it yourself, no variations in what you want to what you get.

funny, I asked specifically about the Fronts and they were very adamant about the gear oil. I over paid and left almost happy. I chalked it up to my own ignorance. My responsibility to know better....and I will. Nobody ever said education came cheap.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA

I disagree with that. While 80-90 gear oil may cost less per gallon that SUDT., it provides much better shock cushioning to the front differential and if you have a small leak, it won't run out as fast, not that I have because I don't

Kubota recommends SUDT (or UDT) in older units but also states that 80-90 gear oil is an acceptable substitute in all my owners manuals.

I've always used 80-90 GL5 in both my tractors and all the ones I had before them.

SOP for me after the first service onward.

angelo c

Equipment
Dec 23, 2019
Neshanic NJ
I disagree with that. While 80-90 gear oil may cost less per gallon that SUDT., it provides much better shock cushioning to the front differential and if you have a small leak, it won't run out as fast, not that I have because I don't

Kubota recommends SUDT (or UDT) in older units but also states that 80-90 gear oil is an acceptable substitute in all my owners manuals.

I've always used 80-90 GL5 in both my tractors and all the ones I had before them.

SOP for me after the first service onward.
the shop mentioned that it was VERY low in the fronts so they felt there MAY be a leak...if so it was better for the 80/90. I don't know the machine at all so maybe it wasn't the wrong choice. I can change it out later as I get acclimated with the service schedules and wants

degoniaorange82

Equipment
l2501hst, 5ft. tiller, box blade and finnish mower, subsoiler and plow
Nov 9, 2017
southwest indiana
the manual that came with my l2501hst calls for gear oil in the front axle, so when its due for a change, that's what it will get...and, while checking fluid levels this past summer, that is what came in mine.