Hyd oil

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
How much hyd oil will I lose changing the filter on a bx2380?
Less than a cup plus what is in the filter. The oil does not continue to drain when the filter is off on the BX series.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
AS Whitetiger said - you will not loose a lot - HOWEVER......... I would have my new filter READY to go as you spin the old off!!!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Don’t be in too-much of a hurry. Take the time to inspect and clean off the mounting base and to assure that ALL of the old filters’ gasket was removed. (and do not lubricate the new gasket with oil or grease as is often suggested because it will “coke” and GLUE the new gasket to the mounting base. Instead, smear a bit of silicone grease on the new gasket to accomplish what is actually intended…. lubricating the new gasket so it does not deform or slip or tear during installation…. while insuring that when you next remove the filter the gasket will not stick to the mounting base.) ;)

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Don’t be in too-much of a hurry. Take the time to inspect and clean off the mounting base and to assure that ALL of the old filters’ gasket was removed. (and do not lubricate the new gasket with oil or grease as is often suggested because it will “coke” and GLUE the new gasket to the mounting base. Instead, smear a bit of silicone grease on the new gasket to accomplish what is actually intended…. lubricating the new gasket so it does not deform or slip or tear during installation…. while insuring that when you next remove the filter the gasket will not stick to the mounting base.) ;)
I always just used the oil the filter will be filtering for gasket lubrication when changing oil filters.

Am I missing something? Honest question, as I certainly could be...never had an issue using oil...probably only changed a hundred or less filters though.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The intent of lubing the gasket is to prevent distortion during installation…not to seal the gasket. Silicone grease is specified for the spin on aircraft filters…so that’s what I started using about 30 years ago on all spin on filters and discovered that they all remove so much easier later-on while still accomplishing the original intent. Using oil or grease “sticks” the gasket to the mounting base and makes it difficult to remove the filter as well as sometimes causing the old gasket to remain on the engine, etc….. and causing problems with the new filter if not caught.

johndeerebones

Equipment
B7200 HST-D RC-60-72, L4200 GST MFWD with FEL
Aug 17, 2020
USA
True on the purpose. However if your oil is coking ever it is too hot.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
The intent of lubing the gasket is to prevent distortion during installation…not to seal the gasket. Silicone grease is specified for the spin on aircraft filters…so that’s what I started using about 30 years ago on all spin on filters and discovered that they all remove so much easier later-on while still accomplishing the original intent. Using oil or grease “sticks” the gasket to the mounting base and makes it difficult to remove the filter as well as sometimes causing the old gasket to remain on the engine, etc….. and causing problems with the new filter if not caught.
I get the importance of upmost reliability with aircraft.

BUT as long as a filter actually seals correctly, what does it matter what is used to lube it, except when taking it off and replacing it?

Land vehicles have less concerns...worst case...they can just park and not fall from the sky. BUT...seems like using oil as the lube on a filter gasket on an airplane would not turn out to be an issue, until the filter was removed maybe...

Again, never ran into an issue removing a filter that I used engine oil to lube the gasket with.

Of course the highest I fly is a far as I bounce off the seat when using the tractor and hit a bump!

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I often take the old filter and rub its oily gasket against the new one.
I would never take a chance of transferring dirt from anything to a new filter. Just use a bit of the new oil since it is right there.

Shekkie

Equipment
LX2610, Virnig 60" Grapple, WoodMaxx TM-86H, Woods 60" BB/72”RB
Feb 12, 2022
Grafton, Ohio
I’m Italian so I just rub it on my forehead before installing.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Nodlenor

Equipment
BX2380 w/loader, tiller, blade, dirt scoup, & Woods 5' 3 pt. mower.
Nov 22, 2020
North central Missouri
Thanks all. I asked the dealer this question when I bought a filter and he couldn’t answer my question. I don’t think he was the regular parts man. Anyway I knew I could rely on someone here, Thanks again.

johndeerebones

Equipment
B7200 HST-D RC-60-72, L4200 GST MFWD with FEL
Aug 17, 2020
USA
I would never take a chance of transferring dirt from anything to a new filter. Just use a bit of the new oil since it is right there.
Shadetrees have rebuilt engines for years on dirt. i wouldn't, but a tad of dirt isn't killing any machine.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Shadetrees have rebuilt engines for years on dirt. i wouldn't, but a tad of dirt isn't killing any machine.
Maybe not an old Johnny Popper, But these new tractors every tiny piece of dirt that can get into the system can do some serious damage.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Playing with dirt at a new oil filter may put that dirt on the output side where it would go directly to the moving parts. Shadetrees are still laying under their vehicles wondering why they have no time to enjoy life like others.