Husky

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
died an awful death this morning. That bad girl was running strong, sharp chain, and chips just a flyin and then BANG, and silence not a sound. tryed pulling the cord and, well you guys know that sickening sound, theres nothing there, just the sound of little pieces tumbling around in side, shake it and it sounds like a markka, piston is not moving. I guess when a 2 popper goes bang, thats never a good sound.:mad:.And the hits just keep on commin,,,

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Well the good news is, new chain saws are Awesome compared to some of the older ones. A smart pro series saw is a joy to use. Bad news is they cost $$. But hey if you don't spend it on yourself, your kids will blow it on worthless ideas once your gone!

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Have one husky and a Stihl 026 and 036, much prefer the Stihl saws.

Sorry for your loss Skeets giver her a proper burial!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Skeets - my deepest condolences for the Husky.

It was a 455?

I haven't heard great things about Husky/Jonsered in a while. Now that they're in the chain stores now, those aren't the saws we would have bought 30 years ago.

Biggest saw I ever ran was a Husky 3120 - talk about a beast. But that was just a test at dealership.

I know some will disagree, but I think the Husky's/Jonsereds are good for a few hours/year homeowner use.

A buddy bought a new 572(?) couple years ago. Commercial saw. Damn electronics wouldn't make the thing run on the second day. Now that can happen with a Stihl, too, because they have that fancy stuff....

You do quite a bit of cutting - I just don't think they're made to hold up anymore.

I would REALLY suggest a Stihl. Been a Stihl guy since 1980, with an 056 Super.

I've got a Stihl 046 Magnum I could ship to Coal Country for you. It's probably 25 years old and I don't use it much anymore, but I hate to part with it.......

I almost bought one of these a couple years ago -https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/professional-saws/ms362cm/

A 391 would be a good replacement for your Husky:

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/farm-and-ranch-saws/ms391/

JMHO......

Last edited:

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Yeah, I know that feeling.:(:(

But it goes away when you realize you get to research and buy a new one.;):D

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I've had really good luck with my husky 445 :D After one of the tornados, mine was still running at the end of the day, where the stihl and jonsered were dead in the water screaming no more!!!! Till they cooled for a few hours. Then they would run again :rolleyes:

Skeets, sorry about your loss. And good luck with what you decide for a new saw :D:D

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I just upgraded to the MS-261 C-M Pro. Go try one out at your local saw place. I really liked how light it was. After using it for a few weeks, cutting down 75 trees, bucking 8 cords of wood and limbing tons of trees, I am even happier with the purchase

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Thanks guys I know Yall know that feeling,,,, No it was a 360, with an 18 inch bar,, worked it little heart out for over 10 years doing what it was not designed to do, way more cutting than it was intended to do and paid for it self several times over.
I am thinking about looking at an Echo, suppose to be a good saw. Anyway I look at it I need a saw.. What say you ?

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Im a Stihl guy.... 241, 362, 461 and 661.

But I have heard good things about the Echo line of saws. I don't know anything about them.... Just what I hear. For moderate use, they are worth the money. Look into Dolmar as well. Fraction of the cost of the pro Stihl and Husky lines but they are dandy for the money.

What is your budget?

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
Not experienced with many brands, but I've had good luck with my 359 husky. It was given to me for parts because someone ran straight gas in it and seised it. After a few hours of polishing the cylinder and cleaning the Piston ring groove, it needed a $5 gasket. Been running strong for 3 years and counting.

My back up is a poulan wild thing. Bought it reconditioned 13 years ago. Not very powerful and it shakes a lot, but it always runs when I need it.

I haven't heard much good about the newer Huskies, because of all the electronics.

Happy shopping!

sawmill

Equipment
bx24 backhoe/fel, 48" Bush mower
Nov 16, 2014
ione, washington
Thanks guys I know Yall know that feeling,,,, No it was a 360, with an 18 inch bar,, worked it little heart out for over 10 years doing what it was not designed to do, way more cutting than it was intended to do and paid for it self several times over.
I am thinking about looking at an Echo, suppose to be a good saw. Anyway I look at it I need a saw.. What say you ?
Skeets, my Stihl went 'kaput' about 6 weeks ago. It was always hard to start. So I bought an Echo CS400 with 18" bar. I've used the heck out of it and it is a beast. It's light weight and sooo easy to start. Mine started the second pull right out of the box. Echo also comes with a 5 year warranty. :)

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
died an awful ....,
ok.... now think about this...... a guy sits down to a thread called HUSKY.... being a former owner of a Husky..... DOG.... he reads it with a DOG in mind:

DIED AN AWFUL DEATH TODAY. .....aww that sucks. poor dog.

That bad girl was running strong, sharp chain, and chips just a flyin and then BANG, and silence not a sound. ....yikes..... damn must a been a SQUIRREL and the gal just took off after it and BANG....... broke her own neck when she hit the end of the chain. Uggggggg...... damnnnn. :eek:

tryed pulling the cord and, well you guys know that sickening sound, theres nothing there, just the sound of little pieces tumbling ... Really??? you pulled on her chain/cord and you could feel the crunch of her bones... ugggg.. little TOO MUCH INFORMATION. Why would anyone else know what that feels like??? ...... :eek:

Next post mentions chainsaw!!!!....... OHHHHHHHHHHHHH a "chainsaw".......

THANK GOD....... :eek:

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
ok.... now think about this...... a guy sits down to a thread called HUSKY.... being a former owner of a Husky..... DOG.... he reads it with a DOG in mind:
DIED AN AWFUL DEATH TODAY. .....aww that sucks. poor dog.
That bad girl was running strong, sharp chain, and chips just a flyin and then BANG, and silence not a sound. ....yikes..... damn must a been a SQUIRREL and the gal just took off after it and BANG....... broke her own neck when she hit the end of the chain. Uggggggg...... damnnnn. :eek:
tryed pulling the cord and, well you guys know that sickening sound, theres nothing there, just the sound of little pieces tumbling ... Really??? you pulled on her chain/cord and you could feel the crunch of her bones... ugggg.. little TOO MUCH INFORMATION. Why would anyone else know what that feels like??? ...... :eek:
Next post mentions chainsaw!!!!....... OHHHHHHHHHHHHH a "chainsaw".......
THANK GOD....... :eek:
I had the same reaction.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
My husky weed trimmer that i bought new has had 5-6 tanks of fuel through it. Last summer the ign coil went bad. Go to run it this spring,same thing. Will be me meeting my maker from pulling that go string till my arms fall off. So,i shoulda got a stihl.

Had a hard starting stihl chainsaw brought to me. Air filter has a flap that serves as a choke.it was sticking and wouldnt seal. Ten seconds with a sharp knife and it fires right up.

The sounds of parts escaping their moorings isnt a good one. Sold echo back in the 80's or early 90's. They cant be all that bad if they are still around. Hey, i sold pioneer too, they were good too. But long gone. Most commercial use saws are pretty stout, but the price is premium and usually saws are bigger and heavier.

clay45

Equipment
L2050DT, TSC 5ft Rake, Tartar 5ft rototiller, TSC Middlebuster, TSC CarryAll
Feb 6, 2015
SC
Personally I like Echo, Husky, and Stihl in that order. All three are great depending upon the model, how its cared for, and used.

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I know a lot of the guys that cut for a living use huge Huskys, 32"+ bars and they weigh a ton. I'll never have that much envy, I will stick with a 20 inch " lightweight" saw. Much easier to limb with, and cut all day with. My lower back thanks me.

beaterboss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901, LA525-FEL, BMLX-3164 3pt Blower, 72" Coteck Sno Pusher, 60" Box Blade
Feb 20, 2017
St.Francois,New Brunswick. Canada
Well I have 2 Echos..Love them. Light, start up quickly and easily. Although mine are not professional saws, (a CS-400 for home use, and a 304C I keep on my SXS for trail obstructions), I love them both. They are 8 and 3 years old respectively and I have never had any issues with either. I have cut maybe 40 to 45 cords of wood with the CS-400 and it has never skipped a beat. I have several Echo products and have always been totally satisfied. I had Husky's before, (a chain saw and a brush cutter), and when I swapped everything out to Echo, I saw a noticeable improvement. Results may vary, but I have always been well served by my Echo products.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
I'm an echo fan as well, I have the cs400 which has never failed me and has cut a lot of blow down, most of which is some big trees. It's light and easy to start. I have a PAS power head as well that I use for trimming and also a pole saw, it's damm handy. I won't buy them from Home Depot, I get them at a local dealer so if there is a problem I can get it fixed.